RPG Maker Forums

darkelite
darkelite
This is awesome! Keep up the great work! =)
Sharm
Sharm
Care to translate for the programming illiterate?
darkelite
darkelite
I see that it's now preloading animations, etc.

It will most likely help on mobile. Also, I've shrunk some of the .PNGs for animations using tinypng. I'm confident that combined with your plugin there is hope for mobile ports. :p
Galenmereth
Galenmereth
Thanks darkelite. Finally getting back in the swing of things. Looking forward to see if I can get these preloading woes fixed once and for all~ Also good news; my new workplace does mobile development so it's way easier for me now to test this on every imaginable device ;)

@Sharm I'm working on a major rewrite of my Preload Manager plugin for MV to fix the outstanding issues with the current one, as well as adding new features people (including myself!) want badly. Things like being able to preload folders on startup, control the amount of memory to use for caching until the oldest least used stuff gets freed from memory, and overall solving problems like audio streams starting too late and being unsync with events.
Sharm
Sharm
Oh!  I've heard a lot of complaints about how MV handles preloading, this sounds wonderful!
Galenmereth
Galenmereth
Yeahp. Basically it preloads all relevant assets on a map as you enter it and keeps it in memory, so that when a face should appear or a sound play, it ought to be as instant as possible. I will have to overwrite some of MV's core things in the process to make it the way I want it, but it should be worth it.

Also I'm making this extensible and plan for some addons, like displaying the loading progress during preloads and adding randomized pools of images to display to the user while the maps load. So people can put game hints or just nice pictures there while things load, making it feel more professional. 
Sharm
Sharm
I always love it when a programmer makes it easier to do customized graphical flourishes.  Those little touches always add up and can do a lot to help with the cohesiveness and quality of the whole presentation.
darkelite
darkelite
Really!? This is awesome! Do you suggest optimizing the png files? Like the method I mentioned above using tinypng. I've done it for battlebacks and animations and didn't see any drop in quality, but only that my files are now 60 to 80% smaller.
Galenmereth
Galenmereth
Yeah I think that can definitely be worth it @darkelite. PNG's are often saved in the "wrong way" with a lot of image software, but since they're basically color indexed files, a lot of space can be saved if that index is built up properly for repeating pixels with the same color values, which is what tinypng does.
darkelite
darkelite
I will definitely add some hints and customized images in my loading screen once the add on is available. I'm your guinea pig if you need some tests done.
Galenmereth
Galenmereth
@Sharm I haven't forgotten about the bitmap fonts script btw. I want to use it for The Vendor in MV so I'm likely going to port it and finish it for that.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Not going to lie, now that business is picking up again after the whole pandemic lockdown.... these 50+ hour work weeks are really slowing down game dev work. It's a good thing I have basically no life, else I'd never have time to do this. :kaopride:
Has anyone else thought of using money for more than just buying things in a game? It could serve as a wealth stat for various mechanics and skill checks.
Eli_CustomParameterCurve.js - Work in progress!
Basic base tiling for today. Too cold..?
If your life is lagging is because someone made this awfull parallel process... (This is why the wait command has a 999 limit...)

if : MZAnnounced is ON
* Wait : 88128000 frames
* Control Switches : #0003 ReleaseMZ = ON

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lightningburrito