Comments on Profile Post by leenat40

1. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    Well, it depends on some game parameters. I believe that you will create a RPG, but the attribute of Open World/Linear is yours to choose based on mostly two elements :

\Continued
    Apr 8, 2017
  2. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    -Sub-Genre : Will it be a Strategy RPG where the key element is winning battles ? Or, is it an Adventure RPG where everything takes place on the world map, with exploring, unraveling the storyline and seeing the characters interact with each other ? Maybe a mix of both ?
    Apr 8, 2017
  3. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    If the main idea of your game is exploring and having all the time in the world, you'll definitely pick Open World. Just brace yourself for the incredible amount of maps you're gonna need for a true Open World. If you want to game to focus only on the main storyline(s) so the player never leaves the atmosphere and stays completely immersed in the game, you can pick Open World, but Linear is way safer.
    Apr 8, 2017
  4. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    -Story : Already talked briefly about it, but the density and impact of the story will help you decide between OW & Linear. If your story can be roughly summarized by "Bad guy does evil things to rule the world", then you definitely have a lot more room in the story for some filler, therefore Open World.
    Apr 8, 2017
  5. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    If, on the contrary, your storyline ties complicated knots between a lot of characters, with a lot of elements to puzzle together to finally learn the whole story, you'll choose and keep a Linear game, as it will mean a Linear Storytelling, and thus the player is less likely to be lost in the storyline or forget one of its crucial elements.
    Apr 8, 2017
  6. Kes
    Kes
    Status Updates is not for long and detailed discussions. It is intended for random thoughts, odd bits of information, things like that. @leenat40 Maybe put some details together and post in 'Features Feedback'? Without something to go on, your question is unanswerable, certainly in the space that Updates provides.
    Apr 8, 2017
  7. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    There are other parameters that can change your decision or not, but these are the two I mainly thought about.

Also, sorry if it's a little long, I often make a huge paragraph for something that can easily be said in short.
    Apr 8, 2017
  8. leenat40
    leenat40
    @Blackyu Well... The story is a big part of the game. It's really dark too.
    Apr 8, 2017
  9. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    @leenat40 In that case, you should probably try to keep the player interested in the main story at all costs, I recommend a Linear gameplay.
    Apr 8, 2017
    leenat40 likes this.
  10. Kes
    Kes
    Please continue this discussion in the appropriate forum or by pm. Status Updates is not the place for it.
    Apr 9, 2017
  11. Lunixx
    Lunixx
    It all depends on what you think works best. There's many games that work better linear and others that work best open-world. If you have a story heavy game and don't want to take centuries to make it. Especially if you're just a one person team. I'd say linear and semi-open would probably work best.
    Apr 9, 2017
    leenat40 likes this.
  12. Ryzler
    Ryzler
    Linear with optional side areas that either stray from the main path or can be sort of fast traveled to?
    Apr 9, 2017
    leenat40 likes this.
  13. leenat40
    leenat40
    @Ryzler I think that would work. While saying linear, I mostly meant Final Fantasy 13 Linear. :d
    But a few open areas would work. Thanks!
    Apr 10, 2017