Probably a few years.
    Apr 12, 2015
  2. EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    20 years max, smell/touch is up for debate hence 20 yrs
    Apr 12, 2015
  3. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I'm waiting for the holodeck. I won't need a computer anymore once that comes out.
    Apr 12, 2015
  4. KanaX
    KanaX
    Full immersion can be something subjective. There are people who get incredibly immersed and stimulated by games, that it doesn't really matter if they are playing on SNES or with the oculus. Others not so much. If I'm allowed to be super-idealistic, I'd think that the ultimate virtual reality co-relates with neuroscience. Though we are way too far away from that. If we achieve it however, it will be the end of humanity as we know it.
    Apr 12, 2015
  5. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    @Kanax

I still think Cellphones are the end of humanity as we know it... Those things are like a freakin' disease... So many addicts... Worse than the gamer addicts ever were.
    Apr 12, 2015
  6. cabfe
    cabfe
    So true, Tai_MT!

@OP: we know how to replicate experience for the 5 senses, but it's not just a matter of doing it. You have to accept it, like the uncanny valley, it sometimes feel weird. For now.
    Apr 12, 2015
  7. Tsukihime
    Tsukihime
    My idea of full immersion is this: can you feel like you're doing something with your physical body, in a virtual world? This would be extremely disruptive if such a thing comes out..
    Apr 12, 2015
  8. EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    Such a thing is actually possible, and has already been done with bionic hands. Just merge the techs with input from the VR system.
    Apr 12, 2015
  9. ShinGamix
    ShinGamix
    Already passed. We are all in one now!
    Apr 12, 2015
  10. KanaX
    KanaX
    To this day the best is can do is pseudo 3d and surround sound. Through electrical impulses to the brain, we learned that we can trigger the senses (like smell of strawberries, seeing a tree, etc) It will take a while to learn how to give the illusion of every sense for everything and how to program it. And I don't think that it would to the best thing to do it the first place.
    Apr 12, 2015
  11. Clydous
    Clydous
    Maybe not as far away as you might think:
    Apr 12, 2015
  12. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    Holodecs are about several hundred years away. =(
    Apr 12, 2015
  13. cabfe
    cabfe
    @Palladinthug: Not that far, I'd bet. When I was a kid and watched Star Trek, I thought impossible for a computer to understand and respond to oral commands...
    Apr 12, 2015
  14. Seriel
    Seriel
    You mean like in SAO?

If so, then my guess is 10-20 years.
    Apr 12, 2015
  15. The Prince of Sarcasm
    The Prince of Sarcasm
    Exactly like SAO. That's what I've been watchin that got me started thinking about it. I agree with Kanax, that it would totally change the entire world. If we cold create anything we wanted and have it bee real, nobody would stay in the real world anymore.
    Apr 12, 2015
  16. Madalin Vlad
    Madalin Vlad
    No, it most likely won't be available to the public years after it has been discovered. You want to know why? Because it has military use. You can trap war slaves with it and/or read their minds. the fake king from the AlFheim Online would be the most realistic result of this technology.
    Apr 13, 2015
  17. Seriel
    Seriel
    Yeah, even if it ever is released, I won't get involved in it for a while, because who knows what could happen? It'd only be a matter of time before someone creates the plot of SAO in real life.
    Apr 13, 2015
  18. The Prince of Sarcasm
    The Prince of Sarcasm
    Something that powerful would never go unnoticed or unused by the evil people of the world. Where there is power there is evil.
    Apr 13, 2015