Comments on Profile Post by Ultimacj

1. atasuke10
    atasuke10
    I know the feel, im a waster of switches too xd

"oh theres a self switch.. oh well better use a switch anyway"
    Jun 2, 2015
  2. Gothic Lolita
    Gothic Lolita
    I have a 200 switches planned right now, but will be more, for sure. :D (\s/)
    Jun 2, 2015
  3. optimum45
    optimum45
    The number of switches you have isn't really important. The number of them that could or should be variables instead could be. :D
    Jun 2, 2015
  4. Redeye
    Redeye
    Regardless you can have a max of 9999 switches I believe.
    Jun 2, 2015
  5. Gothic Lolita
    Gothic Lolita
    Some things are not doable with variables. ;)

But I allways try to use a variable instead of a switch. ;) (\s/)
    Jun 2, 2015
  6. Shaz
    Shaz
    138 is pretty good, I think. But if you want to trim it down, look for opportunities to use variables instead, where there is a sequence of actions that must happen in the correct order. Then you can use 1 variable instead of potentially many switches. I was able to reduce about 300 switches to a single variable just for the main plot of the game (step in 10's, not 1's, so it's easy to insert an extra step if you find you need to).
    Jun 2, 2015
  7. Ultimacj
    Ultimacj
    Switches are used for more like events i.e. the evil monster has been defeated = ON, now the town will play happy music etc. The variables I've used (not many) are mostly for puzzles with add or sub, when the Variable # is correct, the puzzle is solved.

(honestly didn't expect to be at 138 switches at this point my first project had like...9?) How does one event have 300 diff switches...what game is this?
    Jun 3, 2015
  8. Gothic Lolita
    Gothic Lolita
    Actually it's easy to reach a hundret.

Because if choices only appear, if certain things are done before, a switch can do that the easiest way. ;)

The certain thing is a character creation and path chose, which is impossible to do with a variable. ;) (\s/)
    Jun 3, 2015