Comments on Profile Post by Poryg

1. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Always try to keep calm, even in dangerous situations. A clear mind helps you to focus, allowing you to figure out a plan of action which isn't based upon a strong emotion or instinct. If possible, try to seek out help if your life is in danger.
    Jul 26, 2017
  2. Poryg
    Poryg
    My life isn't in danger, but I've already been close to death twice. I was calm though, so I survived with no problem :) also, I trust my instincts :)
    Jul 26, 2017
  3. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Good choice on trusting your instincts, when people tend to ignore those things don't end well. I just advice you to be careful, and I hope the person that's blackmailing you gets caught. Stay safe!
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poryg likes this.
  4. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Rely on instincts to an extent, but do not allow yourself to become enslaved to them. As a Human, you have access to something other creatures do not have - a powerful, creative, and logical, brain. This is why a clear mind is better than an emotionally clouded one.
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poryg likes this.
  5. Poryg
    Poryg
    Me too, @Guiguimu. It had no influence on me, but someone can get seriously messed up from that bullying. @The Stranger That is why you need to choose which instincts you trust. When I heard sounds of a cracking bark, I didn't spend a minute trying to think about it. I had ran out of reach before the tree falls.
    Jul 26, 2017
  6. Poryg
    Poryg
    In the end the tree fell precisely to where I had been standing. I always trust my survival instincts and it has paid off so far, I'm still alive.
    Jul 26, 2017
  7. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Poryg And what if the cracking bark sound was nothing at all? Instincts are based, largely, on previous experience and extremely primitive flight or fight reactions. Sometimes, the reactions and instincts we build up over time are harmful, or outright wrong, due to the manner in which they were created.
    Jul 26, 2017
  8. Poryg
    Poryg
    If the cracking bark was nothing at all, I would have looked. I'm not sure how yours works... However, mine completely shuts down all emotions. I would be able to do anything necessary in that state. Then, when the danger and my alert mode wears off, I suffer a trauma from realizing what just happened.
    Jul 26, 2017
  9. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Poryg So, your natural flight instinct took over, that's all. For whatever reason you assumed a sound was dangerous, then fled. Suffering from paranoia I often identify non-threatening things as threats and respond with either flight or fight. Paranoia is your instincts in hyper-alert mode, which identify any potential threat as a very real threat.
    Jul 26, 2017
  10. Poryg
    Poryg
    That survival instinct kicked in when I got blackmailed yesterday too. I was in danger, so my emotions got all shut down and I entered an adrenaline rush. However, I assessed the situation absolutely calmly. No traces of panic, no traces of haste, no traces of emotions... I just went on, completely ruthlessly.
    Jul 26, 2017
  11. Poryg
    Poryg
    My survival instinct also kicks in only in situations where I'm sure i'm facing immediate danger. When my life could be in immediate danger, fear and self-preservation instinct comes in. I've managed to supress the self-preservation instinct though to some extent.
    Jul 26, 2017
  12. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Flight isn't panic mode. Flight or fight is your brain assessing a situation (which it does without you, and extremely quickly) then determines whether you should stand your ground or flee. Either way adrenaline is released and you become ready for action. Sometimes, this can make it appear as if time has slowed down, or you have quicker reflexes, etc.
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poryg likes this.
  13. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Survival instinct is just a common term for flight or fight - where higher thought is surpressed in favour of confronting or fleeing from a threat. The third choice your brain sometimes makes is submission, but this generally only happens under certain cirumstances: no escape from overwhelming danger, social dispute, depression, etc.
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poryg likes this.
  14. Poryg
    Poryg
    I see. So the difference between flight/fight and panic mode is emotional. However, it still doesn't kick in unnecessarily in my case, or at least it never happened.
    Jul 26, 2017
  15. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    You wouldn't be aware of it, since it happens in the blink of an eye, it's not something you feel build up or anything. There's a tonne of stuff you are not in control of in your own body and mind, but it all serves a purpose.
    Jul 26, 2017
  16. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    So, you heard a loud snapping sound while near some trees, your brain instantly determined it to be a threat and compelled you to flee. Flee doesn't mean run away crying, it just means to avoid danger in this context. The instincts I was talking about earlier on are not survival ones (flight or fight, etc) it's to do with judgements made based upon experience.
    Jul 26, 2017
  17. Poryg
    Poryg
    Adrenaline rush, pressure in my chest, emotional shutdown increased heartbeat, how can I not notice that :D
    Jul 26, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  18. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    That's the effects of it, but you don't experience anything before the decision to fight, flee, or submit, is made. You'll also find you will start sweating; this serves the purpose of making you harder to hold on to if caught. :)
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poryg likes this.
  19. Poryg
    Poryg
    As for the loud snapping sound... It was not loud at all. It were short snaps, completely unnoticeable had I been weaking my 30 db silencing earmuffs. I went to a realization though that since the sounds increased in frequency and they were precisely on my right side, the tree would probably fall on me. That was when I started running, not thinking about it anymore. Right side was also uphills.
    Jul 26, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  20. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    They would've been loud enough to hear, rather than the level of a whisper, though. We're all capable of of identifying what is or isn't a threat to a certain degree. Some people have that ability enhanced or weakened by various mutations, illnesses, disabilities, or psychological issues. In fact, more than just your hearing likely played a vital role in determining the threat.
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poryg likes this.