Comments on Profile Post by GreyStone84

1. Ejronin
    Ejronin
    Do you think that stepping back and tackling one aspect in the details might make it less aggrevating? 

The current project I'm working on has me zooming in and out of the detail pockets - like I'm filling each compartment of the game at a time. It isn't exactly the best work ethic or flow, but it fits my mentality and where I'm comfortable. On the other hand, my project is rather ambitious and I really need a team - wont do it, I can't offer much in skill aside from writing, and I need to learn it on my own to boot. 

Anyway, I find looking outside for resources is helpful. Envato has a lot of resources that can be used by way of music and static images as do people on Deviant Art. 
    May 1, 2016
  2. GreyStone84
    GreyStone84
    @Ejronin Well, this is my first project with RPG Maker, so I still don't have a good flow of how to do things. At first I was like "I'm just gonna make a stupid little game and use all these default graphics", that way I at least made something, whether it was good or not and I would be getting used to the system. But one thing lead to another (as it always does! lol) and my project has gotten more intricate. I scavenged some resources from here and there, then I started looking at scripts. And that took me a while too because I found a bunch I liked, then I had to make sure they all fit together (there's actually a couple more I'd love to add, but am holding back).

So basically right now, I'll make one map, fill it all in, add characters, add quests and story progression dialogue, then add dungeons and creatures, etc. Then tweak this and that and this again and that again until I think it's ready for play-testing. Then sometimes I go: "I'd like this resource" and I'd go looking, then find a few things and maybe have to go back and change somethings I already thought were done. So I'm kind of filling in details and adding more resources as I go along, which I'm not sure is the best work ethic either, but considering it's my first project, I don't really mind it so much.

My first biggest part of this game was the icon set. I really wanted more weapons and armour and it took me a while to find some free resources, edit a couple of things, add it all into my icon set, then I had to go into the editor and create all these new items. But everything is a learning experience and now I'm pretty good with basic fixes and basic edits. Same with the scripts. I had to fit them together and had to figure out how to rearrange some of the coding so they would work properly together. I only had to ask for help a couple times for the scripts.

I think it would be great to know exactly what I want, find/make/buy all the appropriate resources and just go to town on making the game. I'm sure it would move along much faster and would be much less aggravating. But that just isn't how it happened for me, at least this time.
    May 1, 2016
  3. Ejronin
    Ejronin
    This is my first one in RMMV and I attempted on IN RMVXA, but it went nowhere. Actually, I'm trying the same idea again in RMMV. It sounds like you're experiencing what I did the first time around: option catatonia. 

In college, a professor of mine relayed a bit of sage wisdom assuredly passed by giants of old - you're done when there's nothing to take away, not when there's to add. 

It's nice to get all these resources and plug-ins that you CAN do this or that with, but really...are you going to. 

The first thing I would do - is write your story and character bios down. Having them in your head is a good start, but it's easy to misrember or revert your idea to one you forgot you had that didnt work. I've done this many times. 

If you're past that stage and actually in to the playtesting, hit each map in the order players will go and play that map, debugging and making notes about what you did and what was wrong so that if you have a dependency, you cant track it separate from in-game. I hope that can help you some. 

There is a book that may be of much help in development titled "The Art of Game Development" and it's been an invaluable resource to me and even those in AAA title development. It's big, but not a hard read. 
    May 1, 2016
  4. GreyStone84
    GreyStone84
    Oh, I'm doing everything you mentioned, lol. I've been writing since forever, so I'm already familiar with writing down character bios, ideas, etc. and they are already written down for my game. And I always playtest, find faults, readjust and playtest again before my play testers see it. I will repeat that until I think nothing is wrong and send it off to them (then of course they find some stupid things I missed, lol).

And I understand your point about the resources, but seeing as this is my first, I was looking to just grab up a bunch of resources when I found them and then sort through them. I didn't mean I was just adding them all to my game, simply to my files in case I COULD use them in the future. Hence, listening to all this music right now. I am eager to get back to making the game, but at the same time I know sorting through these resources will be good for me.
    May 1, 2016
  5. Ejronin
    Ejronin
    Ah, I misunderstood then - apologies. 

I''m guilty of grabbing a lot of things and dipping out and I get to a point where I have a flood of ideas and then they magically disappear. It's kind of annoying. I still do it... and it gives me trouble when I do. You'd think I'd have learned by now, but no... I'm sort of 'special' sometimes. 

What I have done is made a separate folder on my second drive called Resources. Then a folder for each application for which I have them. RMMV, Lightroom, Photoshop, Aseprite, etc.... and then aother forlder for the type - Plugin (which is broken into scripter, yanfly, VE, etc), Sptire, pallet, preset, loop, etc... so it's really well organized...and I dont lose track. If I dislike something or just not 'feelin it' I delete and it sits in the trash for a week. If after a week I dont go looking for it, I permanently delete it. 

Per your team of testers, I would't call it something stupid you missed - their job is to find just that so iff they find something, they're working, which is good :)  You cant catch all the faults, which is why you have play testers... win / win. 
    May 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. GreyStone84
    GreyStone84
    Lol, so true about the play testers! And I think we are all 'special' sometimes in our own ways, lol. :D
    May 1, 2016
  7. GreyStone84
    GreyStone84
    On another note, IF you ever do feel like you want someone to help you work on a project, I'm more than willing. Of course I don't have MV right now, so maybe sometime down the road.
    May 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ejronin
    Ejronin
    Its how we learn. Don't beat yourself up over it too much, man. You'll get there exactly when you're supposed to get there. 
    May 1, 2016
  9. Ejronin
    Ejronin
    LIkewise, I dont have VX Ace, but my day job is Auditor - in a former life I was Military Intel. I like deep data so databasing and assisting with mechanics is something I'm good at - more of someone to bounce an idea off of and develop strategies for how you need something to work. 
    May 1, 2016
    2 people like this.