Comments on Profile Post by SLEEP

1. Archeia
    Archeia
    I found LPs a lot more helpful since the developer can see the reaction first hand.
    Nov 16, 2013
  2. Celianna
    Celianna
    Also useful to see how a player would play your game, because then you can adjust according to how fast the player will figure out something.
    Nov 16, 2013
  3. SLEEP
    SLEEP
    Well, that's fine, assuming the game's developer is your single viewer.
    Nov 16, 2013
  4. Archeia
    Archeia
    This is the RM boards, a lot are developers and learn by watching the stream/LP on how others react to the game. It happens.
    Nov 16, 2013
  5. Archeia
    Archeia
    Just because it's not their game doesn't mean they won't pick up good stuff and bad stuff that they shouldn't or could apply to their projects.
    Nov 16, 2013
  6. Dalph
    Dalph
    Plus, we love watching people play RM games^^
    Nov 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. SLEEP
    SLEEP
    You can learn just as much from a screenshot LP. A SSLP isn't a medium devoid of goof-ups, first impressions, and in-depth looks.
    Nov 16, 2013
  8. Archeia
    Archeia
    Uh we would have to agree to disagree on that because #1 it takes a while to make an SSLP, #2, you can see the actual playstyles of certain players on the get-go that they could not put in an SSLP. It helps since it's streamline and you can see the reactions there. with a SSLP, they would have to refine what they experience to a certain extent. Plus when bugs happen, there's things you can pick up while they're playing vs. a report.
    Nov 16, 2013
  9. Dalph
    Dalph
    A video is always better than an image.
    Nov 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. zachfoss
    zachfoss
    lets players are people who play games.
    Nov 16, 2013
  11. SLEEP
    SLEEP
    I think that in SSLPs, play styles show up pretty clearly. An SSLP does refine the experience, but in a way that makes it more entertaining for a general audience and still useful for a dev. Like, it cuts out repetitive random encounters, travel time, talking to NPC's, other filler neither devs nor viewers need. And if something noteworthy does happen, or even if the game goes sour as a result, the LPer can point it out in a paragraph that can even be spontaneously typed!
    Nov 16, 2013
  12. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    ... Because LPers are spontaneous and off the cuff, and writing an article and doing screenshots really isn't.

I think a lot more can be learned by experiencing the game as an active medium as it was meant to be played to understand potential flaws.
    Nov 16, 2013
  13. Lunarea
    Lunarea
    I don't think I've ever seen a screenshot LP. Screenshots + text make me think of reviews -- which are awesome, and also much needed. :)
    Nov 16, 2013
  14. SLEEP
    SLEEP
    also why is everyone talking like screenshot LP's aren't quite actually LP's? And like LP's are spontaneous and off the cuff, and this is the normal thing? (post commentary, edited video LP's exist as well ya know!) Maybe I just have experienced Let's Play as something different than you all!
    Nov 16, 2013
  15. SLEEP
    SLEEP
    Nov 16, 2013
  16. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Most of the Let's Plays I've watched were live streamed. I think that for the RM community that is actually the best approach because it views the game in the way it was intended to be viewed, rather than edited.

If a LPer dislikes a game and rags on it and I watched him play it, I can tell if I would like it or not, if he just rags on it in a review or edited screenshot view, I can't.
    Nov 16, 2013
  17. SLEEP
    SLEEP
    So, if a guy posted the first part of an SSLP in a thread, you couldn't tell him how you felt about his playthrough so far? Like... why not? I guess the RM community prefers it, obviously, so ok alright.
    Nov 16, 2013