Comments on Profile Post by Faye Valentine

1. Dalph
    Dalph
    Don't be so sure about that, I saw many good maps that are even over 80x80 (and that is considered big), the size itself of the map doesn't really matter unless you are exaggerating with something like 200x200. The secret is in how you detail them and keep a good balance for navigation space.
    Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. UNphiltered_khaos
    UNphiltered_khaos
    Not trying to be obtuse, but what about like a city map, or a world map?
    Oct 12, 2016
  3. Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    That's not entirely true big maps can be good, if they are properly sized in scope and in purpose and also fit in with the relative map size of the rest of the game. I tend to stick to smaller maps in general, so my "large" maps are large relative to my other maps. 

Granted many new game makers often make interiors much larger than needed relative to what is actually inside.
    Oct 12, 2016
  4. Faye Valentine
    Faye Valentine
    Sure, well-designed big maps can be good. That's why they are well-designed. Truth is, my fellow, I've seen so little good big maps, and the reason is simple: the bigger the map gets, the more difficult it is to detail it. It has to be well structured to make it work, otherwise you'll get a flat, boring and huge map.

Oh, the exception of the rule could be dungeons (because those don't need to be beautiful, only fun. There are limits tho) and worldmaps!

My way of thinking is that, if you can take maps that would be big by nature, and build them in a reduced size, you're a good mapper because you have a good notion of space and know how and where to place things correctly.
    Oct 12, 2016
  5. Faye Valentine
    Faye Valentine

the more difficult it is to detail it. It has to be well structured to make it work, otherwise you'll get a flat, boring and huge map.

Also, gotta say that the bigger it gets, you are more likely to repeat tiles and the chances of the map having a boring design also gets bigger.
    Oct 12, 2016
  6. Dalph
    Dalph
    On the other side though, making small maps feels like cheating, because the space is very limited so it's way easier to add details filling the whole screen. If you notice a lot of small maps are also mostly cluttered and they are hard to navigate due to limited space, they look more like pictures, to not count the fact that there will be a lot of transfer events placed everywhere if you plan to make cities, that makes exploration TEDIOUS, while in big maps you really feel like you are exploring a huge area, it's more immersive and smooth to go around.

My favourite size is 40x40 or 60x60, I really hate making cities or villages in 17x13 or 20x20, these are sizes for interiors.
    Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    Even then though I'd say their are justified circumstances for repeated tiles. Say you are having characters climb up a vast stairway to a monastery (sure you can have some variance along the way) but I would totally expect to see stairs repeated a lot. It makes sense in the environment.
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    @Dalphjuice™ I don't know how anybody could make a city or village in those sizes; way to small. Could barely fit a few good looking buildings in.
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Dalph
    Dalph
    Oh you totally can if you use the RTP tiles making small Minecraft styled houses, hahaha.
    Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. Faye Valentine
    Faye Valentine
    (out of topic: why sometimes I put the @ but can't tag people and other times I can? jesus it's frustrating)

Well, just as everything, it's a matter of having the right balance in the right situations - thus, it's relative. Small maps don't have the problem of being boring/bad designed (like, they CAN be bad designed but the room for error is little, like come on, you have a tiny space, you can't mess up) but if over saturated it gets hard to walk on them (in-game). While in big maps it gets tedious because you gotta walk too much. 

About cities I gotta say a good (and old) trick is to separate it. Specially good for capitals. Separate it by districts and don't make it a whole enormous area. It is easier to navigate, to remember where things are and it doesn't take that much effort to make them. 
    Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    @Faye Valentine I have that issue to sometimes, it won't seem to load any user names.

Yeah, I prefer separated city areas, mostly out of it being easier to remember things like locations of shops or specific "npcs."
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. Dalph
    Dalph
    But-but-but guys, my beautiful 17x13 Pokemon-Minecraft styled village. D:

http://i.imgur.com/zk3g2mm.png

That's not even as bad as I thought but absolutely NOBODY of the NPCs has to move.

Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  13. Faye Valentine
    Faye Valentine
    The color, my eyes, the suffering!!11!11

(now really that tint screen is saturated as hell hahaha)

You know, I like both realistic sized houses and silly cartoony 1-tiled houses haha those are lovely. Specially in VX/Ace with those tiny 32x32 chibis.
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Dalph
    Dalph
    That is the standard MV RTP tint for twilight\dusk you know, I didn't change anything, hahaha.

Took me 5-10 minutes to make this joke map and there's no way you can even have an action cutscene or a dialogue without the player being distracted by everything in a tiny map like that.

Houses like that are ok but I struggle to take them seriously.
    Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. Faye Valentine
    Faye Valentine
    You can't make a dead serious game with those tiny houses lol, it's a matter of fact! It's like having cute busts for a horror game - pro tip: it won't work. Now for light hearted games it's cool.
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    @Dalphjuice™ Where do all the citizens live?, lol

@Faye Valentine Actually, that looks less saturated than the standard for ace I believe; or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. To me a standard house needs to have two tile high walls for the now standard chibi sizes.
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. Dalph
    Dalph
    @Vampire Vox:

Good question and yes, it's way less saturated than the ACE standard tint, for my eyes it's not too saturated either, I saw a game here where tints were like 3x higher than this, hahaha.
    Oct 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    @Dalphjuice™ I was going to say that tint really looks pretty decent. Ace's was definitely too harsh.
    Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.