Comments on Profile Post by Iliketea

1. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    What kind of explanation? Game mechanics and such? If so, you could take a small chunk at the time, progressively informing the player about various mechanics :)
    Jun 7, 2016
  2. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    No, its  plot :/

Explaining some very important plot twist... 
    Jun 7, 2016
  3. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    You could try show the player about the plot-twists instead and having them interact with them in the event you are creating, instead of only text. A lot of information dumping can be a bit boring.
    Jun 7, 2016
  4. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    Oh... Like a flash back, huh?
    Jun 7, 2016
  5. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    Yeah like a flashback, or having someone start telling the party about it and then transition it into a flashback where the player can take control of someone that's part of that flashback. I use that in my game, since my protagonist usually have lots of visions. I then let the player control various people that is part of that vision so they can explore the backstory themselves instead of having someone dumping all the information on them.
    Jun 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    Hmm, the "take control"-thing would be difficult to make as it isn't the main character who is talking about the things, but this is definitively a good idea! 
    Jun 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    Ye but it doesn't have to be the main character, most of those visions takes part in the past and involve other people related to the backstory. So instead the player take control of somone that isnt in the current party at all, but somone that is linked to the backstory and the current story because of what happened in the past.
    Jun 7, 2016
  8. Iliketea
    Iliketea
    Interesting!

I will see how I can use that to make the scene better ^^
    Jun 7, 2016
  9. UNphiltered_khaos
    UNphiltered_khaos
    @Iliketea have you ever played Final Fantasy VIII? I think Dark Metamorphosis is thinking about something similar to the scenes when you control Laguna Loire. You're playable character becomes some not in your party for a short time while you explore back story, then get back to your regular character.
    Jun 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Dark_Metamorphosis
    Dark_Metamorphosis
    Thats a good point, didn't think of FF VIII but thats more or less what I mean. Even though you have more control over Laguna etc in that you control them as party-members. Even better approach to it to be honest, but I usually just tell the backstory in this fashion but without the player you control being a "party" of sorts. 

Still think that this is a valid way to approach it to avoid walls of informative text, and information dumps and let the player explore the backstory on their own, instead of having a npc tell them about it.
    Jun 8, 2016