Comments on Profile Post by Ms Littlefish

1. nio kasgami
    nio kasgami
    Me I always kill my character >:3!
    Apr 1, 2014
  2. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    I can usually kill off minor characters if it serves vital to the plot (and it has to still be emotional). But the idea of killing off any of my main characters is giving me an existential crisis. I'll admit it. I like happy endings. I love my characters. :(
    Apr 1, 2014
  3. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    No. If the story only works if the character dies, then the character must die. I see no need to keep "main characters" alive for the sake of pleasing a fanbase or an audience. If both of those were mature, they would appreciate the how and why of the death and properly grieve over it.
    Apr 1, 2014
  4. Dalph
    Dalph
    I have no problems with Death, I mean if the story demands it, why not?

As much as I love happy endings, they aren't good if they feel forced in some way.
    Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    If it has a purpose it's not an issue for me. I guess it just makes sense for some characters to die and not for others. (And I'm not a fan of the resurrection trope either).

It's on my mind because I know it's commonly brought up about the way characters are killed off.
    Apr 1, 2014
  6. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Okay, if we look through literature and stuff, we can see that characters are killed off fairly frequently. It doesn't matter so much "how" they go, so much as "why" and that they receive some kind of proper send-off by the author. Ever read "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King? One of the main characters dies by pretty much "bad luck". Some people would say it was a bad way to kill a character. However, it was executed so well, that not a single pe...
    Apr 1, 2014
  7. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    However, it was executed so well, that not a single person complained about it. We all wept for the next chapter about it as well. Character death is usually a matter of execution and respect for the character. It has nothing to do with how they go.
    Apr 1, 2014
  8. Dalph
    Dalph
    @Ms Littlefish:

I personally dislike the whole concept of resurrection both in anime (aka Dragon Ball and Naruto) and in videogames.

It feels like a pathetic attempt to exploit the characters.

@Tai_MT:

The Dark Tower was awesome..until that Big Reset Button...ugh
    Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    @Dalph Definitely It's just silly. You want the emotional impact of the death and the plot advancement you may receive from it, but without actually going all the way through with it. If a character has to die, they should sort of you know, die. I can't think of a plot where resurrection didn't feel like a get out of jail free card.
    Apr 1, 2014
  10. Dalph
    Dalph
    @Ms Littlefish:

Yes, Resurrection destroys the whole emotional impact of a tragic death. That's why in my games Death is "THE END". Although I like toying with the idea of Reincarnation after it. (only in a different body and with different memories and personality).
    Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Neither of you ever saw "Clannad After Story" did you? Ha ha. The "Resurrection" at the end of that was just as emotional as the deaths of the characters involved. But, that's the nature of the story being told.

The problem with resurrection is that it's usually just a cop-out and makes very little sense in the world it happens. It's there to keep the fanbase happy.

However, in Clannad after Story, main characters remain dead for like 10+...
    Apr 1, 2014
  12. Archeia
    Archeia
    I killed off characters since the story demanded it...they usually don't live past the age of 25.
    Apr 1, 2014
  13. Dalph
    Dalph
    @Tai_MT:

Nope, never...but if it's the nature of the story I guess it's ok.

I agree with your point however.
    Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    It's very easy to do. Especially when another character does it for you.
    Apr 1, 2014
  15. Dalph
    Dalph
    I should be already dead in Nessy's stories then, since I'm 26...XD
    Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. wallacethepig
    wallacethepig
    I always end up killing most of my characters, be they minor or major. George R.R. Martin would be proud of me.
    Apr 1, 2014
  17. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    LOL! It was George R.R. Martin that got me thinking about this today. I haven't read/watched any Game of Thrones but I've heard. Oh, have I heard.
    Apr 1, 2014
  18. Saltwater Croc
    Saltwater Croc
    I totally feel you. I cried when one character died. He was in the book all of a few chapters!!
    Apr 1, 2014
  19. That Bread
    That Bread
    Its painful, but I've done and tears were had... I'll never forget them!!!
    Apr 1, 2014