Comments on Profile Post by Sixth

1. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Easily. It's just building landscape. Fairly simplistic and quite fun to do.
    Jul 23, 2015
  2. sapiboong
    sapiboong
    This, absolutely, mapping is the most boring stage of game making for me :|
    Jul 23, 2015
  3. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Playing with the database is the most boring aspect of game making for me. That's hours upon hours of tedium.
    Jul 23, 2015
  4. Atlas Rose
    Atlas Rose
    I break it up. I'll do some mapping here, some scripting here, some art there.
    Jul 23, 2015
  5. Sixth
    Sixth
    I'm making a game for IGMC, and so far, I was hyped, because it seemed that I could finish it in time, but every time I start mapping, I feel like something is sucking out my very soul, lol...

The fact that when I need another tileset combo I need to set up all those passage and whatever settings in the database just tops it off for me. >.>

I suck at mapping and it's probably because I don't enjoy it. I find it tedious and very limited.
    Jul 23, 2015
  6. Sixth
    Sixth
    @Atlas

I am done with scripting, I don't do art, and because I can't do eventing without maps, I need to make maps. Making even one hurts me inside. :D
    Jul 23, 2015
  7. Saltwater Croc
    Saltwater Croc
    Practice. Training.Not doing 9000x9000 maps. :D
    Jul 23, 2015
  8. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I do most of my mapping during slow hours at work. That way I'm also passing the time while waiting for students.
    Jul 23, 2015
  9. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    When I start I just can't stop :p
    Jul 23, 2015
  10. Hudell
    Hudell
    you should mix mapping with napping.
    Jul 23, 2015
  11. Gothic Lolita
    Gothic Lolita
    I got the same problem. :D

Writing textes, fine. Event sequences, fine.

Drawing stuff, fine.

It comes to mapping, I need to force myself. :D (\s/)
    Jul 23, 2015
  12. stupid enough to like FF13
    stupid enough to like FF13
    I've had a few places I've enjoyed mapping (most recently, the outside of the starting castle where an important scene happens), but for the most part...yeah, it's pretty dull.
    Jul 23, 2015
  13. Sixth
    Sixth
    9000x9000 maps, lol. My biggest one is a town which is 70x50, and I might reduce that a bit, because I can't seem to fill it with meaningful stuffs. :D

I liked the good old layer type of mapping way more than this VX Ace style. I can't put a chimney on my roof because the engine won't let me... I mean, what the fruit?! >.>
    Jul 23, 2015
  14. Diretooth
    Diretooth
    I typically do it by mapping, then doing the eventing.
    Jul 23, 2015
  15. UsainSloth
    UsainSloth
    I absolutely adore parallax mapping. I rather do maps all day than make a game.
    Jul 23, 2015
  16. Atlas Rose
    Atlas Rose
    If you can't fill a town, add a pasture. Just fill it with a few cows or sheep and close off with a fence. It's a great way to make a map seem larger while doing minimal mapping
    Jul 23, 2015
  17. Sixth
    Sixth
    Make maps for me and I will make a game for you! It's a win-win deal, right? :D
    Jul 23, 2015
  18. Sixth
    Sixth
    I have big fences with animals already, but thanks for the tip! :)
    Jul 23, 2015
  19. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Sixth, with your skills, couldn't you trade a script for a few maps with someone?
    Jul 23, 2015
  20. Shaz
    Shaz
    Mapping used to be fun. In XP.
    Jul 23, 2015
  21. UsainSloth
    UsainSloth
    I rather map for people who already have a playable demo that I can test out. So know if I want to work with them or not.
    Jul 23, 2015