Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. Zeriab
    Zeriab
    *rm games with the appearance of no passion nor effort.

Not everyone is as good at RM as you, so they may spend way more effort to getting something done, and the end result may not end up look that good ind the end anyway.
    Jul 14, 2016
  2. slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    I agree. :(  It's a bit disheartening, not to mention quite sad to see good rm games get ignored in comparison.
    Jul 14, 2016
    5 people like this.
  3. Dalph
    Dalph
    That's not the point Zeriab, I don't have high standards here and I appreciate when someone gets something done, don't get me wrong.

I'm not saying I'm good with rm nor better than anyone, but like slimmm mentions here, it is disheartening to see rm games there made only to grab a quick buck, and by putting no passion or effort I really mean that. Some devs really put a lot of bad rm games out there on Steam and try to sell them at high price too.

They are buggy, messy, unplayable, filled by bazillions of copy-pasted and unedited scripts\plug-ins (just to have many features to attract viewers) they have stock resources used in a bad way, they have bad maps (some even use sample maps), no story or character dev at all.

All this will only give a bad reputation to rm.
    Jul 14, 2016
    4 people like this.
  4. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    @Zeriab It's more than just a perception thing, I have a lot of rm games in my steam library that make a lot of my daily recommendations rm games as well and I've noticed a steep decline in quality recently, with games that you can tell at a glance are cash grabs (often the 'devs' are to lazy to even format their own sale page on steam) leaving me clicking next the vast majority of the time to the games I used to buy the most.

Beyond that, it lends validity to many of the vitriolic complaints volleyed at all rpgmaker games in sight over at steam, if we aren't careful the flaws that valve continue to refuse to address in their greenlight process could very well lead to rm games becoming completely blacklisted regardless of quality in the future.
    Jul 14, 2016
    5 people like this.
  5. JCBrickston
    JCBrickston
    Don't worry though. There will always be people out there who make quality products, no matter how many negative roadblocks they have to go up against. While some people are in things for the quick cash, there will never be a day when artists who are passionate about what they do cease to exist.

It's how I look at professional sports today. I'm not the biggest fan of them since they have gotten so corporate and money driven. But there are still a handful of players out there, who you can tell would be playing the game with or without pay. They live and breathe what they do, and I respect that with all of my heart.

So, no matter how disheartening things may seem, don't let it get at you. Some folks are still out there putting their hearts and souls into their products.
    Jul 14, 2016
    3 people like this.
  6. Susan
    Susan
    Jul 14, 2016
    7 people like this.
  7. JCBrickston
    JCBrickston
    @Susan Well, it's pretty obvious that the game developer there was trying to make the next Final Fantasy 7 :D

But yeah, in all seriousness, I view stuff like that as a cheap attempt to make a buck through shock value and minimal work. Which is why I choose to play :

Mario Duck Hunt!

The story is much better.

http://gamefabrique.com/storage/screenshots/nes/super-mario-bros-duck-hunt-04.png
    Jul 14, 2016
    5 people like this.
  8. Gin
    Gin
    I never realised that RM´s was hated, but I guess it couldn´t be avoided. Haters hate everything...it´s in their nature. :unsure:

That slave master game is not my thing(starting by the visuals and ending in the language) but it must be someone´s thing. So if it is on Steam, someone saw in it something.

...To be fair, I can´t really say what because I´m definitely not gonna play it... :headshake:

But don´t feel discouraged Dalph. I´m sure one day you will definitely find a hidden gem that you will like a lot in there!

Magic happens when we least expect it... :kiss:

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-55299-weird-al-magic-floating-orb-gi-Rnw8.gif

Jul 14, 2016
  9. Macbeth
    Macbeth
    I totally agree with you Dalph: as a videogame press journalist too, i see an incredible quantity of trash on Steam
    Jul 14, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    I agree, man. I don't care about someone's skill level, as everyone has to start somewhere. If there are a lot of rough edges to a game but you can see where the developer has potential and tried, then I'm willing to forgive a lot of things. What I do care about is when there's blatantly no effort put into a project and it's shoved out in a weak attempt to make some dough.

@Susan I made it about ten seconds into that trailer...

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Beaker-Muppet-Freaks-Out-When-Doesnt-Even-Reaction-Gif.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/mouth.gif

http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/scared/scared33.gif
    Jul 14, 2016
    6 people like this.
  11. Dalph
    Dalph
    @Gin:

This is not about not liking it though, that slave master "game" is nobody's thing, ahahahah. It's a trolling game (not even something serious) and nothing more than a rushed mess to catch a few bucks, the dev even uses sample maps there. Everyone can submit stuff on Steam because Valve has 0 quality control sadly.

It's a failed attempt to rm.
    Jul 14, 2016
    4 people like this.
  12. Dalph
    Dalph
    What Susan showed is just an example of what I meant with my original post here, sadly Steam is full of stuff like that and it's not a matter of tastes, they are really really REALLY bad games (if we even want to call them games).

Plus they are commercial.
    Jul 14, 2016
    4 people like this.
  13. Macbeth
    Macbeth
    and they are also making some good money on them, trust me :D
    Jul 14, 2016
    2 people like this.
  14. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    I can buy good reviews, trade favors, or follow through just like anyone.  That being said, even the worse of games appeal to those who are naive.  Games I thought were good, wouldn't hold up with me now after two years of working behind the curtain.  Some people enjoy even the most rudimentary rpgs, while others need mechanics and story.  It's all about exposure of the player, more than exposure of the dev.

Greyfox is one of them, I've seen it.  Victim of Xen.  We've all seen them.  If the game plays and gives a baseline experience it will sell for 99 cents.  They all do.  Steam can make money like that, so they allow it.  That's what it call comes down too.  People will go into bargain bins at walmart and still buy DVDs of even the crappiest old movies, calling them classics or cult classics.   
    Jul 15, 2016
    5 people like this.
  15. Dalph
    Dalph
    I agree of course but Greyfox is not that terrible, I mean it does have a story after all and tries to have a meaning, I didn't play the other you mentioned because I'm afraid by how it looks, lol

What I don't like is these trolling messy games which make 0 sense and have 0 purpose, except for the money grabbing I guess. XD
    Jul 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  16. DesperateMeasurez
    DesperateMeasurez
    Now feeling ashamed of all the Walmart bargain bin mining I've done...

http://media.giphy.com/media/bQ4qx1qT28rHG/giphy.gif
    Jul 15, 2016
    8 people like this.
  17. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Susan Haha! I was gonna link that Slave Master game. xD Some epic rpg making right there.
    Jul 15, 2016
    5 people like this.
  18. JCBrickston
    JCBrickston
    @DesperateMeasurez You get what you pay for when it comes to bargain shopping. That's why I always make sure I'm shelling out the right amount of money for the type of quality I want. I make sure each film is worth at least 3 cents a piece on the average. If the price hits that range, I know I'm getting my money's worth :D

http://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/rXQottAccM2NCejegBp9/mp-1400x848/v1/c700x420.jpg
    Jul 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  19. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Mate, it's not just horrible RM games. There are horrible games made in virtually all engines there. We all know how many bad ones are made in Unity (I was playing one last night in fact). I think most of those do not even get through greenlight. They bypass the whole process by finding a publisher who gets a free pass, which is so very wrong in my opinion. Either the publisher needs to be more stringent or Steam needs to be.
    Jul 15, 2016
    4 people like this.
  20. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Jul 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  21. Dalph
    Dalph
    pssst...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/096/361/cd3.gif
    Jul 15, 2016
    4 people like this.
  22. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Dalph™ Look at this gem:

You can't get much better than that. Haha! I love their games, though. They make awesome prank gifts for people on Steam. :p
    Jul 15, 2016
    4 people like this.
  23. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Don;t forget about this gem (not Digital Homicide, but equally as bad):
    Jul 15, 2016
    4 people like this.
  24. Dalph
    Dalph
    lol wth is wrong with the walking animation of the main character?

You know, the name is appropriate if you think about it, "Digital Homicide", they totally kill games and digitally. XD
    Jul 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  25. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Matseb2611 Ah yes. The game in which you have to exploit a glitch to work your way up the side of a wall in order to progress. Good find. Good find.
    Jul 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  26. Zeriab
    Zeriab
    Yeah, people generally conclude lack of passion and effort way too easily. Devs has a natural bias and don't actually try to compensate, players simply judge the end product.

That said, when talking about negative effects on the rm reputation it's the appearance of no passion nor effort which actually matters. For me the end product, the game, is what really matters. Though poor communication skills can easily negatively affect things as well.
    Jul 15, 2016