RPG Maker Forums

Willibab
Willibab
Purity and Virtue does kind of sound too goodie goodie, like its definitely the right path, but you can also be a dick if you want xD
The Stranger
The Stranger
Well, their Star Wars games weren't all that morally grey. You had Light side and Dark side, and in the lore the Dark side, at least according to George Lucas, is evil. However, that evil needs to exist to balance out the Light side which is good.
The Stranger
The Stranger
The Obisidan game, the second Knights of the Old Republic game, tried to go all morally grey, but I didn't enjoy its ideas as much, if I'm being honest. I like my Sith being cruel and what not; it's also why I love playing Sith in the Old Republic MMO.
Willibab
Willibab
I would disagree with even the creator in that case, the Light side had a ton of issues xD Its deffo the better option tho, dark side has more freedom tho. But those are pretty extreme. Im not gonna make morality that simplistic, or at least try to.
Willibab
Willibab
I love being evil too, but having options is good even if im always going to choose that path.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I mean, if you're going Medieval fantasy, you'll likely be dealing with some sort of moral absolutism. Well, I guess it all depends on the faiths of the peoples in your setting. If an outside force is corrupting the character, that, at least to me, sounds malevolent, which would then tell me that there is a polar opposite force, an objective good.
Willibab
Willibab
Im more inspired by mass effect anyway tbh :p
Willibab
Willibab
Its a lot of lore to to through so ill just say that the corrupting forces are doing so in order to survive, they are evil from the pov of mortals because they are their victims but if they didnt do what they do, they would die themselves. They can either choose to be a slave and be taken care of or be free and have to fend for themselves, in whatever way possible.
Willibab
Willibab
The main character can at some point choose to become one of them, meaning your pov changes :p We dont think of ourselves as evil for killing animals to survive (some do but you get the point) :p
Willibab
Willibab
Maybe i should just keep the morality stuff hidden xD
The Stranger
The Stranger
So, a sort of evil by necessity kinda thing? Kinda reminds me of the Orcs in Warcraft, how they were only evil because they were tricked into enslaving themselves to a demon by drinking its blood. I'm a fan of morally grey things, even if also like objective good and evil in certain stories. lol.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I think keeping it hidden would work a lot better when working with actual grey morality. We don't have morality scales in reality, we just make choices and have to deal with the consequences. The only real morality scale we have is our own conscience. If we feel like complete sh*t after doing something, then it was probably a bad choice in accordance with our moral code.
Willibab
Willibab
True, i just planned to keep some content behind the choices you make. But i dont really need to use a point system for it. It can be tied with specific decisions you make in specific quests. I love replayable games and branching paths/choices are a good way to add replayability.
Willibab
Willibab
I just remembered something, one of the reasons i added the morality stuff was to fill the screen lol. (first idea was Fame/Infamy)Status.PNG
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, I've never enjoyed point based moral systems in RPGs. Having actual consequences for the choices you make is far better. it just doesn't make any sense to me that my character can't say this or do that because they don't quite have 50 points in evilness. xD I mean, you could have a sort of point system for your reputation with characters or factions instead of for your morality.
Willibab
Willibab
Can replace them with 2 additional out of combat stats.
Willibab
Willibab
True but i have alot of factions, i went a little wild on the world building xD But yeah, there WILL be a lot of consequences. Love that too :p
Willibab
Willibab
I want to only be able to join 1 faction per playthrough, i hated being able to be the head of all factions in Elder Scrolls games. Alltho it was a choice ofc.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, in Skyrim I don't join many factions on a single character. It's weird that a character with next to no magical skill can wind up becoming the archmage of the College of Winterhold. xD
Willibab
Willibab
Indeed, i always play as a very specific thing. Its why i like being a mage because you can specialize in so many different ways. I'd want to have that freedom in my game too tbh, but the more freedom the more work it is. Would a brute soldier ask the same questions as an intelligent scribe? But thats where extra stats could help, a high knowledge score would open up different dialogue etc. I dunno...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.
Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D3sty