Comments on Profile Post by Alexander Amnell

1. tearsofthenight
    tearsofthenight
    if you take good care of a pc, it can last for well over 8+ years. That means cleaning it out, maintain heat output, and keeping drives defraged.
    Sep 2, 2015
  2. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    I'm not sure that's so true today as it used to be. Maybe I just have bad luck but I've lost two in the past five years; one had a power supply malfunction that fried the whole system and the other a hard drive failure. Bought the cheapest computer I could find this time in frustration.
    Sep 2, 2015
  3. tearsofthenight
    tearsofthenight
    Well cheaper parts are not going to be as reliable as top brand parts, also did that power supply ever get zapped during a electric storm?
    Sep 2, 2015
  4. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    Yeah that's my point though, if I'm having to buy a new 1200 dollar pc every 2-3 years I might as well get by with a 200 dollar one instead. I take good care of my electronics, the pc prior to the two high ends that fried lasted me almost 10 years, I'm just not sure in today's throwaway world that computers aren't being built to die earlier than in the past. No electrical storms I'm aware of, I usually unplug everything during storms, I think it was the surge protector...
    Sep 2, 2015
  5. Dalph
    Dalph
    It's a matter of luck too, you can be meticulous and take care of it all the time but accidents can always happen (like a power supply malfunction and et voilĂ ...everything fried!). Also if the motherboard is gone in the process, chances are that basically most of the stuff (if not the whole thing) is gone with it, computers are more frail than we think.
    Sep 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    Luckily everything important had a backup, I just won't be playing many big end games in the near future.
    Sep 2, 2015
  7. odinnightowl
    odinnightowl
    so you trashed a full computer due to a malfunction in the harddrive? you realize hard drives are rather cheap to replace compared to getting a whole new computer? Also prebult computers are not the best thing to buy. If you can afford to drop 1200$ on a prebuilt why not build a good computer with parts you know work and know you want for 600-800?
    Sep 2, 2015
  8. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    It wasn't just a hardrive malfunction that was just the start, every time I'd try and repair it I'd find something else that didn't work and that just became to expensive to continue. and the 1200 one was a prebuilt and nearly everything in it got fried at once. Can't afford to spend 600 on a pc anymore let alone more so a cheap walmart computer has become my only option at the moment.
    Sep 2, 2015
  9. odinnightowl
    odinnightowl
    I know the feeling. atleast with the cheap walmart comp you have a start on building your own. I suggest looking into motherboard/cpu combos, a graphics card ,some ram and a power supply. once you have them decided save up funds to buy th eparts and upgrade you computer or have a local computer tech upgrade it for you . this way you already have the case,dvd drive,hard drive ,some ram and OS
    Sep 2, 2015