RPG Maker Forums

Aoi Ninami
Aoi Ninami
A simulation is a simplified microsystem, concentrating on particular features of a real interaction while ignoring everything else. SimCity, for example, is vastly simpler than a real city. Emulation, on the other hand, aims to reproduce the full functionality of a different system.
lianderson
lianderson
One is to create a model of realism, the other is to imitate in order to reach or surpass.
ScorchedGround
ScorchedGround
in what context though?

Simulation is basically taking something from real life and trying to incorporate it fully or partly into a video game or other medium.

Emulation I only know from emulators. So basically a program that can run games on the PC that were meant for a different system.
For example playing Nintendo games like pokemon on the PC.
ATT_Turan
ATT_Turan
@ScorchedGround I presume the context of video games.
So a simulation is having a crafting game where you pick up ores in a cave and turn them into a sword. Emulation is taking your pick axe to carve the ores out, smelt them in a forge into bars, hammer those on an anvil...
Finnuval
Finnuval
Picked this from a very long text :

What makes a simulation different from an emulation is that the simulation is used as a standalone reference for the desired observable behavior and/or functionality. It is not (typically) used in place of the thing that is being simulated.

continue below...
Finnuval
Finnuval
the primary difference is that an emulation is typically used in an operational context where it is put in place of the “real” system being emulated.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Simulation = pretending to be (as) real (as possible), while actually, it is a fake.
Emulation = a substitution of the real thing, while also being real.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
I don't think this will help with the answers (thanks everyone!) but the context I was thinking of is dreams, actually. (Weird, I know.)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_3 added!
index.php

ScreenShot_1_3_2022_1_32_12.png
I feel QSprite for MV is underrated. I basically am able to use my chibi sideview battlers I drew on the maps and have all the motions available. this'll help a lot with cutscenes.
I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on
Doing RPG Maker News for this week. (January 14th - 20th, 2022)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSupra