RPG Maker Forums

Marsigne
Marsigne
I think I'd depend on the developer's ability. Like, a professional game developer (mostly non-indie guys) doesn't post demo like we developers do here for some reasons (one would be not finishing demo by talking instead of working), while developers like us post it to receive feedback and w/e, so I think I'd be better to make a demo and receive feedback, but that would be up to you. I'm glad if someone corrects me in anything, hehe :)
Ms Littlefish
Ms Littlefish
I personally think prototyping, test building, and drafting is the way to go. It's a lot easier to fix an issue (some you likely will not foresee) when the project is young and flexible; than it is to go back to a nearly complete and cemented product.
Tornado Samurai
Tornado Samurai
Yeah, I believe that using a prototype/demo is better to do than to release the full game. However, does it have to be substantially long? Do people go for short games?
odinnightowl
odinnightowl
i would say a demo perhaps show casing what you will offer in the game as well as starting the story of the game and covering the basis.. That way you will kno wif it works or doesn't and can have testers ,like myself try it out and provide you with feedback.
Marsigne
Marsigne
I agree. Maybe the best thing would be to release an "Alpha" then "Beta" and things like that where updates between them are notable if a tester want to test from one update to other big update instead of small updates, of course the Alpha and Beta would be updated but I think you get what I mean ;) about being long or short, I think it'd preferably be short but if it's necessary to be long then I don't see a problem.
Wavelength
Wavelength
A demo is probably the better way to go, but if you don't, make sure you have some friends try it out while it's in development. They'll catch things that you never even thought of.
Tornado Samurai
Tornado Samurai
Thanks for giving me information about this, everyone! I'll definitely go with making a demo. If I just went with a full game now, I wouldn't be able to get feedback or tips or advice from others on how to make it better. Thanks again for all your help. :D Have you guys made demos with your games or do you plan to, or are you releasing the full game?
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
I will release a DEMO just to get feedback/motivation boost :D (mostly the later). I already uploaded half of the DEMO, I'm about 75% the other half (hopefully I'll have it by next week). After that, I'll have to work full toward the full game (not easy T.T) before moving on to another project.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I have found that a demo is the most valuable. Test frequently, test often. Feedback can only help you out!
Tornado Samurai
Tornado Samurai
@Kyuukon: Half of the demo? Wow! It must be a very expansive demo for it to be divided in two. You seem to be hard at work on it as well. Best of luck on releasing it soon!

@Tai_MT: Thanks for your advice! :D I've chosen to make a demo first instead of the full game so I can branch from what others have given as advice and feedback and learn from there. Thanks for your help! :D
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
@Tornado Summoner: Not really :p Initially it was planned to be released as a whole but I just couldn't wait xD! (maybe a mistake on my part).

It's not that big of a project like many here but for me it's quite a lot of work regardless.

Can't wait to see your project thread soon :D
Tornado Samurai
Tornado Samurai
@Kyuukon: Oops! Sorry about the misinterpretation, XD. Also, It's perfectly fine to be eager to give fans and newcomers a experience of what you've created. If the fans enjoy the game and are eager for more content, it's reassuring to know that the creator feels the same way and is willing to give fans more content as soon as possible :D . It's also glad to know that even demos don't have to be exceptionally long nor do people on RMW care for length much, after all, it...
Tornado Samurai
Tornado Samurai
is a demo/alpha/beta. How long have you been working on this project?
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Man, if people don't care for length much, then I'm already in trouble on my demo...
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
Yeee. There is not better feeling that hearing from people they enjoyed your stuff :p Sadly, not many people are into visual novels/adventure games :( but I soo want to write this story!

Hmm... a year and a half? I've been taking breaks (especially at the beginning when the work ahead was immense and I was learning the engine). I've been working faster as of lately.
Tornado Samurai
Tornado Samurai
Wow, you've worked hard on this game, I can inquire! And I, was just introduced to the expansive world of RPG Maker last month! I'll need to learn and create alot to get to the part of the game dev process where you are!

Also, I absolutely LOVE visual novel games. (Ex: Ace Attorney, horror games etc.) Not many people like them. I enjoy them because I love to read stories and etc. Is that what your game is about?
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
You're a new-comer then :3 I can only say this: No matter how much difficult/frustrating/impossible it seems to be. Don't give up on what you want to do :D ! The rest will come with experience. Determination is what matters here!

You can check my project thread in my profile. I'm going for mystery/horror but if you wanna try it out I suggest you wait a few more days for the updated DEMO :D Sadly, I can't show much of the story yet so it might seem like it lac...
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
lacks plot. I just can't rush it xD (that's why I regret having released the DEMO but I so wanted to show my stuff to people :p ).
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
Yeee, and I'm not much into combat based RPGs. I prefer to sit back and enjoy a good story rather than mashing buttons/grinding :p

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Defeating a boss in Aletoirs Feast means a bunch of rewards, one of them is the "awesome loot crates" a gift that gives you a random piece of equipment ¡Totally Free! and with 4 types of crates rarity who knows? maybe you will get a legendary weapon in your first run
English is funny. You want to survive. You want to be a survivor. You definitely DON'T want to "be survived by" anyone tho, trust me.
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue: Dark and Bright starts now! Hit the link and join us in chat as Studio Blue plays this unique looking commercial RPG Maker game from Rinober!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kabo