Comments on Profile Post by EFizzle

1. Sharm
    Sharm
    Be prepared to buy random things that you never even knew you needed.
    Oct 14, 2014
  2. Alkorri
    Alkorri
    That you keep a slipper or roll of newspaper handy for bugs you don't want sharing the same living space with you.
    Oct 14, 2014
  3. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    One cup cofee brewers are good for making lunch as well (without a disposable cup = perfect hot water)
    Oct 14, 2014
  4. Lunarea
    Lunarea
    1. Clean a little every day, so that you don't get stuck with hours and hours of cleaning later on.

2. Cook your meals. It's not just cheaper, but better tasting and generally healthier.

3. Budget and savings. Keep track of your bills and expenses, and always save a little money aside for emergencies. Emergencies happen a lot more often than you'd think.

And congrats :D
    Oct 14, 2014
  5. Dalph
    Dalph
    Learn how to cook and clean your house...that's pretty much all.
    Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    Try to have three months rent in your savings in case you lose your job.
    Oct 14, 2014
  7. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    While you're at it, get a starter line of credit. Don't use it as credit but only use it against cash you have in the bank. Pay it off every month. Good way to build up credit quickly and that opens your options to easier living.
    Oct 14, 2014
  8. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    During colder months, if you pay for heat, after using the stove instead of shutting the stove door leave it open (after shutting off the stove) to get that extra bit of heat :D That's basically all I can think of that hasn't been said by others.
    Oct 14, 2014
  9. EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    Don't lock yourself outside.
    Oct 14, 2014
  10. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    YNAB is a nifty bit of software too, btw. Grab it during a Steam sale. And if you're tight on cash, prioritize bills and make payments against the important ones even if you can't pay the whole bill. It won't hurt you as bad as not paying the bill at all....
    Oct 14, 2014
  11. EFizzle
    EFizzle
    Oh man, these are all really good tips! Thanks guys! I guess I better learn to cook! :/
    Oct 14, 2014
  12. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    (Just don't use any line of credit to pay the bills if you don't have the money... that's a quick way to fall into credit card debt and is working AGAINST you instead of for you like I mentioned above)
    Oct 14, 2014
  13. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    Oh, and regarding heat. If you have a ceiling fan, make sure you use the switch on the fan (under the blades) to change the direction of the blades so they rotate clock wise. During the winter, this pushes heat down and sucks up cold air. Since heat rises, pushing it down with the fan keeps the room warmer and prevents precious heat from going through the roof.
    Oct 14, 2014
  14. EFizzle
    EFizzle
    Didn't know about the ceiling fan trick! I'll definitely try that out. And the credit thing scares me a little bit, since I'm still in college, I'll hold off on that for now.
    Oct 14, 2014
  15. Alkorri
    Alkorri
    I recently learned to cook four years ago when living in uni lodgings. It really cuts down expenses and can be far tastier (or more interesting) than anything you can get from a takeaway!
    Oct 14, 2014
  16. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    If you don't have the will power to treat the credit card with respect (and only use it against money in the bank) then yes, avoid a credit card. If you do it the right way though, a credit card is a good tool to help improve your life. Use it FOR you. Too many people use it against them (as... credit) and that's why credit card debt is through the roof. It takes discipline and responsibility.
    Oct 14, 2014
  17. nio kasgami
    nio kasgami
    Like Nathannial said I wanted to have a credit card and the bank owner said it to me : don't use it in waste spend use it in urgency case so its help a lot : >
    Oct 14, 2014
  18. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    Yeah, your local bank is a good place to get a starter card. They're usually a lot better about fees, approval, etc. Always best to go to your bank first than a company specifically for loans/credit.
    Oct 14, 2014
  19. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    Eventually though, if you ever want to buy your own home, building credit is essential. Don't rush into getting a card if you're not ready (it's responsible of you to acknowledge now might not be the smartest time). Starting earlier means a better credit score/larger history of responsibility/repayment and when that time comes to buy a house you'll have a much better time!
    Oct 14, 2014
  20. Jesse - PVGames
    Jesse - PVGames
    Just to add on to the Credit Card thing, you also want to prepare for the future (like buying a car or house sometime down the line), so it is generally advised to use your credit card like once per month to buy gasoline or groceries or something small, and then immediately pay it off when you get the bill. This will slowly build your credit up over time which is essential if you want to get a house or car in the future (unless you have that much cash laying around to outright buy those things).
    Oct 14, 2014
  21. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    *brofists Jesse*
    Oct 14, 2014
  22. Lunarea
    Lunarea
    In terms of cooking, go for really simple recipes at first. It's better to know how to make a very few things really well than know a dozen recipes that fail more than succeed.

Also, invest in a crock-pot. You throw some meat and veggies in it with water/broth in the morning, and come back home at night to a tender and delicious meal.
    Oct 14, 2014
  23. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    While you're at it, try to plan your meals around multiple uses. IE, leftovers can be combined to make something else later :) Get some Tupperware if you don't have it.. Leftovers can save you a lot of money.
    Oct 14, 2014
  24. EFizzle
    EFizzle
    You guys are the best! Thanks! I'll be sure to keep all these things in mind (but it's a lot so no promises tho)
    Oct 14, 2014
  25. Nathanial
    Nathanial
    Oh, also... One thing I learned personally hating to do dishes.. Just wash them as you use them individually. XD Waiting until they collect up for a "load" just isn't sanitary and is more trouble than it's worth. :p
    Oct 14, 2014
  26. EFizzle
    EFizzle
    Yeah, I hate doing dishes as well, figured cleaning them after I used them was the best route to take. Saves me loads of time later, especially when I'm too busy elsewhere
    Oct 14, 2014
  27. Venka
    Venka
    Lots of great advise already and Sharm had my first living alone experiences nailed. Also if you're budgeting things.. add in 20% that's not budgeted to something. Because there's always something you forget about that needs doing. Like buying toilet paper! Also for all the cooking, keep a binder that you can keep the recipes you like in. That way you can remember how to make it later :)
    Oct 14, 2014