nio kasgami
nio kasgami
no seriously the MV helpfile is trash and useless lol
EternalShadow
EternalShadow
This is how I feel with most docs... They never actually explain anything :|
Marsigne
Marsigne
I really can't imagine how the writers of the helpfile get to understand it and publish it like that. Well, we're all mages and know everything right?
Hudell
Hudell
Well, you have a point.
Hudell
Hudell
anyway, Point is a standard class that hold a point in the screen, it should have nothing more than two properties: X and Y.
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
lol hudell this not what I meant people who "assume" we know the stuff when they write doc are bad teacher or lazy you should at least provide more information.
Shaz
Shaz
I think you're missing the fact that the help file is for help with MV. It is not to teach you Javascript. If that were the case, it would have to be absolutely huge and cover as much as any javascript manual covers. There are plenty of places you can look to see what a Point class in JS is all about ;)
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
lol I guess so but they could at least make some more meaningfull description xD

liek "handle a point coordinate on the screen"
EternalShadow
EternalShadow
Unfortunately that's where a lot of docs fail badly: they assume background knowledge in everything. I can write basic JS, but I would never have even considered that a 'point' class could be a default thing in JS, already existing and explained elsewhere. There is no way to know that, if you have never seen it before...
Liquidize
Liquidize
I am currently in the middle of documenting all of the JS code for MV...maybe it will be helpful to you when its done :p , for most plugin devs though they won't need it as they will know what most of the classes and functions are for.
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
lol I know how to code since I have good base just I can't say I know the WHOLE knowledge of JS lol they have to manies xD

and thanks c:
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Whenever I've written what equates to a "Help File" on something, I always assume the person reading the document has no experience with what I'm talking about what-so-ever. Much less headache that way, and people can skip the parts they already know about.
Shaz
Shaz
Remember that MV is made for people with NO programming knowledge. They are not expected to write their own scripts, but to use plugins others have written. The documentation is targetted at beginner users. I think it's fair to assume if you are writing your own scripts, you are not a beginner user and are able to either

a: understand things due to your existing knowledge

b: figure it out by looking at the scripts

c: know how to search for further information.
Shaz
Shaz
So it is not surprising (to me) the JS portion of the manual is very light-on.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...
MY GAME IS NOW OFFICIALLY RELEASED!!
*FurAffinity is down*
*Sets house on fire*
This is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poppiota