RPG Maker Forums

Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
Hmmmm.... Ads pay for content creators to create content. Using these no-ad aps is essentially piracy, as creators don't get paid for the content you consume. New-Pipe's 'position on advertising' doesn't really justify it either imo.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
A lot of content creators choose to go that route, several I listen to refuse to be platformed unless the option to turn ads off exists. "only use the corporate monolith or you're basically a criminal" is a terrible argument.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I prefer to give funding directly to content creators so that they can branch out to alternatives and not be forced to be serfs to the corporate conglomerate, youtube does more to harm small creators than any third party app ever could, but by all means keep blaming the users for the problems created by what is essentially a vertical monopoly on a powertrip that mistakenly believes they are too big to fail.
Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
@Philosophus Vagus : A lot of people choose to release games for free, or on the more dev friendly Itch.io. Some only release on Steam. Should I pirate the ones on Steam so as not to support the corporate monolith? If creators, or subscribers, don't like Youtube there is an obvious solution...
Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
I too prefer to give money straight to creators. I too hate the shady practices of big companies. But some creators rely on ad revenue. Bypassing it just to save 30 seconds seems unfair to them.
Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
We shouldn't punish small creators for using Youtube by cutting off their income.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I disagree, but then I don't actually use youtube for much of anything anymore. Youtube shouldn't punish small creators by cutting off their income AND forcing advertisements on their channels that they aren't allowed to collect the income from and Youtube does that all the time now. Am I still a pirate when I use an ad blocker to block ads from a demonetized channel?
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
Bottom line is small creators aren't getting crap anyway, they are being censored, their speech is being compelled and they are pushed down in the algorithms in favor of corporate sources. If they choose to play that game and want to get upset because others wont well then their channel will fail because they are being suppressed by corporate interests and they are actively lashing out at the wrong people-
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
-and splintering their own audience in the process. Find alternatives, stop being a serf and empowering a vertical monopoly that thinks it owns your content and can editorialize it on a whim. These companies would collapse or be forced to reform if people stopped tolerating their bs, instead of blaming people who won't tolerate it for the problems the companies continue to create.
Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
Your argument seems compelling... except for the fact that two ethical wrongs don't make a right.
YES, Youtube sucks. So don't consume content from there... but also don't steal it.
Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
"Am I still a pirate when I use an ad blocker to block ads from a demonetized channel?"
Yes, you're still using YT's servers right? You''re just stealing from a big company alone, not from a big company and a small creator.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I reject the idea that it is theft to deny revenue to a company that is also denying that revenue to the creator, or that my choice to remunerate content creators personally doesn't offset whatever "theft" you think I'm guilty of. And I don't use youtube other than to advertise alternatives to creators that don't branch out, that I wish would. Most of which are demonetized most of the time anyway.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
Look, lets just agree to accept that I'm a scummy thief and pirate tp you because I don't like the way big companies screw people over and that no matter how I justify it or take active measures to not screw people over myself that won't change, and no amount of you telling me how bad I am for feeling that way will change that because I'm honestly a bit low-key proud of that disdain.
Mike-Turtle
Mike-Turtle
Using a service without paying is theft, regardless of your moral dislike of the company providing it.

The only way to morally deny revenue is by not using the service,

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

More words of wisdom: Trying to make everyone happy will just make you miserable.
Ads: "Up to 90% off"
Reality: 9 items at 10% Off, one item at 90% off
if you were working on a rhythm-based retro fighting game, would you rather have the jumps take up two beats (one for jumping, one for landing) or just one?
Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking