Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. taarna23
    taarna23
    Why do some people choose the clothes they wear? Perfume they use? Get their ears pierces? Wear jewelry? Hang art in their home? Paint their house blue with a lime green door?

It's all a matter of personal expression, and we all have our own way to do it!
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Dalph
    Dalph
    Clothes have nothing to do with marking your skin permanently though?

You can remove your clothes, you can't remove a tattoo without it leaving a mark.
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. taarna23
    taarna23
    Nor can I remove my earrings without leaving a mark. People get tattoos for a variety of reasons. My grandfather was covered in Navy ones. People I know have several relating to motorcycles. Others have art presenting the names and birth dates of their children. There are many reasons, good and bad, to get a tattoo. I would not mind having one of my daughter's name, written in Cree.
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. Dalph
    Dalph
    Normal ear piercings holes can be closed through a simple surgery.

One of my previous girlfriends had them, my cousins have them, many people I know have them as well, I just don't get it what's the deal with them.

They are like bumper stickers for humans to me and can even cause skin problems, sorry but we have to agree\disagree here, they don't seem to be worth the trouble for me
    Jul 13, 2016
    3 people like this.
  5. KanaX
    KanaX
    It's a matter of principle. Tattoos (for those who are not rash) usually symbolize something important, an unchanging value, of the person who has it. A lot of people have tattoos to instill a memory or a friendship they did. It helps them feel it's real. Some things stay with us forever and because they mean so much, some people graph them on them.

I personally do think I'll tattoo myself. Not because I don't like them, but because I am pretty sure that I'll have a completely different set of ideals and principles 5 years from now. I change. Maybe it's part of who I am to be fickle. The tattoo cannot change.
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
       My mother got her only tattoo as a memorial after my dad passed (an odd choice, considering she's always been a devout christian and getting a tattoo for marking the passing of the dead is literally the only thing the bible actually says not to do involving tattoos) and I have two tattoos currently that I got after adopting my first child and when my second was born. I plan to get two more following the same pattern, but I can't make up my mind on what to get for them, exactly.

I think a lot of the appeal of tattoos (discounting drunken teenagers choices) is the fact that it's a somewhat permanent decision, what they make me look like or what they'll look like in the future isn't nearly as important to me as the things that they represent for me, and in the case of the first tattoo I got specifically, also served as a bit of pre-wedding therapy to mark for me the choices that I made that while turning my life at the time on it's head, were mine to make and what I wanted even if not what I'd thought I'd wanted a couple years prior.
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Dalph
    Dalph
    I understand the symbolism part of course and the memoral, nothing to say about that.

What I find funny is what some couples do, tattooing each other names on their bodies, then when they suddenly break up for who knows what reason, they are stuck there with that unwanted name on their body (it won't go away unless you want a permanent ugly mark).
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. taarna23
    taarna23
    @Dalph™ Ah, well then perhaps you should have been more specific when you first brought it up. ;)
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. KanaX
    KanaX
    @Dalph™ Yeah exactly why I brought up rash people and changes in oneself.
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    Gonna have to disagree with you completely here bud.  I think tattoos do make some people look better, they probably looked fine without them but there's something quite cool about someone who wears an expression of who they are on their body for the world to see, it takes a lot of courage in the more artistic cases  :p  

Really though, it's just another way for people to express themselves and I envy them in a way, I'm too skinny to have a dragon tattooed on my arm like I want to :(  
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. Dalph
    Dalph
    nah, you don't need a picture on your body to define yourself for the world, that is shown through your actions.
    Jul 13, 2016
    3 people like this.
  12. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    @Scythuz My little brother is constantly showing me all these cool sleeves that he says I should get that he's jealous that he's to rail-thin to get  :)

I also find people getting their names tattooed on each other a little funny (and a bit too predictable, I much prefer people having to guess what my tattoos mean than instantly knowing their purpose) but I guess that's just another example of personal preference as well.  I've always really liked animals, so the tattoos I choose were/are going to all be representations of animals. 
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    @Dalph™ - You don't need one no, but there are some things that can't be shown through your actions alone and some people really want to show them off, it's no different than dying your hair, body piercings, dressing a certain way or working to obtain a certain physique, it's just people working towards looking how they want to.

@Alexander Amnell - Haha will you get a dragon one for me then? :p   I imagine you have already or will have a wolf at some point right?
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
       I actually don't, so far I've gotten a dove and a turtle. I wouldn't say no to a wolf and I've got two more I need to get but first I have to figure out how a wolf would be a meaningful representation of one of my remaining two kids who I've yet to get one for. My wife takes Dalph's view on tattoos, so all I get get to be relegated to my back where they'll only really get shown off at pool parties. My brother says I'm wasting a perfect tattoo canvas, it's a shame we can't trade body types.
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. Euphony
    Euphony
    Tattoos look good on people who are already good looking. :p
    Jul 13, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. Dalph
    Dalph
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/39/7e/2b397ef09a334bd246cd2054d0dbd265.jpg
    Jul 13, 2016
    3 people like this.
  17. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    Never been a fan of them myself. I understand some people get them for reasons that may be significant in their lives. They're just personally not my thing.
    Jul 13, 2016
    3 people like this.
  18. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    I think tattoos are quite cool and are a great way to express oneself. I don't have any on me and not yet sure if I will ever get them (I'll need to think long and hard before getting one), but I think a well-placed and well-drawn tattoo can enhance a person's look. You are right that a person can look fine without them, but some people enjoy this way of expressing something about themselves as a picture on their body.

Some people have pictures of a spirit animal of theirs or one that brings them luck, or perhaps even names of their kids, or simply something they deem to connect with them on a very deep level. These things stay with you forever, so getting a tattoo on one of these is pretty understandable. What I do think is foolish is when people get a tattoo of a name of their girlfriend, because then it stays with them even if they break up. Or worse yet, getting a tattoo of some word or phrase but with a spelling mistake. :p
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. taarna23
    taarna23
    @Matseb2611 Or something in a foreign language, taking the artist's word that it means what they say it does.
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Lol yeah. Or using some symbol they think looks cool but which comes with some dark and unfavourable meaning. Like imagine someone getting a Swastika tattoo simply because they think it looks cool. XD
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  21. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    Sounds like my one uncle. He was into body building for awhile and thought he was a tough guy. Got a tattoo of some Japanese words on his arm because he thought they made him look "bad." He had no idea what they meant. For all he knew they could have read "I'm a pansy."

Tattoo artist was probably laughing his butt off.
    Jul 13, 2016
    3 people like this.
  22. taarna23
    taarna23
    @Matseb2611 Depends on if you get an inverted one or not. There are still cultures where the use of the original swastika is still used, as it is a symbol of peace and healing. The Nazi one is inverted and generally on an angle.
    Jul 13, 2016
  23. Scythuz
    Scythuz
    Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  24. Gin
    Gin
    I like tattoos because I love how each person express it´s own individuality.  :popcorn:

This being said, I just wanted to share a cool tattoo video(1 minute long)... :kiss:

Jul 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.