RPG Maker Forums

KanaX
KanaX
You are never going to find an idea that doesn't contain samples of other people's work. We have 2000 years of culture preceding us. What you MUST do, is give your unique perspective on the subject. That, nobody can imitate.
Seacliff
Seacliff
look at some of the most previous AAA games out there. Even larger companies are struggling to do something original.

It doesn't matter if your game is cliche or not, as long as you do said cliche elements right.
Simon D. Aelsi
Simon D. Aelsi
Yes. That's usually how it goes. For every great idea there is, ten more have already done it. It's the way the idea is executed and carried out that counts! (Plus a whole bunch of other fluffy stuff)
SonicToTheLimit
SonicToTheLimit
Look at the simpsons.

The simpsons have done everything twice by now
KanaX
KanaX
The simpsons are not a good example at this point.
SonicToTheLimit
odinnightowl
odinnightowl
it is not generally about making something new but more of takng an older idea , bringing it back,and making it better
icerose05
icerose05
Oh no, not just samples, like entire works! For example, if you go look at Cruel Games: Red Ridding Hood . . . a game idea I came up with a year ago is exactly like that, only with Sleeping Beauty
trouble time
trouble time
trust me, there's noting new any more, just new interpretations of old things, and that's not a bad tihng
icerose05
icerose05
So if I have an idea that is literally exactly like someone elses, even though I didn't know it, should I still make it?
KanaX
KanaX
Depends on what you mean by exactly the same. If you take the fairytale of Little Red Riding Hood, give it your own twist, pass your own message then it's ok and totally acceptable. You can even present the same point but in a different way and it would be ok. But, if you remake "The Dark Side of Little Red Riding Hood" and talk about killing family members, abandoning children, child molestastion, cannibalism and human trafficking, without changing anything in the narrative or th...
icerose05
icerose05
Okay, so here's what I'm getting at . . .

The Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood is about a girl who's fiance gets kidnapped by a psychopath serial killer and puts her in the role of Red Riding Hood, and she has to chase him all around town to get her lover back. Mine is pretty much the exact same, only replace the girl with a guy, her fiance with his little sister, and Red Riding Hood with Sleeping Beauty.
KanaX
KanaX
And it's gonna progress EXACTLY the same way? The characters will be EXACTLY the same? The outcome would be EXACTLY the same? If not, then you are good! "The Cruel Games" isn't even the first person to do it. I could think of AT LEAST 3 movies with the same type of scenario.
icerose05
icerose05
In that case, nope! Characters act different, different ending, they go to different places . . . awesome!

Kanax, you've been my savior to all of my games so far! Haha! I'm gonna have to find a way to repay you somehow!
KanaX
KanaX
I accept cash payments and friendly chats, because I'm in a voluntary solitude and I need human interaction. Also I'm broke.
icerose05
icerose05
Haha, I'm broke too, but friendly chats I can definitely do. Btw, I checked out your "What Silver Shows" game and I'm super impressed! The maps are just amazing! I'm planning on downloading the demo and trying it out soon.
KanaX
KanaX
You'll come to find out that I "stole" from The Looking Glass
Marquise*
Marquise*
You need some free from me? I just recalled some memory of my childhood some days ago. What about a little girl who dream of becoming a knight to kidnap the charming prince?
KanaX
KanaX
That sound awfully like a movie Dreamworks would produce.
Marquise*
Marquise*
What do you have against Dreamwork?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D
I'm running a sale for Learn RPG Maker MV on Itch.io, can I compete with NSFW games earning goals?
Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punisama