Comments on Profile Post by Shaz

1. Shaz
    Shaz
    After nearly 30 years of programming, when something isn't doing what I think it should be doing, my first thought is "What have I done wrong?" Blaming the engine is always the last option.
    Aug 12, 2017
    mlogan, Sarlecc, Matseb2611 and 3 others like this.
  2. Susan
    Susan
    The old proverb rings true:
    A bad carpenter always blames his tools. ;)
    Aug 12, 2017
    mlogan, Dalph, Sarlecc and 4 others like this.
  3. Hudell
    Hudell
    I clicked the "New Game" and the engine didn't generate the game I was thinking. Please fix.
    Aug 12, 2017
    bgillisp, mlogan, Sarlecc and 6 others like this.
  4. djDarkX
    djDarkX
    Troubleshooting your project? What's that? /sarcasm

Yeah...only my idiocy is to blame when things go wrong, not the editor itself. They expect it to work without issues if they mess up. Well, I'd love to see them try that with more sophisticated engines. lol
    Aug 12, 2017
    Susan and Shaz like this.
  5. Poryg
    Poryg
    My Python teacher was a wise man. "Programming languages are perfect. They will always do what you really tell them to do, not what you think you tell them to do." Only brackets are stupid, causing so much trouble...
    Aug 12, 2017
    Shaz, bgillisp and mlogan like this.
  6. Skunk
    Skunk
    "gas light came on, my car must be broken"
    Aug 12, 2017
    Nutty171, Susan, bgillisp and 2 others like this.
  7. Dalph
    Dalph
    Rpg Maker doesn't make my game for me.
    0\10 would complain again, your engine is dog poop.
    Aug 12, 2017
    Susan, The Stranger, NPC and 2 others like this.
  8. Kes
    Kes
    The claim that the engine is buggy I can deal with. It's when it's all wrapped up in a massive rant that I start having issues with it.
    Aug 12, 2017
    Susan, The Stranger and Dalph like this.
  9. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Remember, though. This engine isn't a real engine according to some people. :p The complaints tend to be: it's too easy to use (bad), it's too hard to use (bad), it can't do anything (bad). Of course, neither of those are legit complaints. A lot of people struggle to use the current engine to its full potential, but then go on to demand 3D implementation.
    Aug 12, 2017
    Susan and Dalph like this.
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Funny thing is, I still remember my first two attempts to use RPGMaker. Attempt 1 I crashed the computer, but that was because I fiddled with scripts with no idea what I was doing. Attempt 2 resulted in a treasure chest that gave the reward every time you opened it, as I hadn't yet understood self switches.
    Aug 12, 2017
    Susan and The Stranger like this.
  11. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @bgillisp Ha-ha! That sounds like my first game, minus the fiddling with scripts. Before RPG maker XP was released, I made a crazy game which made no sense, and a chest inside a ship which gave you infinite potions. Not understanding switches led to a lot of weird moments. Fond memories. :)
    Aug 12, 2017
  12. Poryg
    Poryg
    My first attempts were simple. I learned to play with the engine. And spent weeks and weeks just naming features and then programming them in the RM. Then I went on to making.
    As for the RM, I don't have issues with bugs in MV, since I don't encounter them. But the engine is so inefficient, that is what I don't like.
    Aug 12, 2017
  13. overlordmikey
    overlordmikey
    Bah, I always just assume I'm doing something wrong unless reports suggest otherwise. Most problems are caused by good-ol-human-error!
    Aug 12, 2017
    mlogan and Shaz like this.
  14. Marquise*
    Marquise*
    Reading comment reported in the status and... *facepalms* well just short temper. Patience is the key of almost everything!
    Aug 27, 2017