Comments on Profile Post by Ashouse

1. Chocobo
    Chocobo
    Hey :)

Mh, let's say so-so. I am not actively working on fixing the issue, since I may have found a culprit - but I didn't test it thoroughly and it is just an assumption. But let me first point out something else: If you are not only talking about the bug but also about the RMMV caching, there may be some hope :) The RMMV caching works in a way that every image used is stored in memory and never release it. So, if you have 20 big parallax maps and every parallax consumes 150 MB in memory, it would mean: If you walk over these 20 maps, your RAM usage would be increased by 3 GB and will never be decreased. If there was no bug, one could write a small plugin that allows only to store the last used parallax in memory. This would mean that no matter how many maps you walk across, the consumption would always be the normal game consumption + 150 MB which should be no problem. The disadvantage is that the player has to wait a little time when entering a map whose parallax is not in cache (<= few seconds, depending user's hardware).

But since there is a nasty bug, the memory usage would be rather random. So maybe normal consumption + 300 MB. Or 377. Or 600. Or 1.2 GB. But it should always be less than abovementioned 3 GB.

I took a dive into the bug and saw the following result: If I use a parallax that is smaller or equal to 4096x4096 in resolution, everything worked as expected. But when the parallax was bigger, loading an image that would consume 150 MB randomly eats up 450 MB or so; but destroying it in memory only takes away the 150 MB or so. I seem to have tracked down the bug to come from the Graphics library used by RMMV (Pixi.js, version 2) but I could not really verify it yet (I would need to check other systems, too). Thus, I wanted to wait until the new Pixi version 3 is implemented into the RMMV before digging deeper - maybe the new version even solves the issue :)
    Mar 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Chocobo
    Chocobo
    (I tend to be rather verbose, don't I? :D)
    Mar 13, 2016
  3. Ashouse
    Ashouse
    For future ref, don't worry about that, I like to read! :)  Especially people I percieve as more intelligent than I.
    Mar 16, 2016
  4. Chocobo
    Chocobo
    Haha, that's nice of you :) But, for future ref, I think it's more about one's background ... and diligence, maybe (I study computer science). But I very well remember the moment some couple of years ago when I was amazed by the RPG maker's scripting community and thought that creating RMXP scripts was some kind of rocket science :D I believe, when it comes to skills, in the majority of cases there is a certain degree of talent involved, but diligence and discipline weighs more and can make one a pro. So maybe your friend naturally runs faster than you, but if you train for a certain time (while he does not), you will be faster someday. Or if you would spend one/two hours a day on playing the piano, for 10 years, you could become a great pianist :)
    Mar 16, 2016
  5. Ashouse
    Ashouse
    These things are true, but coding would leave so little time for drawing. Lol... On a serious note, i do take the time to break open .js files and try to reason it out. I can sometimes see "oh, that is doing this!" 

If you don't play Battle for Wesnoth, you should. I can code that! But then it is very high level...
    Mar 17, 2016
  6. Ashouse
    Ashouse
    On second though... Dont play Battle for Wesnoth... Just stay here... And keep coding.
    Mar 17, 2016
  7. Chocobo
    Chocobo
    Haha, yeah, maybe that's the best decision for both of us :D
    Mar 17, 2016
  8. Ashouse
    Ashouse
    Pixi 3 is official
    Mar 24, 2016