Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    All of them. The only one I liked was History. Only because I knew everything the teacher said and he would let me hang out in the library. Which is where I slept and played my gameboy for an hour and a half.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Dalph
    Dalph
    Suddenly I'm curious about something.

What do they teach you guys in schools as a foreign language (in US or UK or whatever) ?

Here in Italy it's mostly English and French we can choose from.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Chemistry...  It was difficult to grasp and the teacher had issues explaining it.  To this day, I still have no idea how chemistry actually works or even if it's got practical applications in the real world.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. mlogan
    mlogan
    Probably history for me. I love learning about history but either by reading something I'm interested in or visiting historical places. Most history classes boil down to sitting and listening to someone for hours and my ADD makes those sorts of classes really, really difficult for me.

Favorite classes were just about anything else. :p I do love math though, so that's always high on my list.

As for foreign languages, standard here in the US is being able to chose between Spanish, French and German, at least when I was in high school many years ago. Not sure how it is today.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Dalph™ - None here.  We can pick a language if we want, but it isn't required (use to be a few years before I got to High School) and sadly the languages didn't interest me (French, German and Spanish).  I would of taken a Japanese or Chinese language course if they had that.

Most hated subject: English (or "English") - the course had so little to do with English itself and we only read books on Poe (a couple), Shakespear (we read the terribly useless comedy Romeo and Juliet, but got to read one of his better works), 1984 (the only book that invoked actual thought in my entire 12 years of english) and the rest where a bunch of white men are bad books (not joking, had a bunch on racism, a bunch on the horrors American Woman face, had one that linked male nature to that of a starving wolf, had one that was about how it is okay for men to suffer for they deserve it and even had one that linked mental disability to masculinity).

Most Loved subject: History (I would say Math, but I was to far ahead to have the school teach me anything with the current ceiling they had) - The course that was about analyzing history to see what we can learn from it and linking it to modern day issues to see how we can use the knowledge to help us (it helped that my teacher was really good).

@Uzuki - They banned video games from my district.  Something about it being more entertaining then learning about how to learn the equivalent of nailing nails into random boards.  Although, graphing Calculators fixed this. :)
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    We had two options at our school (small school, only about 120 students from K-12).  You could take Spanish 1 and Spanish 2... Or you could do a semi-online course for German... but you had to schedule your other classes around it, which made it nearly impossible to take because classes were held once a day, at a single time, and you were screwed if you missed them.
    May 23, 2016
  7. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
       History and Science were my strong suite, the higher maths (Calculus, Trigonometry, etc) were the bane of my existence as a student. As long as I could grasp an everyday real world application to it and how it could be useful to me I usually did fairly well in maths, but in college especially if there were real world applications to much of what I was learning then the teachers didn't bother to share it with the rest of us and my gpa dipped because of that.

The only language that the school system I went to offered was Spanish, and they did a crap job at teaching it(the school system down here is horrible, ranked 46th in the nation last I checked) but I studied ASL, Japanese and French on my own time because I've always had a fascination with languages. Can't speak a lick of Spanish now, yet I can hold my own with the others if I have to.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. mlogan
    mlogan
    (And Tai, I'd venture to guess chemistry effects you every single day, whether you realize it or not.)
    May 23, 2016
  9. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I'm sure it does.  But, I have no idea how, 'cause the teacher didn't tell us a whole lot about it.  Most of what we learned was like... how combining two different elements changes them... and I still don't even understand how that works.

Chemistry was not taught well at my school.  Ha ha.
    May 23, 2016
  10. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Tai_MT - Chemistry is used in making materials like plastic and is very important for many, many things (not an expert in chemistry, but it is used all over the place and not just for medical stuff).
    May 23, 2016
  11. mlogan
    mlogan
    I get that Tai, I really do, it's just the way you stated it. :)
    May 23, 2016
  12. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Alexander Amnell - how good are you at Japanese?

Only took one class in college and want to know how to git gud without getting a ton of debt.
    May 23, 2016
  13. ShinNessTen
    ShinNessTen
    Most Hated:

1. Math

2. Chemistry

3. Geography

Favorite ones:

1. Sport

2. English 

3. Art

I could go on and on about why i hate Math so much, but i think i'll let it go... because Math just absolutely ruins me!

And am i really the only one in the world who liked doing Sport in School?
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    Math or Bilogy was my most hated subjects I guess. Math because I'm terrible at it, and biology because we always did some weird crap at those lessons (I do prefer exploring nature now, but back then I really hated it). So, hating math and develpoing a game in RPG maker/ dreaming of becoming a game developer, wish me luck guys  :headshake:

In Sweden we can choose between German and French in High school (English is mandatory) and one other language at the gymnasium - the ones to pick from there is German, French, Spanish and Italian (I studied Spanish :p). If you choose a specific section of study you will learn 2 of these and latin as an extension.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. Dark_Metamorphosis
    May 23, 2016
  16. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I nearly failed Physics, but I loved that class o_O It only got confusing when we got into variables like "rotation of the earth" being a factor.

I only ever failed once class in school...  "Advanced Math" which was more about using imaginary and useless math as a means of just thinking about it... and not really caring about whether it was accurate or you even came up with the right answer.

I have issues in learning when "there is no right answer, learning the process is more important".  If you can't use it to solve problems, what good is it?

Just like that silly "imaginary number" nonsense they teach you in Advanced Algebra.  "square root of negative 1".  If you're using an imaginary number (a number that CANNOT ever exist) to solve a problem... is the answer to that problem then ALSO imaginary and also therefore irrelevant?

Yeah, I asked my teacher that question.  She had no answer.  This is why I failed Advanced Math.  But I LOVED Geometry and Trig.  Man those were fun and useful!
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    I'm a dork. I loved school. Math was probably my weakest subject but I didn't hate it. My favorites were any of the sciences. Chemistry, biology, geology, astronomy. I collected those science credits like Pokemon.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. Sharm
    Sharm
    Most hated:

Phys Ed (I have poor health, but didn't have a diagnosis back then so it literally made me ill every day)

Math (I hate all things homework/paperwork which is all math classes are)

History (would have liked it if it was learning stories about the past, not memorizing numbers and repeating the same stuff over and over)

English (I've always known the english language better than most, and I don't like being forced to read bad books because they're "important".  Complete waste of time.)

Favorite:

Art

Creative Writing

Concert Choir

Dance (even with my health problems, dance was fun!  I miss it very much)
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. mlogan
    mlogan
    So far I'm the only dork that could sit down with a page of math equations and be happily occupied?
    May 23, 2016
  20. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    I studied German and Italian* is maybe a better answer! Darn it, I regret not studying Italian so I could throw Italian curses back at Dark Lord Dalph! We would have so much fun, dark lord to dark lord ;)

As for my favourite subjects it was mostly English and Swedish (I loved writing stories, and using the two languages I felt most secure with) I also loved civics since that was the main focus of the program I picked at the gymnasium. I learned a lot of valuable information about the society that I have use for now.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  21. Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    @Sharm I wouldn't have disliked Phys Ed so much if my teacher hadn't seemed to be out for my blood. I had no objection to playing the games and whatnot but the first two years we had swimming sections and I had just had ear surgery and needed to sit out. He kept trying to fail me for not participating even though I had a doctor's note and holes in my eardrums.
    May 23, 2016
  22. Sharm
    Sharm
    @mlogan  That's not a bad thing.  I could do logic puzzles all day, so I get the draw.

@Ms Littlefish  What is it with gym teachers that makes them like that?  Most of mine were fat too, which makes it even worse.
    May 23, 2016
  23. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    @mlogan Math was my worst nightmare in school. My sister tried her best to help my thick skull, but when it was test-time everything I studied the day before was completely gone. The stress and the anxiety that those tests gave me haunted my whole school-years  :headshake:  it was terrible.

One of the reason I really hated match because it really made me feel like sheep :/
    May 23, 2016
  24. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    Favorite Elementary School Periods: Recess, Lunch

Most Hated Elementary School Periods: Tie between Math, History, Science, Geography, English.

Favorite Middle School Period: Lunch (recess being gone by this point).

Most Hated Middle School Periods: Tie between Math, History, Science, Geography, English.
    May 23, 2016
    4 people like this.
  25. mlogan
    mlogan
    @Dark_Metamorphosis I really do understand that. I've taught algebra to struggling students as well as have tutored my nephew in it for the past year. I truly do understand that for some people it is a huge hurdle. I'm just a bit of a nerd in that I do love math. As Sharm hinted at, for me it is like logic puzzles. Solving a particularly difficult equation is the same to me as figuring out a tough puzzle. But everybody's brains are wired differently.
    May 23, 2016
  26. Sharm
    Sharm
    In other words, DesperateMeasures hates school. ;)  I feel you, school is something to break free from, not revel in.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  27. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @DesperateMeasurez - So you didn't go to High School? :p

Must of took some *looks both ways to see if I am in range to be strangled* DesperateMeasurez to achieve that.

Also, Math sucks like teaching a kid how to screw screws in random boards.  (teach them how to make a birdhouse with those screws however)
    May 23, 2016
  28. Makio-Kuta
    Makio-Kuta
    I loved math until University. University made me hate math. One sucky Professor can change a subject forever. :/

least favourite subject was Social Studies which is like history and geography combined. I just couldn't care less about history.

Favourite class was English. I love writing essays.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  29. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    My best subjects were maths and sciences, and worst were history (the more modern parts of it) and languages.
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  30. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    @AwesomeCool Haha. I won't strangle you! I was homeschooled the last three years of my student "career." My parents weren't overly thrilled with the educational system in our area at the time.

In all seriousness, Math was a subject I didn't mind as much as the others only because it came fairly easily to me. I think the reason so many subjects weren't interesting wasn't because of the material itself, but the way in which it was being presented. I can only look back at a couple of teachers who really made it fun to learn. They could have taught something I hated and would have found a way to make it interesting.

Once I got some separation from criteria being forced down my throat, I was able to discover things and really develop specific areas of interest. Now I love history, reading/writing and even certain, select aspects of science (which was one of my most hated subjects) because I can research on my own. It's so much more fun and I actually retain the information (well, sometimes...)!
    May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  31. Sharm
    Sharm
    I actually totally forgot that Geography is considered separate from History.  It was officially called "Social Studies" when I went to school too, but that's a stupid name.

Now that I'm free to learn on my own, I love it.  I still stick mostly to the arts but I love learning all kinds of things.  It's just schools that are awful.  Still hate math though.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  32. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    I think the way schools are set up and run simply don't fit all people in the same way. If you are an introvert, the chances are, you must've felt a lot of peer pressure and frustration of being pushed too far out of your comfort zone and always struggling with group projects.

I think the schools system needs to be a lot more flexible, because not everyone is the same. People have different talents and proficiencies. If we are to optimize the education of society, there should be more choice and flexibility in it. Some subjects should of course be taught to everyone. I think every person needs to have some basic knowledge of Maths and English (or whichever native language to the country is), but most other subjects should be optional from early years.

Anyways, sorry for that mini-rant there. Carry on. :p
    May 23, 2016
    5 people like this.
  33. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    @Sharm Yeah, I remember that. It was called Social Studies where I went too.

@Matseb2611 I've always tipped a bit toward the introverted side of things, though I'm far from an extreme case. But man, those oral reports in school were a real pain. I hated whenever we had to do those.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  34. Sharm
    Sharm
    I just hate pointless repetition and find non-applied knowledge to be boring beyond belief.  The social aspects of school were the worst though, being really smart but socially clueless as a kid is a recipe for bullying, and I'm still a shy introvert even now.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  35. Makio-Kuta
    Makio-Kuta
    I was shy and introverted and hung with the nerdy emo crowd and yet despite the fact that everyone else in my circle was subject to aggressive bullying from the jock circle, they all loved me? They hit a friend into a locker and I got kinda bumped as collateral and they spend a good couple minutes apologizing up and down to me? Though I was more subtly bullied, but I didn't realize it until years later. And I didn't realize it was a strong core to my low self esteem until years later either. (seriously, girls were the WORST bullies when I was in highschool. boy punch with fists. it's on the surface. the girls punched with words. whsipers. they hit deep.)

@matseb2611 I agree. the school system is not the best. especially in north america. It seems to think all kids are the same and on an equal level. But with class sizes as they are, I really don't see that having the opportunity to change. It's hard to specialize something to one student in a room of 40 kids. I've read about some schooling systems in other countries that sound SO MUCH BETTER. I often wonder if I'd actually have been prepared for university under such system; because I certainly wasn't ready. (the difference between highschool and university is VERY SHARP.)
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  36. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    @Makio-Kuta Yeah our school system works more like a factory then actual learning institutes. Basically the way they run them is to cram the kids with basic culture knowledge and factoids for 12 years until test taking time in the final years of school. I'm probably the best example of this. Spent most of my younger life moving up and down the East coast and dealing with depression, I pretty much clocked out of school. The only reason I graduated High School was because I got a perfect on my graduation test and almost got perfect scores on the SAT and ACT tests. Personally I believe grade school should be teaching basic learning and communication skills, then the first year of high school should be assisting the skills and abilities of each student and then the next three years is helping them find and hone their strengths and encouraging them to find or follow their passion.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  37. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Ever had those times when a teacher asked a question and you knew the answer, you put your hand up, but then some loud prick from another corner of the class would just shout out the answer? Yeah, I've had instances like that a lot and it used to annoy me. How can you hope to study and for teachers to know your progress when the class is pretty much run by the most loudmouthed and obnoxious kids who never learn good manners.
    May 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  38. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Matseb2611 - They don't teach life skills or anything useful tbh.  This is also the reason that the first two years of college is basically the important stuff of High School (for high schools tend to gloss over the useful stuff in favor of useless knowledge or twisted knowledge like how elementary is taught Christopher Columbus).

It should be noted that Private Schoolers and Homeschoolers tend to be much more successful then Public Schoolers (about 2 years ahead and maybe more in the worse districts).  So much so that you will never find a politician (people who make the rules for public schools and tell what is taught) ever send there kids to public (even they know which system is better).

High School is mostly a waste of time and causes kids to go out into the college world without any knowledge of what any of these subjects are about (thus they do not even know what they want to do and will spend tons of money on figuring it out).  This is compounded by the outrageous debt and incredibly high interest that going to college gives each year (thus students have no time to learn about the subjects).

After High School myself, I didn't even know what the purpose of Physics (would of loved it), Chemistry, Engineering, Psychology, History, Economics and many more subjects even has in this society.

And I lived in one of the better districts apparently (they had some extra stuff like Computer Science available).

If I have kids, I am going to be sure to pick and send them to a good Private School.  I would rather they be taught well then have it be cheaper.
    May 23, 2016
    3 people like this.
  39. AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    This is even worse when I had a friend who was a private schooler who was taught stuff at there freshmen level that is equivalent of our Senior level and his whole class is much more successful then 90% of my High School.

(no edit button/10)
    May 23, 2016