RPG Maker Forums

pohutukawa
pohutukawa
I believe that that's something that shouldn't necessarily be expected of you, though--
That should be established by them to begin with in my opinion, unless they don't know about it or something.
gstv87
gstv87
isn't the *capability of abstraction* a requirement for the realization of *art*?
Dungeonmind
Dungeonmind
I think for the most part its just good will to provide some sort of reference for the artist. Otherwise its what we call a design fee. If the artist has to come up with everything including what it looks like then they should get paid for that part to right?
ATT_Turan
ATT_Turan
@Dungeonmind When I commissioned an artist to design my Web site logo and I gave the clear description of "a music staff with several notes on it with a rainbow gradient," I would absolutely have dropped anyone who wanted to charge a design fee because I didn't give them a visual reference instead of them Googling it.
ATT_Turan
ATT_Turan
I agree with pohutukawa, there's no reason to presume someone has this condition. If someone wants to get commissioned by me, they will tell me what they need from me.
Dungeonmind
Dungeonmind
Sometimes a small reference is just a small piece of text, it's not always an image.
Storyteller-Hero
Storyteller-Hero
I'm just saying that it wouldn't hurt to give a few examples in the commission inquiry, like saying you want a cross of the styles of A and B, or copy-paste a few easy-searched terms/links. That can even help artists who don't have aphantasia get an idea of what the commissioner wants.
Storyteller-Hero
Storyteller-Hero
@gstv87 -- the mind's eye is not actually necessary to produce art - artists with aphantasia seem to do it more intuitively/dynamically, or may have their own references on hand to assist themselves.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
I mean, this is a very good idea anyway for best practices even if your artist doesn't have this odd disorder I had never heard of until this exact second.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
I ran an indie pub that commissioned 100s of pieces of art, use of photo/visual reference image was standard practice. Even if someone doesn't have Avantasia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantasia) there is no reason to assume they're going to picture something you described the same way you did or to risk a commission or timeline based on that.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I didn't realize that Deers can grow so big... I almost hit one while going home from work - phew... approx 10cm separated us from accident... (tomorrow link to video from my dashcam). I'm too shocked to think straight.
Just watched a very good drama. It left this very heavy sadness inside me T.T

As a game dev, there's always this other feeling I have after, for example, watching a sad drama: "Understanding +1!"
I just don't know why, but it's funny.
5.gif
Ugh. The one time I forget to save every hour or so is also the day my computer crashes. That's life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daisukiuwu