1. Dalph
    Dalph
    https://media.giphy.com/media/kXY0CA4v8mKXe/giphy.gif

I had to~
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    The original Rapunzel is incredible dark too...

If my memory serves right Rapunzel gets her eyes scratched out and gets left in a poisonous swamp and wanders around blind and aimlessly for a long, long time~~
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Dalph
    Dalph
    http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/bd/bd70f62ad7a6f91e0abd770191e5a543300767f80a6067f65311ecdf7ae40bdf.jpg
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Scythuz
    Scythuz
     Something tells me I need to read the original versions of these "kid's stories"! :p
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    Best tragedies there are XD 
    May 24, 2016
  6. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    Sounds like the Game of Thrones versions of fables  BD :rock-left:
    May 24, 2016
  7. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    Yeah! Game of Fables!  :D
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Susan
    Susan
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. Dalph
    Dalph
    Or this amazing thing:

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/TheWolfAmongUs-2013-10-11-20-35-34-78.png
    May 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  10. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    @Susan - I have been meaning to try that for a long time actually yeah!

@Dalph™ - Did I tell you I read one of the comics for that recently?  It really showed me how right they got the game.
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. Susan
    Susan
    @Scythuz: I can tell you that I was completely unprepared when I started reading that series. XD

@Dalph™: That game is amazing. :D
    May 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  12. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    @Dalph™ Uh, uh, I know! The story from disney almost follows the orginal story until she gets to land. Once there the Prince mistakes a neighboring princess to be the one that saved him from drowning and marries her. The the mermaid's sisters give her a knife and tells her that if she kills the prince she will turn back into a mermaid and can live out the rest of her 300 year old life there. But she can't bring her self to do it and commits suicide. usually when a merperson dies they just turn into foam, because they have no soul, but because she strives to get one, God gives her a soul and she is allowed into haven.

I did it teacher! Do I get a cookie? : P 
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  13. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    *gives Uzuki a mermaid cookie*
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    That's a pretty foamy cookie!
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. Susan
    Susan
    @Uzuki: I thought she turned into foam anyway? One version even mentioned that she turned into a butterfly instead of foam. These were children's versions, by the way. How sad. :(
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    I had a book of Italian Folklore and Adventures which were very dark.  One of which is the worn out dancing shoes.  Princesses go to demons to dance every night- eventually to get violated and killed.

Basically royalty would die all over the place is horrible ways and suffer.  Which apparently made common people feel better. 
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    @Susan Depends on what version you're reading. This is before copyright protection and such so the story has been passed around and changed for over a hundred years before Disney made their definative version.The original story was about wind children having to do good deeds to earn their souls. But Anderson got a lot of flack for that one and changed it to the little mermaid.
    May 24, 2016
  18. Ronove
    Ronove
    The earliest rendition of Red Riding Hood tale was likely the Story of the Grandmother (where both Grimm and Perrault likely got the tale from or from something akin to it since if it's oral tradition, it gets passed down verbally instead of recorded) where the main character tricked the Wolf into allowing her to escape and made her way home.
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  19. Ronove
    Ronove
    Charles Perrault I believe (trying to remember the class I took on fairy tales in college) likely wrote his in satire to show the stupidity of a very attractive young woman trusting a stranger. Hence why she dies in his tale.
    May 24, 2016
  20. Warpmind
    Warpmind
    If you think The Little Mermaid is dark and creepy compared to the Disney version, best stay well clear of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
    That was written by the same guy who made Les Misérables, only it's a bit darker and sadder. Just sayin'. ;)
    May 24, 2016
  21. mlogan
    mlogan
    So many game ideas, so little time...
    May 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  22. Ronove
    Ronove
    Also this link for Red Riding Hood: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/red-riding-hood-math_n_4275490.html ! Basic summary is Perrault and a Chinese poet, Huang Zhing, basically wrote their Red Riding Hood versions at the same time which indicates both came from an older version from oral tradition.

I'll be quiet now. I just get really really excited about folktales and their origins.
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  23. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    .... That would be an awesome event theme....

Dark fairytales...

And poor Harold has to be the "Prince Charming" and save all heroines and make sure the fairy tales turn happy.
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  24. mlogan
    mlogan
    Hmmm...
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  25. taarna23
    taarna23
    Children's stories used to be dark because bubble-wrapping children from the horrors of reality is a pretty recent thing. These stories were often life lessons. Like "don't wander off on your own - you look tasty to a lot of mean creatures."

As far as the little mermaid goes, one that I read went that the mermaid went to the sea witch to be made human, but she ended up having a maid's job on the prince's ship while he married another. The mermaid's sisters went to the sea witch, sacrificing their hair (I can't recall why long hair for mermaids was important...) to obtain an enchanted knife. She was to plunge the knife into the prince's heart as he slept, and when his blood washed over her feet, she would be turned back into a mermaid. However, she couldn't do it, and threw away the knife and threw herself to the sea, becoming the foam we see wash up on beaches now.
    May 24, 2016
    5 people like this.
  26. Sharm
    Sharm
    A lot of people seem to miss that the story of Little Red Riding Hood was a euphemism.  Of course she wouldn't get away at the end, that is the entire point of that type of story.  As for Little Mermaid, I was under the impression that turning into foam was actually the reward for not being selfish with the prince, since she gained a soul and mermaids didn't have souls.  I don't think of Fairy Tales as darker, just that we've lost the point of a lot of these stories so the events have different meanings than they do now.

Fairy Tales, however, weren't meant for just children.  They were stories.
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  27. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    @Sharm - There's a game I own on steam called The Path which covers the euphenism part quite well, it goes more into treating the wolves like inner demons, conflicts and vices though  :)  
    May 24, 2016
  28. Susan
    Susan
    101 Lessons on Fairy Tales & Fables.  :popcorn:
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  29. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    @Susan Aww now I want some popcorn :(
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  30. Susan
    Susan
    @Dark_Metamorphosis:

http://dinnerthendessert.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Caramel-Popcorn-Close.jpg

:D
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  31. Dalph
    Dalph
    All I want to say here is:

Poor slimmm...she has to read all this now.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PMaXYtyXmio/VVtBCPF8qJI/AAAAAAAAKyQ/IWACencjFAA/s1600/maniacal%2Blaugh.gif
    May 24, 2016
    5 people like this.
  32. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    There won't be ANY popcorn left by the time she does either! >:D
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  33. Susan
    Susan
    Only because a certain village plundering, popcorn addicted dragon ate them all. :(
    May 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  34. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    Of course! :)
    May 24, 2016
  35. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  36. Susan
    Susan
    @Scythuz: In which fairy tale did this particular dragon appear in? ;)
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  37. taarna23
    taarna23
    Yarp, it was! Weird part? I learned this from a classic Doctor Who arc that was reconstructed from the audio and some pictures and stills from the remaining video.
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  38. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    @Susan - The one where all the evil popcorn in the land was eaten by the noble, handsome dragon! 
    May 24, 2016
  39. taarna23
    taarna23
    Ooh! I was trying to remember something, there it was... It also outlined the source of the word assassin... Hash-ashim, or something to that effect (it was audio only, these words were not spelled anything); people that were left addicted to hash to the point of being willing to do anything for more. A terrifying group under Aladdin's control (yes, he is the bad guy).
    May 24, 2016
  40. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    @Sharm I didn't want to point out that LRRH is considered by most people to be a cautionary tell for young girls to not travel alone or otherwise you risk assault by creepy dudes in the woods. As for the mermaid, it's been awhile since I read the original story, when merpeople die they just turn to foam. No big exit, No horns or flashes of light, just plain ol' seafoam. When the mermaid of the story dies she turns to foam, but she gained a soul and was allowed into heaven.
    May 24, 2016
  41. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    @taarna23 - I think it was spelt Hasashin when I was 'lucky' enough to encounter them on Crusader Kings 2? 
    May 24, 2016
  42. taarna23
    taarna23
    @Scythuz Could be! I haven't a clue, but it was an interesting bit of history I'd never known.
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  43. Sharm
    Sharm
    It's not like the original versions of these stories should be the definitive ones though.  And not all of them are darker in the older versions.  For example, in the original tale of Beauty and the Beast, the Beast was actually a really nice guy, but the sorceress who changed him had done it out of spite when he'd refused to marry her.
    May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  44. taarna23
    taarna23
    @Sharm Well, to be fair, I think even in the Disney-ified version, the beast became crabby and bitter out of years of isolation and mistreatment. Can't say as how I blame him for that.
    May 24, 2016
  45. slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    (Oh my God all these notifications o.o)

@Dalph™ Yes, I did know. :D I'm pretty confident I know all the original stories. *looks at her collection of Grimm and HCA books* Also, my LRRH game has two "canon" endings if you get what I mean ;)

@Iliketea It's Rapunzel's prince actually. Rapunzel herself gets released from the tower when she's pregnant with the prince's twins. She finds the blind prince wandering around and heals his eyes with her tears. (Or at least this is what happened in the version I read :)  )

@Uzuki Yep, you're completely right. I read somewhere that HCA added the part where she goes to heaven after the story was already published, so it originally ended with her being foam.

@BananaThug I find the Grimm fairytales don't have that. It's mostly evil people who die horrible deaths.

@Ronove I heard somewhere one of the earliest renditions of LRRH is a Belgian tale. No idea if that's correct, but as a Belgian I kinda like to think so :3 

@Sharm @taarna23Well in the Disney version he is described as "spoiled, selfish and unkind". Him turning into a beast definitely turned him more bitter and crabby though and yeah who wouldn't? 
    May 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  46. slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    @mlogan You and me both, sister  ;_;  

Also, I'm all for a fairytale event! *wink wink* @Ralph
    May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.