Comments on Profile Post by Alexander Amnell

1. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Ha-ha! I shouldn't laugh, but this kind of stuff happens more than it should. $250 for an ancient water boiler part. Maybe you can get lucky exploring a junkyard? Do you have carboot sales over there? Over here, people gather in open spaces, on certain days, and sell stuff they no longer want from their cars, vans, etc. You can sometimes find really old, and even priceless, stuff at them.
    Mar 28, 2017
    Marsigne, Dalph and Alexander Amnell like this.
  2. Dalph
    Dalph
    Just for curiosity, how big is the thing anyway? My father repairs those and many other appliances too and that price is really ridiculous even for an outdated part.
    Mar 28, 2017
    Susan and Alexander Amnell like this.
  3. Dalph
    Dalph
    I mean, now I don't know how big that water heater is but here in Italy a whole new water heater of 80 liters (considered large sized) costs only 50 bucks, unless you have something that is at least the triple of this size.
    Mar 28, 2017
    Susan likes this.
  4. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    It is a plastic knob with a coupler for a couple of valve gates in a metal box, it is absurd for anyone to claim it costs more than the heater as a whole to machine them just because they're a few years old. I've half a mind to ask my brother to machine and mail me one based on it's specifications, though that is highly illegal everywhere.
    Mar 28, 2017
  5. Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    @Dalph it's a 60 liter one and that is my point, that it's actually more economical for me to trash the whole thing than it is to repair it.

Some Eco-activist should look into the rules and regulations that allegedly (meaning that's what the guy at the parts shop claims) cause parts of a certain age to cost more than entirely new units. It's all completely absurd.
    Mar 28, 2017
    Dalph likes this.
  6. taarna23
    taarna23
    Well, to be fair, something like that may happen due to new safety regulations making it so the old part is no longer even produced. Demand + no supply = high cost.
    Mar 28, 2017
  7. Reapergurl
    Reapergurl
    @Alexander Amnell Um...

$20? $250!?!?

The cost to make this part is $9. A friend of mine is a machinist and knows this sort of thing and repaired my furnace for free because the $600 estimate for the entire repair only cost my friend < $55.

Supply and demand = Excuse; it's plastic, and copper wire. Supply and demand for both is high.
    Apr 1, 2017
    Alexander Amnell likes this.