Comments on Profile Post by Alexander Amnell

1. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    That's because most of them just submit it to an online program like Turnitin, and don't check for the plagiarism themselves.
    Oct 13, 2015
  2. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    ^I still don't see how a student could unwittingly commit plagiarism in the first place, unless Turnitin or whatever is absurdly knitpicky on how it finds plagiarism, to the point of flagging idioms and simple phrases.
    Oct 13, 2015
  3. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    From what I can tell (as I have the option to use it in my class with my students, but refused), the program returns a % chance of it being a copy, and too many teachers are taking that % chance as a given and just filing the reports.
    Oct 13, 2015
  4. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    another example of technology accidentally making us dumber in it's quest to make everything more convenient I guess. Shame so many are short-sighted enough to make that a norm.
    Oct 13, 2015
  5. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    True. And some schools now don't even give students an option to appeal, they just slap them with the F or the expulsion, saying the comp says you cheated, so you are out.
    Oct 13, 2015
  6. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Personally, as a teacher myself, I give a warning and a reduced grade the first time I detect it (not the comp, but I detect it). Usually it never happens a 2nd time.
    Oct 13, 2015
  7. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    ^I bet your a good teacher bgillisp, thanks for taking your job seriously in an environment where it's hard to argue that that's the norm.
    Oct 13, 2015