Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Yup, not everyone has a gaming pc. So if I wanna play the heavy end games, I play on our consoles at home :)

But yeah, I wish there were more good deals for it :/
    Apr 15, 2016
  2. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    I've stopped playing consoles except PS Vita a long time ago. I hadn't even touched my xbox 360 and old wii in ages. I was thinking about buying a PS4 but then I realize that I barely play any games on TV anymore so I didn't buy. And I am never touching an xbox again so I definitely have no interests in xbox this and that. :/ (Just part of a love-hate relationship with Microsoft.) 

Even though prices are dropping in consoles, I think I too barely seen anyone buying consoles anymore. (New and near-future computers are becoming more beast than consoles anyways.) Consoles I think will be a thing of the past soon.
    Apr 15, 2016
  3. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    And a note to my last post: Those are just my bias views against consoles. I hadn't paid any attention to console news so I don't really know how "powerful" are consoles. But as far as I've heard from friends and the media, they're not as great as newer PCs (that are becoming increasingly more affordable).
    Apr 15, 2016
  4. Nikoback
    Nikoback
    I mostly play on PC but if you asked me  a few years ago it would had been Xbox all the way!

I am thinking of picking up a PS4 for FFXV tho
    Apr 15, 2016
  5. Dalph
    Dalph
    @slimmm:

Makes sense slimmmy, although the money you will save up by buying a console you will probably end up spending it anyway (slowly) to get the games for the console itself, since like I said there are no good deals for them sadly.

@Mashiro:

I had PSX, PS2, PS3, Xbox360 then stopped using everything when I got my first decent pc, the difference was already too big even back then. I agree that they will die one day, it's inevitable, pcs are getting too powerful.

And yes recent consoles are nowhere near as good as modern gaming pcs, you can check many comparison videos on youtube if you are curious.

@Nikoback:

I heard FFXV will be released for PC too, eheheh.
    Apr 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Dalph
    Dalph
    Also from what I saw, Valve is currently trying to challenge both the Xbox One and the PS4 with their Steam Machines, which are basically an effective mix between computers and consoles. They are better (I think) than both the Xbox and the PS (assuming that you buy the most powerful model) but the price is still too dayum high, especially for the Alienware model, shown below.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/store/promo/hardware/SteamMachine_CorouselImg_Alienware.png
    Apr 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. Sailerius
    Sailerius
    Seeing as how the PS4 and the XB1 are the fastest-selling consoles in history, yeah, I think people still buy consoles. I mean, nobody buys PCs anymore but games aren't going anywhere.
    Apr 15, 2016
  8. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Dalph™ - it currently isn't planned for FF15 to be on PC (Square says they are considering it).

Some reasons why people get consoles:

[*]It is cheaper.  A $350 console is cheaper then a $1000 PC and those PCs are not even the top of the line. Yes, you could build a similar priced PC, but PCs consume more resources by default thus it will have worse performance than a console (they do more background stuff due to being more then just gaming machines) and will end up falling into the next problem.

[*]To keep up with PC gaming, you have to buy and install parts more frequently (and the weaker your PC is currently the more it will take to keep up).  If a person buys a console, they do not have to worry about games not working or under-performing due to outdated hardware.

[*]Computers require more work and cause more frustration.  You have to keep up with drivers for Graphics cards, sound cards, etc and failing to do so might cause games to not work well or at all.  Other programs could also cause issues with games and they might not even seem like they should.  And even if you do everything right, the game could still have issues due to the brand and/or type of hardware you used not being optimal for the game (Sorry, optimized for Nividia over AMD).  This doesn't take into account how difficult it can be to troubleshoot what exactly is wrong and that developers cannot really test all the hardware out there when developing the game, so tons of people get bugs.  There is a reason that there is always a bunch of people saying that there games doesn't work.

[*]As drivers get better, old graphic cards end up losing performance and/or cause issues with games (that they might of run perfectly fine before).  And if you do not use the new drivers you might get issues with new games. This is more of a Nividia only issue at the moment.

For getting a console with a PC, there isn't that much of a reason currently (although I think there never was that much of a loss for only owning one system).  Most people just pick one system to play there games on and that is why exclusives are getting less and less common.

Especially this generation where Sony is already guaranteed to get most of the sales unless they make a big screw-up, no matter what exclusives Microsoft makes.  And PC targets a different audience then console gamers really.  PC targets the really hardcore that are willing to put a lot of money down for the best graphics or people who would like to play a casual game every once in awhile during a break.  Consoles makers target people who just want to play the latest games without all of hassle and do not care for more particles or the most graphically advanced game.

(yes there are exceptions.  Just like with everything else (ex: just because 1 =1 and 1 = 0.99999999... does not mean Math is illogical).
    Apr 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  9. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Dalph™ - Steam machines are a weird Console and PC hybrid that has the cons of both and less benefits then either choice (and terrible marketing doesn't help it).
    Apr 15, 2016
  10. taarna23
    taarna23
    I just don't see the point in forking over $400 or so for something I'll play SOME games on. I don't take much time for games these days anyway, which as a gamer, makes me kind of sad. Older consoles I can just emulate and do so because really, I can make the games look better than they originally did. With the right PC hardware I can even connect original game hardware to my PC. Yes, it's technically illegal to emulate games I own. No, I don't much care.
    Apr 15, 2016
  11. Dalph
    Dalph
    @AwesomeCool:

It's not even as cheaper as you think. All depends by how good your pc is, but you don't need to spend 1000$ or 3000$ to get a decent pc you know? Believe it or not but a $400-500 computer can be around the same or already better than an Xbox One and a PS4. Yeah with that amount I can buy an i5 with a GTX 960, it's a pc that can play decently basically most if not all the stuff on Steam (plus the games will look better and be faster\more stable than consoles). You also have to take in consideration that who buys a console is stuck with the parts of it forever (except for the hdd), you can't change them nor upgrade the console itself, consoles are limited and can't take advantage of new technology like pcs. Games for consoles have compressed graphics and reduced effects. Also the fact that consoles aren't upgradeable makes them basically obsolete the moment they get released, this is why PC gaming will always be ahead in terms of graphics as processing power of pcs keep increasing while consoles remain the same (at least untill a new model comes out).

Also you don't need to change parts frequently, I had my previous pc for 6 years and I was able to play most of the games on Steam, if u get a decent pc it will hold its own pretty well even for almost a decade (that is even more than a console life since a new console pops out every 7y or so).

To not count the loading times, my i7 loads games faster than my friend's PS4, the difference is basically huge.

I do agree about the drivers and the audience.
    Apr 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  12. Dalph
    Dalph
    I won't comment much on the Steam machines but I saw one of that things playing The Witcher 3 at a perfect frame rate while the graphics looked basically like the one on a high end pc, something that an Xbox One and a PS4 certainly can't do.
    Apr 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. taarna23
    taarna23
    Yeah, I have a snail-ish little i3 (it was all I could afford at the time and it still does what I need so I'm being lazy about upgrading) and just stuck a beefy video card (Radeon R9 290) that I got off a coworker for a reasonable price and now I have basically nothing to complain about in gaming, heh.
    Apr 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  14. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    Is this today's Daily Dalph Discussion?  Yes gaming pcs are objectively better in a lot of ways, they are also pretty pricey and not everyone can afford them.  That being said, low-spec games are getting more and more impressive, so even pcs built for office purposes can still have decent gaming experiences, you've just gotta be willing to look for them.  Whilst I do like my high fidelity games, I do still play plenty of low/medium spec games on my pc, graphical fidelity just isn't that important at the end of the day, it's all about the experience.  I hope consoles start having good exclusives again and don't die out, the competition is good for everyone.
    Apr 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. Balako
    Balako
    o please, i still use my PS1 to play digimon world and crash bandicoot
    Apr 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    I'd like titles like disgaea five in pc port first
    Apr 16, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. Susan
    Susan
    I played loads of games like Skyrim and Divinity 2 on a $300 laptop on average settings and never had any problems. Since I can use my computer for other stuff, it's a much better deal, in my opinion. Everytime I feel like buying a console, I resist the impulse and eventually managed to save enough to get a pretty good pc. :D
    Apr 17, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. Hollow 1977
    Hollow 1977
    Still have the old ones but may get a PS4 for the new FF& game coming out, but otherwise have the vita, 3DS, PS3, PS2, Gamecube. Don't need anymore. Really good PCs for like PS4 games get incredibly pricey and not all games are released to them. If I get a console it is good for like 3 years before being outdated. How long will your PC be good for?
    Apr 17, 2016
  19. taarna23
    taarna23
    Depends entirely on your definition of outdated. The difference between development for consoles and development for PCs is huge. Console has one set hardware to program against. PC games are completely different. In 3 years games for PC will likely be playable on a PC that is brand new now. Playable at max settings? Probably not, because the game was created against a different set of hardware standards.
    Apr 17, 2016
    2 people like this.