RPG Maker Forums

BoluBolu
BoluBolu
I like both, it just a matter of how the dev balancing and implement it.in the game. Really I like both.
boldpaste2
boldpaste2
I don't mind random encounters as long as I can walk 15 steps without it going off.

Step, Step, Fight! Step, Step, Fight!
seita
seita
Yeah, as long as there's a high minimum number of steps where you won't get attacked after the last encounter.
Milennin
Milennin
Random is fine if you can walk a good bit without battling. Also if they are disabled in puzzle areas.
wallacethepig
wallacethepig
I'm more of a Pokemon guy myself: some random encounters, lots of event encounters, and ways to avoid the random ones (Repels).
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
Random encounters get too much hate, but it's not the mechanic itself that's at fault, it's how some games utilise it. As the others said above, making them too frequent or having them active when you're trying to solve a puzzle makes them very annoying. But otherwise they're pretty great.
Jeneeus Guruman
Jeneeus Guruman
Thanks for the answer, guys.

@seita: thanks, I now have an idea on what to add in my succeeding games. :D

@matseb: dang it! i'm planning to put a puzzle that needs an object to move that still has encounters but oh well, I'll cancel that idea.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I think people get too hung up on "random encounters" and "not random encounters". The major issue stems from whether or not your combat is fun and interesting, not whether or not the encounters are random or visible. The people that prefer visible simply prefer it because they can try to "avoid" encounters if they want to. In reality, people just need to focus on making good battle systems. If you have a good battle system, the encounter method does not matter at...
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
all.
Jeneeus Guruman
Jeneeus Guruman
I really find something not good about "non random encounters" because of the fact of "avoiding enemies". Avoiding enemies make the party not leveling up (unless there are some leveling methods aside from battling) and therefore makes the party weak when there is a boss fight.
Sailerius
Sailerius
Yes.

I will not play games with random encounters, at all.

If your game is broken because of non-random encounters, it's because you designed it poorly.
whitesphere
whitesphere
I think both styles of encounters are useful, as long as players can manage the frequency of random encounters, as others mentioned.
BoluBolu
BoluBolu
non-reandom encounter actually serve as a real challenge for me, you know, if I can defeat a boss with a very low leve, that's when I consider I am great, not when I can defeat boss when my level is high. With "non-random" I can always do this, but not with "random", but as I said I like both, even in puzzle area, a random encounter is fine for me, really. It just become annoying when the game does not do it right,

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Do you have an audio you want me to animate? If so send me the youtube link and I’ll animate it.
Okay, so I'm working on Draft 2 of my game's script.
Will try to keep you guys posted, if you're interested!

This is vid of my new game, Crystalgazers. A demo is available on my Gamejolt

I just thought of the best achievement for my game: "'I Didn't Know You Were a Developer!' Find and enter one or more dev room(s)."
I made this animation to apply to a job, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjrocks2000