Rikifive
Rikifive
I didn't want link. =/

I'll fix it...

MikePjr
MikePjr
Looks cool to me!

I like how it's animating.

Is the low palate/low color count intentional?
Rikifive
Rikifive
YAY! Thanks! =3

Animating isn't my specialty and while it does kinda weird, I'm still proud of it. =3

Absolutely! This is a sprite for NES-like-style game, so I'm trying to not use many colors. (I've 'recycled' colors from other sprites)
MikePjr
MikePjr
Ah okay, then as a NES sprite, i think you did good..

Personally, when i do 8 bit graphics, i prefer going with a Sega Master System 8 bit style, as it allows me to use more colors.

The Master System allowed a bit more colors than the NES did.
Rikifive
Rikifive
=3

Yeah, NES had many limits, but I love that console as it brings back so many memories...

Anyway, I think I'm going beyond these limits anyway as I I'm pretty sure I'm using slightly more colors than I should. =P (I mean ~ I'm trying to make many things share the same color palette, but there probably are too many colors when counting tiles/backgrounds/sprites etc. altogether)
Rikifive
Rikifive
My sentence kinda broke, but yeah... I can't edit. =P
MikePjr
MikePjr
Yeah, i think you're using 4 colors..

And i think NES games might have only had like.. 3 colors.
Rikifive
Rikifive
Yup, I think you're right ~ I was reading something some time ago ~ NES could use 4 colors (including transparency as a color)

But smart developers were bypassing these limits by putting multiple sprites for one sprite or something like this...
MikePjr
MikePjr
Yeah, MegaMan games did this, his eyes are a separate sprite.

Sega Master System did not have to.

I think it used like 6 maybe 7 colors per sprite.
Rikifive
Rikifive
Yeah, that's also what was mentioned in the article I was reading before. =P Simple, yet clever.

So I guess I'm doing something in between. ^^

Either way, I'm just trying to mimic NES console, but with having more 'freedom' in it, because why not? ^^
MikePjr
MikePjr
That's what Yacht Club Games did when making Shovel Knight.

They were aiming for NES, but then took some liberties, like multi layered backgrounds scrolling.

And they even inserted some colors into the pallet that were not originally in the NES pallet.
Rikifive
Rikifive
And that's the article I was reading before. ~About Shovel Knight and NES

Yup ~ so it will be exactly something like this. While the limits give the nostalgic feel, there's always a place to make the game more modern, but still keep the simplicity of the old good games.
MikePjr
MikePjr
Exactly.

Personally, i hope the next game Yacht Club makes is 16 bit... i like a bit more colors in a game.
Rikifive
Rikifive
Mhm ~ more colors surely make the game look better by throwing more life into it.

I also love the style of AMIGA games ~ these graphics had a specific tone, that was making them look 'serious'.

And the music was great. =3
MikePjr
MikePjr
Ahhhh, the old Commodore Amiga... god.. that was such a long time ago... i feel so old thinking about it...
Rikifive
Rikifive
Indeed... I miss these times...
MikePjr
MikePjr
There's a game i loved on the Amiga.. Turrican!

But the SNES version Super Turrican is pretty good to.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuraudo123