Tsukihime
Tsukihime
Probably a few years.
EternalShadow
EternalShadow
20 years max, smell/touch is up for debate hence 20 yrs
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I'm waiting for the holodeck. I won't need a computer anymore once that comes out.
KanaX
KanaX
Full immersion can be something subjective. There are people who get incredibly immersed and stimulated by games, that it doesn't really matter if they are playing on SNES or with the oculus. Others not so much. If I'm allowed to be super-idealistic, I'd think that the ultimate virtual reality co-relates with neuroscience. Though we are way too far away from that. If we achieve it however, it will be the end of humanity as we know it.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@Kanax

I still think Cellphones are the end of humanity as we know it... Those things are like a freakin' disease... So many addicts... Worse than the gamer addicts ever were.
cabfe
cabfe
So true, Tai_MT!

@OP: we know how to replicate experience for the 5 senses, but it's not just a matter of doing it. You have to accept it, like the uncanny valley, it sometimes feel weird. For now.
Tsukihime
Tsukihime
My idea of full immersion is this: can you feel like you're doing something with your physical body, in a virtual world? This would be extremely disruptive if such a thing comes out..
EternalShadow
EternalShadow
Such a thing is actually possible, and has already been done with bionic hands. Just merge the techs with input from the VR system.
ShinGamix
ShinGamix
Already passed. We are all in one now!
KanaX
KanaX
To this day the best is can do is pseudo 3d and surround sound. Through electrical impulses to the brain, we learned that we can trigger the senses (like smell of strawberries, seeing a tree, etc) It will take a while to learn how to give the illusion of every sense for everything and how to program it. And I don't think that it would to the best thing to do it the first place.
ThatMaestroGuy
ThatMaestroGuy
Maybe not as far away as you might think:
Bonkers
Bonkers
Holodecs are about several hundred years away. =(
cabfe
cabfe
@Palladinthug: Not that far, I'd bet. When I was a kid and watched Star Trek, I thought impossible for a computer to understand and respond to oral commands...
Seriel
Seriel
You mean like in SAO?

If so, then my guess is 10-20 years.
The Prince of Sarcasm
The Prince of Sarcasm
Exactly like SAO. That's what I've been watchin that got me started thinking about it. I agree with Kanax, that it would totally change the entire world. If we cold create anything we wanted and have it bee real, nobody would stay in the real world anymore.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BRIEF HISTORY OF MY GAME SO FAR
June 2019 - My friend (let's call him G) says he wants to make a game
later- it's really bad and angsty
laterer - He gives up

EARLY 2020 - I suggest trying again, G says yes
slightly later - G gives up and gives me the whole idea
LATE 2020 - I finish the script's first draft. G doesn't like it

And that's where we stand!
To get validation for all your hard work feels amazing.

Studio Blue did a video on Collector and enjoyed it a lot. I expected them to rip it to shreds, but the gameplay went (mostly) well.

There are things I can improve, but they said my game "oozes Mike Pondsmith" (he's the creator of the Cyberpunk 2020 ttrpg, which precedes Cyberpunk 2077). I was shocked to hear such a compliment! :kaopride:
People3_3 and People3_4 added!

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weissblueter