RPG Maker Forums

Archeia
Archeia
I honestly think Harvest Moon is still better. But I think part of it is how people relate to the setting. Stardew is ...very America I guess. And minecraft-y.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Personally, the farming feels a lot more involved than most Harvest Moon games.  The interactions with the other characters also feels more involved.  Plus, there's a list of tangible objectives to give you things to plan for, work out, and not just a set goal of "just earn all the money and marry someone" like Harvest Moon games.

Though, to be quite honest, I rather hate the combat, the constant cleaning of my farm, the mining and even crafting systems, and the whole "you can't stay up passed 1 a.m. or you immediately pass out".  Cooking in the game also isn't all that useful in my opinion.  Many of the ingredients are so rare or difficult to obtain, that it isn't worth cooking the dish associated with them.  It only gets worse when most dishes simply give you HP or restore Fatigue...  Which... if we're honest... really isn't that important unless you've played so long and have so much money that you've got thousands of dollars to buy a metric crapload of crops for more money you won't spend on anything.  I've been finding that simply throwing together basic meals from the cheapest ingredients is really all you need in terms of food, to get work done on the farm.

Stardew Valley is a fun game, but it needs quite a bit of work.  Some of that work is "why am I fishing?  what good are fish at all?", "why am I mining anything at all once I have the best equipment in the game?", "What point is there to money once your farm is as decked out as its ever going to be?", "what more is there to do once you've got a wife and kids?", "what story is there to take part in once you've completed all the bundles?", "what point is there to the alternate locations you can visit in the game like the desert, sewers, railroad tracks, etcetera?"

The game needs a lot of work.  It really does.  It's fun for about the first few days, until you've completed all the worthwhile stuff...  Then... there's nothing to do unless you just want to keep farming for the sake of farming.  Which is, in all honesty, all Harvest Moon was... except Harvest Moon had a time limit, so at least the game ended, you could start a new game, and do it all over again in a different or more efficient way than last time.  Stardew Valley doesn't really have an ending...  You can make more save files, sure... but...  With no end... and no endgame content or endgame goals...  It falls flat once you've completed the bundles and have more than 30K.
Archeia
Archeia
Harvest Moon also has a plot after marriage based on after x years and there's always fun events. But even tho it's lacking, I poured more hours into Harvest Moon GBA than Stardew, tbh.

There was also this annoying thing that most bachelors and bachelorettes in Stardew isn't as interesting? Especially the men. And the whole limit all talking in a day makes the whole thing feel a bit empty. I do like talking a lot with the npc, especially if I accidentally scrolled past their dialogue. But in Stardew, it's like 2-3 that's it. And the people in Harvest Moon does have a schedule and their dialogue changes even while walking. Stardew doesn't really have that which made it feel more mechanical.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I didn't really have that problem with the NPCs at all.  But maybe that's because I spent so much more time involved with my farm than actually speaking to anyone, that I wasn't invested in them anyway?

I did marry the gal who lives by the lake and does sculpting and stuff, because I found her interesting and I liked that she was basically the only one in town who REALLY celebrated holidays and made up her house all nice with decorations and such.

Most of the time, I ran into town, tossed some gifts into people, and went back on my way to accomplish all my farm-ey stuff.

I guess I just didn't expect the NPCs to be all that mind-blowing going into it...  Harvest Moon kind of trained me for that.  The NPCs in most of those games that I've played were... like crude caricatures of actual people, and it made it difficult for me to care about them or be invested in them.  Most Harvest Moon games, I end up just marrying whichever character annoys me the least or is the easiest to get with, and then I ignore them as much as the game lets me.

I'm just kind of used to doing that, so I don't notice it all that much when those types of games do it.

For me, the interactions with the other characters feels more involved simply because you can give gifts to them all, they send you letters if they like you enough, some of them have unlockable scenes that play out, and even if they don't have a whole lot to say...  It at least feels like something real people might say to me.  Compared to what I've experienced in Harvest Moon games anyway (where everyone is basically default emo moody or sunshine rainbows in terms of personality and text).
Dalph
Dalph
To me, every damn farm game is:

Archeia
Archeia
For me, the interactions with the other characters feels more involved simply because you can give gifts to them all, they send you letters if they like you enough, some of them have unlockable scenes that play out, and even if they don't have a whole lot to say...  It at least feels like something real people might say to me.  Compared to what I've experienced in Harvest Moon games anyway (where everyone is basically default emo moody or sunshine rainbows in terms of personality and text).

I do like the sunshine and rainbows personality of the Harvest Moon characters since where I grew up, a lot of people are like that. You feel the sense of neighborhood, letting you in gossip, getting gifts on thanksgiving, random wine and rings in your mailbox from secret admirer etc. 
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I grew up in a small town and a lot of the town was fairly "tight knit", but they weren't really sunshine and rainbows people.  It was largely a farming/ranching community and it was fairly split down social lines (rich people, poor people, farmers, townies, rodeo kids, non-rodeo kids, people who lived in the trailer park, people who had actual houses, etcetera). For me, Stardew Valley feels more like the place I grew up than the Harvest Moon games I've played.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Archeia
Archeia
Pretty much. I live in the Philippines. We laugh at almost everything and love food so...
AwesomeCool
AwesomeCool
@Archeia - Wow, the characters do feel like an actual farming town in the harvest moon series.

Never thought about that to hard and probably why I like it so much (why do I always go for the rich snob though >.>)
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Well, our town get-togethers were like that.  Where everyone laughs at everything, gets drunk, eats a lot of food, etcetera.  It just wasn't really the "day to day" type of thing that happened where I lived.  I mean, we didn't hate each other or anything, it's just that everyone had their own preferences for people to hang out with and their own little cliques, even as adults, so there wasn't a lot of the sunshine rainbows thing going on.

A lot of us were just going day to day, enjoying what down time we had, and making friends with people of similar interests.  The local bar was the hang-out place (there really wasn't anything else in town unless you counted the convenience store on the highway) or the baseball field during the kids games in the summer (but only while the games were going on).

It is and was a friendly community.  They're just not sunshine and rainbows people.  But, then again, I live in what is essentially rural South Dakota, about 20 minutes from the capital with nothing around for miles but fields.  About the only sense of community you really get there is if you meet up at the bar or all your kids are in school or events together.  Everyone else... just kind of keeps to themselves or their small group of friends.

Stardew Valley kind of captures that for me.  :D   Not sure why, it just does.
Archeia
Archeia
@Tai_MT it also helps that you're not really in a Third World country where it's a lot more important. You need an extended family in case your family themselves get into trouble and vice versa. You will socialize more, etc. We also don't necessarily have to get drunk to socialize. Did a day or three of rain caused 1 months worth of rain and flooded your entire barangay? Totally okay, let's swim around and help people and just laugh at it.

@AwesomeCool - you're not alone...I tend to go for rich snob princess type or a doctor...;;;
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
We used to have four year floods where the whole town would get together to save belongings and sandbag and stuff.  Most of where I grew up was fairly poor (even our houses weren't necessarily that great... my own house had a lot of wood damage, sticking doors, and peeling paint), but it might just be that the country I live in simply respects "rugged individualism" more than it respects "community as family".  We typically only helped others if they asked for it, or were so royally screwed that it was just understood that they needed some help.

The town I live in now (I moved here because my job is here and I don't like commuting) has almost no sense of community at all, and most of the people here are jerks.

I will say that I do miss the little bit of community I did have in my small farming town.  Even if I didn't fit in there at all, ha ha.  Maybe someday I'll move back and write books and program games from there.  Wouldn't that be something?  Ha ha.  Model a Harvest Moon type game after my hometown and let players explore my childhood.

Yeah, I'm weird, I think that'd be fun.
Archeia
Archeia
Yeah, while we have similarities except the province I lived is on the belt of storm or whatever it's called. Where all the storms always passed by. But I honestly like the suburban areas because of Fiestas and everything like that.

Also in Harvest Moon, you can technically ignore most of the events but if you want to talk, you can talk and even if they repeat themselves, it's better than 'pure silence the entire day.' Which is what I meant by it felt mechanical. Like in Harvest Moon, the grandma Elle makes me so happy since she indulges in conversation. But in Stardew, the grandma there just repeats herself and she doesn't really tell random stories. That saddens me! ;w;
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Yeah, you can ignore the events in Stardew Valley.... for the most part.  But, heaven help you if you needed something in town, or in an area the stupid citizens blocked off for their festival.  You are then forced to participate, ha ha, or wait a whole day until they unblock the location.

NPCs in games could always use more dialogue and hidden randomness.  NPCs with more to say is always better than less to say. :D   The grandpa older dude guy in Stardew Valley does seem to have quite a lot of dialogue though.  I've spent a few days running into him and talking to him while he's doing things to read his dialogue.  He's the only NPC like that, though.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a casual shirt and jeans for female MZ gen. Woo.
Crazy idea: a crossover game made to showcase different RPG Maker games. Dimension crossing is involved and you get to play as different people's characters in some wacky nonsense plot.
HexMozart88 wrote on Citali's profile.
Kikuo!
The lack of bike trails and bungee jump areas in this city should be criminalized.
SF_Actor3_8 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
literallynick_