I'll fix it...

http://i.imgur.com/iniycLD.gif
    Jun 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Looks cool to me!

I like how it's animating.

Is the low palate/low color count intentional?
    Jun 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    YAY! Thanks! =3

Animating isn't my specialty and while it does kinda weird, I'm still proud of it. =3

Absolutely! This is a sprite for NES-like-style game, so I'm trying to not use many colors. (I've 'recycled' colors from other sprites)
    Jun 26, 2016
  4. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Ah okay, then as a NES sprite, i think you did good..

Personally, when i do 8 bit graphics, i prefer going with a Sega Master System 8 bit style, as it allows me to use more colors.

The Master System allowed a bit more colors than the NES did.
    Jun 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    =3

Yeah, NES had many limits, but I love that console as it brings back so many memories...

Anyway, I think I'm going beyond these limits anyway as I I'm pretty sure I'm using slightly more colors than I should. =P (I mean ~ I'm trying to make many things share the same color palette, but there probably are too many colors when counting tiles/backgrounds/sprites etc. altogether)
    Jun 26, 2016
  6. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    My sentence kinda broke, but yeah... I can't edit. =P
    Jun 26, 2016
  7. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Yeah, i think you're using 4 colors..

And i think NES games might have only had like.. 3 colors.
    Jun 26, 2016
  8. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    Yup, I think you're right ~ I was reading something some time ago ~ NES could use 4 colors (including transparency as a color)

But smart developers were bypassing these limits by putting multiple sprites for one sprite or something like this...
    Jun 26, 2016
  9. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Yeah, MegaMan games did this, his eyes are a separate sprite.

Sega Master System did not have to.

I think it used like 6 maybe 7 colors per sprite.
    Jun 26, 2016
  10. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    Yeah, that's also what was mentioned in the article I was reading before. =P Simple, yet clever.

So I guess I'm doing something in between. ^^

Either way, I'm just trying to mimic NES console, but with having more 'freedom' in it, because why not? ^^
    Jun 26, 2016
  11. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    That's what Yacht Club Games did when making Shovel Knight.

They were aiming for NES, but then took some liberties, like multi layered backgrounds scrolling.

And they even inserted some colors into the pallet that were not originally in the NES pallet.
    Jun 26, 2016
  12. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    And that's the article I was reading before. ~About Shovel Knight and NES

Yup ~ so it will be exactly something like this. While the limits give the nostalgic feel, there's always a place to make the game more modern, but still keep the simplicity of the old good games.
    Jun 26, 2016
  13. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Exactly.

Personally, i hope the next game Yacht Club makes is 16 bit... i like a bit more colors in a game.
    Jun 26, 2016
  14. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    Mhm ~ more colors surely make the game look better by throwing more life into it.

I also love the style of AMIGA games ~ these graphics had a specific tone, that was making them look 'serious'.

And the music was great. =3
    Jun 26, 2016
  15. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Ahhhh, the old Commodore Amiga... god.. that was such a long time ago... i feel so old thinking about it...
    Jun 26, 2016
  16. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    Indeed... I miss these times...
    Jun 26, 2016
  17. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    There's a game i loved on the Amiga.. Turrican!

But the SNES version Super Turrican is pretty good to.
    Jun 26, 2016
  18. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    Oooohhhh! I remember playing Turrican 3 ~ One of my favorites! I've completed that many, many, many times. And the music in here... =3

I didn't have SNES console. =P
    Jun 26, 2016
  19. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    SNES graphics were a lot like the Amiga's graphics.
    Jun 26, 2016
  20. Rikifive
    Rikifive
    I just took a look and they're really similar indeed.

And SNES Super Turrican has almost the same soundtrack for stage 1 as AMIGA Turrican 3 (also stage 1). =P
    Jun 26, 2016