Comments on Profile Post by Sketcy-Sketch

1. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    Either one works for me. Age isn't something that really determines self worth so much as one's actions.
    May 18, 2014
  2. Clydous
    Clydous
    21. But then it depends on the kind of story they're in. If it's a casual school-themed story, then 17 is better. If the main character will be traveling with a group of others on an epic quest to save the world from the clutches of an evil mastermind, then 21 is better. Heck, older, even.
    May 18, 2014
  3. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Over 9000. I like me some Elf protagonists. Especially if they're female with huge swords. Ohhhhhh yeah.
    May 18, 2014
  4. Sketcy-Sketch
    Sketcy-Sketch
    @palladinthug: I agree. :)

@Clydous: My character is 21, but I realized that a lot of characters are much younger in some of these games. For instance, you have a 13 year old in Kingdom Hearts, and surprisingly characters like Zidane and Garnet are only 16 (and technically Garnet barely 16 as it is her birthday in the opening of the game). I figured that was too young in reality, but at the same time I wondered if their ages were reflective of the target audience.

@Tai: lol :p
    May 18, 2014
  5. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    My problem with young protagonists has always been "they are saying things people that age wouldn't say. They are reacting in ways people that age wouldn't react". There are some things you can't fake with age, even if they have the "wise beyond their years" mentality.
    May 18, 2014
  6. Milennin
    Milennin
    Either one works. Age doesn't matter as long as you have a good character.
    May 18, 2014
  7. Sketcy-Sketch
    Sketcy-Sketch
    @Milennin: True. :)

@Tai_MT: I know! I've thought that for a while now. They really make their characters unrealistically mature, wise, and understanding.
    May 18, 2014
  8. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Well, I was one of those kids that "grew up too fast" and was "wise beyond my years". But, you're still a kid, without the experience of having the world out to crush you instead of just your personal problems. It's easy to tell who is and who is not a "kid" on the internet because of that. There's a distinct difference between young kids and adults, and it's simply the experience of more years on the planet. You can't fake it.
    May 18, 2014
  9. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)
    May 18, 2014
  10. Ksi
    Ksi
    It depends on their skill level. If you're trying to pass them off as skilled in the ways of battle, well, that kind of skill takes time to cultivate so upping the age a bit can help give the illusion of having more experience under their belt. If they're new to battling, well, younger works, especially if they're just starting their journey in life.
    May 18, 2014