RPG Maker Forums

Lunarea
Lunarea
Ditto. The term render makes me think of 3D.
prexus
prexus
Render is computer-ese for Draw. Pre-Render, logically, means Pre-Draw, as in draw the map before its shown in the game (whereas the default editor is interpreted tile data drawn.) Render doesn't imply 3D at all.
Archeia
Archeia
Render is commonly used as a 3D term by the masses though. The key here is the user friendliness or the "masses" understanding.

I know the right term is pre-render but it's like how people never heard of Proof of Concept or PILOTs when pitching a game idea.

Point is, you're talking to people who aren't really serious about game making (well most of them) and is just doing this as a hobby. If they are serious, they will do the research themselves and l...
Archeia
Archeia
learn these things. Got cut off :p
prexus
prexus
I don't think it's fair to assume everyone is an idiot and won't understand a simple concept. In fact, I find that sort of a rude stance to take on the subject. Just like one should use the right tool for the right job, no matter their skill level; one should use the right term for the corresponding thing.
Archeia
Archeia
I didn't say any idiot or any inflammatory things on that statement?

I was referring to the "global" use of terms. The thing is, if you use the term Pre render mapping, the very first thing that came into mind is 3D rendering that is the most commonly used. People would then assume incorrectly (most of the time) that RM has 3D or would ask where the hell is this pre render option.
Archeia
Archeia
It's like how I can't use steps on an instruction because design savvy people interpret them differently. So we use Stacks. Idk, if you're getting what I'm saying :X
prexus
prexus
I don't understand your example with Steps/Stacks.

Would "Pre-Drawn Maps" be more acceptable? It means exactly the same thing, but doesn't use a word that some people might not know the meaning of. Although to be honest, just as many people are likely to not know what the word Parallax means, either. They just know that's what people call the mapping style so they use the term. I don't see why they need to know the definition of Render to use the term Pre-Re...
Archeia
Archeia
For the example, when we were writing instructions for pop up boxes, I wrote something along the lines of in order to increase a "step" but I was told not to use that because "step" is a reserved term. So "stacks" is more beneficial for both designers and the masses when understanding instructions etc.

So if you use Render, which...has different meanings to other people. It gets confusing.
prexus
prexus
..the term Pre-Render.*

got cut off.. maybe this isn't the best place for a discussion.
prexus
prexus
That's slightly different, the Steps/Stack thing, if I understand what you mean. They told you not to use Step because its a reserved term. It has a pre-defined meaning in that application and shouldn't be used. It'd be like if I wanted to call character sets "Character Animations". We wouldn't use that because Animations are a reserved term in RM* and it is misleading.
Archeia
Archeia
No, by steps as in by design people, not in the program itself.

But if you put it that way, then Parallax mapping would also make sense and easier to understand. Since you're using the Parallax feature of RM to show your maps. Prerender on the other hand is nowhere to be seen so it's confusing.
Archeia
Archeia
Like you know...Multimedia Design/Art students or just Design people in general. :X
Indinera
Indinera
You guys should have created a topic lol
EZaxess
EZaxess
Parallax is also a term used in recent, actual development so I don't see the difference with your term (which isn't a professional or more accurate one either).
prexus
prexus
Parallax, noun

The apparent displacement of an observed object due to a change in the position of the observer.

It is perfectly fine for the feature in RM to be called Parallax because it can be made to slide around the screen, which can be used to create the Parallax effect.
randomuser
he has a point albeit small
Elements
Elements
I'm sure the world won't end regardless of what people choose to call it,people who are truly interested will eventually learn the difference and call it by the proper name, I find this kind of rants kinda pointless :V...
Sailerius
Sailerius
A parallax map is a map applied to a texture in order to specify displacement on certain texture coordinates. This is a well-known and widely-used term in game development. The term "prerendered" is also a well-understood and widely-used term in game development for this very type of practice. Why not call it what it is instead of misusing a legitimate term?
Elements
Elements
>Why not call it what it is instead of misusing a legitimate term?

Cause people don't care enough, plain and simple. Bliss of ignorance, whatever you wanna call it lol, and people who do care will be right and will call it by the actual name. I don't see what the point is in getting so worked up about the ignorance of others...1:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....
Finished with the ground work for my class system, using Ellye's Class Change Equipment and Yanfly's Class Change Core plugins to implement an equip based subclass feature!
Hi people! I was wondering... Here in Brazil, we have a whats app group for we talk about rpg maker and our projects. A more informal way for we meet each other. Is there any whats app group out there? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnuRavi