Comments on Profile Post by Makio-Kuta

1. Sharm
    Sharm
    If you're doing things like animations, sprites, or tiles, it's pretty much essential.  It's too easy to make something that'd be really cool in a homebrew engine that just cannot function in RM and would have to be entirely redrawn to fit resource standards.
    Jan 28, 2016
  2. Makio-Kuta
    Makio-Kuta
    Oh yeah. Animations. You'd better really know how to format those for the player if you get commissioned to do those.

Sprites and tiles as well, but this musing mostly stemmed from the last few people who joined looking to advertise styles better suited for stuff like portraits and such not. If someone tried to offer tile sets but didnt know how an autotile should be formatted, that could be a whole world of trouble.

I don't think people realize how often people don't know what they need file wise and expect the artist does.
    Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Clydous
    Clydous
    And we musicians need to make everything in .ogg!! But then that's just good practice, in general. MP3s are just too large! DX
    Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Sharm
    Sharm

I don't think people realize how often people don't know what they need file wise and expect the artist does.

So true!  I've found it to be worse outside the RM community, they always expect you to know what they want when they don't even know themselves.
    Jan 28, 2016
  5. Shanenopolis
    Shanenopolis
    I can't even tell you how many times I've got a request for an original tileset from someone who has no idea what they want or need from a tileset. A tileset can range from $200 to $2000, depending on a myriad of factors, yet my follow-up questions about things like corner versatility, multiple levels, and object size/quantity, are met with bewilderment.

I don't normally work with RM users, but with such a standardized toolset, you'd think they would bring an existing tileset/character template to the artist so they know exactly what needs doing.
    Jan 28, 2016
  6. Makio-Kuta
    Makio-Kuta
    I can't speak much for outside of RM, as I've only done one commission for a nonRM game, but it's really easy to believe that.

the best is when you ask a question and are met with 'do what you think is best' your title screen resolution doesn't work that way...
    Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Sharm
    Sharm
    LOL, yes.  Very true.  I would often have to walk a client through the process of figuring out what they wanted.

@Shanenopolis  At least with RM you've got the help file full of that stuff, so even if the client doesn't know, you don't have to sit there and guess.
    Jan 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.