RPG Maker Forums

AwesomeCool
AwesomeCool
@taarna23 - now you know why I prefer readable over efficiency. >.>

(doesn't matter how fast and/or well it works if nobody can ever read it to add new stuff when needed)

Most schools do not care all that much about readability sadly and people just get in the habit of not caring if they can read what they wrote in a week or two (which leads to frustration for everyone).
taarna23
taarna23
That's just the thing - readability is what we go for here, and any sacrifices in this particular code was not for readability. 90% sure that in VB, strongly typed (ie. Dim myName As String) is both more readable and faster. Not a dang thing in this while mess is strongly typed. If/else statements are largely not indented. There are no comments anywhere to make up for any of this. I'm going to cry into my lunch now. T_T (PS: the guy that wrote it has like 5 years on me at this company. How was this stuff not learned?)
Zeriab
Zeriab
Code doesn't age in the normal sense. It's perfectly possible for code to exist that was written by least experience programmers back in the day. Also, sometimes more experienced coders messes up, or just have a plain bad day.

Don't worry too much about it. Learn from it, and consider trying your hand at some refactoring :D
taarna23
taarna23
This stuff was written last week, and there's no project-related time for refactoring. Otherwise I would; this stuff makes me slightly nuts and is insane to understand.
Zeriab
Zeriab
Sometimes you just have to work with what you got. There do exist a category of programmers who doesn't really care about becoming better at their job. It's just a job for them, something to earn a living for, not much more than that.

The most pitiful part is that they could leave that category if they really wanted.
taarna23
taarna23
I agree! This guy falls in the "eh, close enough" category for a lot of things he does, it seems. I do want to be a better programmer, and it has blown my mind so far how many bad habits we were taught in school. I suppose that's perspective, though. We were taught efficiency > readability.
beenbaba
beenbaba
Why would you not indent if/else statements!? Madness I tell you, madness...
AwesomeCool
AwesomeCool
@beenbaba - Job Security. :p

If nobody can read it but you, who could replace you?  :rwink:

@Zeriab - Those are also the ones that complain about others getting the raises that they "deserve".

That new guy who takes all the overtime, goes the extra mile, is always positive and ultimately helps the company do better? He gets a raise for the leadership are a bunch bigots obviously and are oppressing us, the Facebookers, torrenters and texters of the work place.

For effort shouldn't matter, only seniority.   /s
taarna23
taarna23
Ehh, I wouldn't say my workplace is like that. Just this one guy that makes those of us aiming to keep our code clean facepalm.
beenbaba
beenbaba
@AwesomeCool You're right, tomorrow I'm gonna go back through and unindent (???) all my if/else statements and remove all of those pesky comments I just keep leaving all over the place :D
taarna23
taarna23
@beenbaba Don't forget to also go on vacation for a week immediately after messing up code that require changes, so someone else has to work with it. That'll definitely make them realize how valuable you are!
beenbaba
beenbaba
@taarna23Dammit you're right! I've just come back from holiday but I'll be sure to remember this before my next one. May just take it one step further and just randomly start deleting blocks of code and just leaving a 'Code waz ere' comment in it's place.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guertena_1