Comments on Profile Post by R4B

1. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    Like a reference? I've never had an issue with that. It's highly helpful, actually. Especially for those who aren't great at describing music.
    May 31, 2015
  2. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah. I always send reference tracks when I request some music. It helps to give the musician a better idea what you're after than by description alone.
    May 31, 2015
  3. mlogan
    mlogan
    Yep, when I commissioned a couple of tracks, I sent several references, just so the composer would have an idea of the "feel" I wanted. Sometimes it's hard for us non-musical people to accurately describe in words what we want.
    May 31, 2015
  4. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I've sent mine a couple youtube links, they don't seem to mind.
    May 31, 2015
  5. ShinGamix
    ShinGamix
    If you are paying them, no. It would not be rude just don't be an ass about it.
    May 31, 2015
  6. Geoff Moore
    Geoff Moore
    Personally happy with any level of brief, examples, etc. I think most composers would expect it, and it can be very helpful! :)
    May 31, 2015
  7. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    Most people who approach me send references. It can be very helpful and welcomed. The only thing that can be a little daunting is if the person is completely married to the music and wants me to all but copy it. I would like to think the people who hire me are interested in my own style and idiosyncrasies as well. Which, thankfully, usually seems to be the case.
    May 31, 2015
  8. Jonnie91
    Jonnie91
    it's lovely to have examples, means if you're not good at describing music :)
    May 31, 2015
  9. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    I often ask for references as well as descriptions if possible, it's an easier way for those who aren't musically literate to communicate with their composer.
    Jun 1, 2015
  10. Saltwater Croc
    Saltwater Croc
    Reference music is often a good route to take. I pretty much echo what my musician brethren here say. :)
    Jun 1, 2015
  11. R4B
    R4B
    Thanks, everyone!
    Jun 1, 2015