Comments on Profile Post by Yuuta Kirishima

1. SaintInix
    SaintInix
    Turn those updates off in the 'Action Center' if you're using Windows 7. Windows 8, I believe they moved it into the Control Panel options. At least set it to 'Not install automatic updates' and make it notify you.
    Jul 10, 2015
  2. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    If you have Windows 7/8.x Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to adjust Windows Update's settings.
    Jul 11, 2015
  3. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    Also don't write 3 pages of anything without saving at least 30 times in between start and finish of that :p
    Jul 11, 2015
  4. Seriel
    Seriel
    I told it to never install unless I tell it to.

(Both Windows 8.1 and 7 PC's)
    Jul 11, 2015
  5. Sharm
    Sharm
    Ugh, that's the worst! I hate the auto updates. I've lots loads of work from that stupid thing, even after I changed the settings.
    Jul 11, 2015
  6. Seriel
    Seriel
    Jul 11, 2015
  7. Sharm
    Sharm
    Well, to me not updating at all isn't an option. I've had times when I installed an update and it gave me less than a second to try and click "do not restart".
    Jul 11, 2015
  8. Seriel
    Seriel
    I update manually whenever i'm not doing anything with my computer...
    Jul 11, 2015
  9. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    Did I mention that Windows 10 will auto-update only? At least on that you can scedule the restart and (if you have the Pro versions) you can defer them.
    Jul 11, 2015
  10. Seriel
    Seriel
    *cancels Windows 10 reservation*
    Jul 11, 2015
  11. SaintInix
    SaintInix
    Yeah, screw that. I'll stick with 7. I can turn the updates off. If you have a good Anti-Virus and know a bit about computers and networking. Those updates aren't needed anyway.

They are for folks who can't secure their own PCs.
    Jul 11, 2015
  12. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    Except that exploits can hit without knowing. Safety is not a luxury you know.
    Jul 11, 2015
  13. Sharm
    Sharm
    The worst virus I ever got was disguised as a windows update, it completely ignored firewalls and anti-virus too. I had to replace my hard drive before I could get my computer working again.
    Jul 11, 2015
  14. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    Microsoft ALWAYS releases updates via Windows Update and Microsoft Download Center. You may got it from a shady website or from a shady Trojan Horse. I'd recommend the Web of Trust browser plug in when browsing the web and install Microsoft EMET to harden the defenses of your PC.
    Jul 11, 2015
  15. Sharm
    Sharm
    That's the thing, it actually came through the windows update system.
    Jul 11, 2015
  16. Seriel
    Seriel
    Maybe a virus got in beforehand that redirected where you get updates from?
    Jul 11, 2015
  17. Sharm
    Sharm
    I don't remember. I just remember looking up all the information I could on it and even on sites where hard core computer programmer people hung out people were like "just reformat if you get this, it's impossible to get rid of".
    Jul 11, 2015
  18. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    Usually they recomend scanning your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before reformating the system. And I think you tricked by a trojan horse because unless the update was broken (it happens), you were tricked to download a trojan horse. If Microsoft pushed a virus to you, why it wasn't covered by the media?
    Jul 11, 2015
  19. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    *and others. I always install updates for precaution, and I never encountered malicious behaviour. It would also render their Maliciouss Software Removal Tool.
    Jul 11, 2015
  20. Sharm
    Sharm
    I never said Microsoft pushed I virus on me, I'm saying the malware hacked the update system to get on my computer. It would have never gotten onto my system if I hadn't told the update to install though.
    Jul 11, 2015
  21. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    That still confuses me...
    Jul 11, 2015
  22. Sharm
    Sharm
    *shrugs* It was years ago and the security flaw was fixed. I really was just bringing it up as an "this is an interesting thing that happened".
    Jul 11, 2015