Comments on Profile Post by Poryg

1. Poryg
    Poryg
    The funny thing is though that using scripts gives you only a very little advantage, yet people put it on the same level as an Enemy position showing cheat.
    Aug 27, 2017
  2. cabfe
    cabfe
    "Once a cheater, always a cheater", I guess.
    Aug 27, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    It's not about that actually. I don't cheat in CS, I don't play online anyway. But bought a mouse that has different dpi settings and allows you to even setup macros to for example effectively eliminate weapon recoil, a skill you normally have to master. However, since people shared these macros on youtube, some are angry, because you're a cheater, when in fact the advantage gained from using this macro is so low.
    Aug 27, 2017
  4. Poryg
    Poryg
    If you want to be good in CS, you'll have to learn how to eliminate recoil anyway. Eliminating recoil won't help you at all in aiming... And no matter how good of a macro it is, it has no effect on your actual aiming or reaction time, you can't just turn it into an aim bot or stuff like that, except when you plant actual cheats into the mouse.
    Aug 27, 2017
  5. Marquise*
    Marquise*
    When you play alone on a game those are called mods. Althought I know mods that are for multiplayer too. :3 (Me and Don't Starve!)
    Aug 27, 2017
  6. Poryg
    Poryg
    You're not modding the game though, but a mouse. Building a macro so that: "on left button hold: click, wait 20 ms, move down 100 pixels, wait 20 ms, click, move down 20 ms, move down 60 pixels and left 30 pixels", and so on... In other words with one mouse button hold you can make the mouse move in such a way that it shoots with no effective recoil.
    Aug 27, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  7. cabfe
    cabfe
    Technically, it's an "assist" and can be considered cheating since it does something in place of the player.

Imagine this scenario: in a Street Fighter contest, someone uses a modified pad that makes the combo for you when you hit a button. Wouldn't that be cheating?

I can understand the angry ones. Sure, recoil elimination is a small degree of assist, but it's still an assist.
    Aug 27, 2017
    Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  8. Poryg
    Poryg
    This is why there is this conflict. Because it is actually not clear what it is.
    According to a cheat's definition, it is using a device (whether it is software or hardware) to give yourself an unfair advantage over other players. If we look at it, we have 144/230Hz monitors vs 60Hz monitors, giving more FPS, smoother animations and therefore can influence your reactions.
    Aug 27, 2017
    starlight dream likes this.
  9. Poryg
    Poryg
    Then we have of course gaming keyboards and gaming mice with smart sensors that move the cursor depending on how fast you move the mouse. This allows for greater precision during aiming than those that don't have it. Or if you have an infrared keyboard with reaction time 0.2 ms, this will give you advantage over those that have reaction time 1 ms.
    Aug 27, 2017
  10. Poryg
    Poryg
    My mouse then allows me to gain unfair advantages due to several points. I have the ability to set multiple dpi settings ranging from 800 to 4000 dpi and be able to change my dpi level just with one click. An unfair advantage against those who are stuck with only one dpi level.
    Aug 27, 2017
  11. Poryg
    Poryg
    I also have six sniper modes available with the mouse, which are ranging from 1: lower dpi for precision while sniping to 6: Shoot, change weapon and back to sniper rifle (which doesn't work in CSS, because there you have to click to select a weapon, but works in CSGO). However, most sniper modes are completely legit, since you can bind it in console.
    Aug 27, 2017
  12. Poryg
    Poryg
    Then I have these macros... Which are what completely separates the society. Because true, no recoil hacks are bannable by Valve, but in this case while in theory it can be considered an assist, in practice it is actually a mouse movement script bound on a key. And bindable scripts have been out there for quite some time (to have more power over the extra buttons many gaming mice have).
    Aug 27, 2017
  13. Poryg
    Poryg
    As for your question, I think that modifying a gamepad so that it unleashes a combo on a button press is fine in casual play. Because apart from always perfectly executing the combo it doesn't do anything special. In official tournaments these things are impossible, because official tournaments ban any equipment that has extra functions (including 144Hz monitors) to ensure equal grounds.
    Aug 27, 2017
  14. Poryg
    Poryg
    Two reasons why we don't see these mice in pro levels... Because they simply cannot be there due to their uselessness in pro tournaments. And also because it often makes little difference there if you use key binds or do it the long way... Because even in games like starcraft, where the apm matters a lot, there is much more to it than apm.
    Aug 27, 2017
  15. Poryg
    Poryg
    Just like in CS there's much more to it than recoil reduction (which makes me wonder why the script's danger is so overrated btw. Because it gives you only a very small and very limited advantage over weaker players). It is like when a pickpocket is treated like a murderer.
    Aug 27, 2017
  16. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    In rl terms that would be like you are using a Vector and your opponent has to use a Sten, similar weight, function and rof, but the more advanced recoil control in the vector makes it a lot easier to put sot with it, giving you a distinct advantage over the other guy at the critical moment.
    Aug 28, 2017
  17. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    In sp do what you want, but using macros to eliminate an actual game mechanic working against the player is an exploit to me in a competitive scenario, true it isn't as bad as other exploits are by any means, but every little advantage stacks up and I feel that putting yourself on superior ground to your opponent outside of actual skill with the game mechanics should be frowned upon competitively.
    Aug 28, 2017
  18. Poryg
    Poryg
    Casual mp scenario still isn't really competitive though. As for the Vector vs. Sten, true, Vector gives me some advantage in terms of recoil control (although that's not gonna help me anyway, since I'll be firing small bursts of bullets). However, what if the sten has a silencer? In more relevant words what if I put my macros against a 144Hz monitor or other stuff?
    Aug 28, 2017
  19. Poryg
    Poryg
    This is, simply put, both of us having a certain advantage, just in a different area. I have less recoil, he has smoother animations, which allow him to react faster.
    The thing on casual level is, you can't really eliminate the difference in equipment. So when it gives advantages so small that it doesn't really matter, I don't see a point in frowning upon them.
    Aug 28, 2017
  20. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    It establishes an elitist hierarchy where those who can afford to stack those little advantages become innately superior to those who cannot by accumulating every advantage they can. Granted the superiority of the wealthy over the poor is a universal truth by nature, but that doesn't mean it's wrong in my opinion to strive for equivalence wherever possible, especially where entertainment is concerned.
    Aug 28, 2017
  21. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Your advantages can ruin the game for someone who has to already cope with the disadvantages of their older systems handicapping them in the opposite direction already, combine the two and you can appear just as bad as a more serious cheater to players like that, thus creating a toxic environment for anyone who can't buy their way into competitiveness.
    Aug 28, 2017
  22. Poryg
    Poryg
    Actually, you're not right here.
    Nothing can buy your way into competitiveness. Recoil reduction cannot help you aim. Better reaction time you can gain through 144 Hz monitors can help you aim, but it is again a very small advantage and cannot replace skill.
    Not to mention, on casual level we don't bother with who has which equipment, we just wanna play.
    Aug 28, 2017
  23. Poryg
    Poryg
    Actually, a much more toxic environment would be created if I was a highly skilled player and just went on sandbagging so I could kill weak players. This would create a toxic environment, because I would just crush everybody with my difference in skill. This is also why many new players left Warcraft 3 back in its' glory days btw. Lack of skill mattered in many cases. Not equipment.
    Aug 28, 2017
  24. Poryg
    Poryg
    Of course I'm now not considering the cases of lag, because lags are a completely different story.
    Aug 28, 2017
  25. Poryg
    Poryg
    Of course it isn't wrong for you to strive for equality, especially where entertainment is concerned. It's just completely impossible, except for consoles, which have the same hw specs and are very hard to upgrade in any way. However, not even console gamers are on equal terms. By default console games run on 30 fps and if you want 60 fps, you need to mod the game.
    Aug 28, 2017
  26. Poryg
    Poryg
    Again though, 30 or 60 fps, you can enjoy the game nevertheless, even while playing online. You have a minor difference in possible reaction times due to lower fps, but if your opponent is not skilled, it won't matter at all.
    Aug 28, 2017
  27. Poryg
    Poryg
    In fact the best example I can present are racing games. I play f1 2014... Well, not online, because my lap times are 10 seconds too slow to be close to competitive. I play f1 2014 on 800x600, intermediate difficulty... And on keyboard, the worst possible choice among wheel, pad and keyboard. However, I don't feel bad about others having advantage with wheel and pedals while I have to deal with keyboard.
    Aug 28, 2017
  28. Poryg
    Poryg
    A person can be competitive with any of these three. With keyboard you cannot be as quick as the wheel users, but even so, I wouldn't really care as long as the game brings fun to me.
    Aug 28, 2017
  29. Marquise*
    Marquise*
    We are far away from the cane to help a gimpy person to go to a walking competition or fake legs to an amputee to race with others who runs on foot!
    Aug 28, 2017
  30. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    All is fair in love and war... ;_;
    Aug 28, 2017
    Marsigne likes this.
  31. Poryg
    Poryg
    @Marquise* There is no way to compare competitive level to casual level like this. Competitive level will try to make the conditions as same for everyone as possible. But in casual level you always don't have to. So you can experience an amputee racing someone with feet, not in an event, but in a casual run. Either he won't care you have feet or he will and has reasons to run with you.
    Aug 28, 2017
    Marquise* and starlight dream like this.
  32. Marquise*
    Marquise*
    There was that one who killed his wife but still was an Olympic champion runner with no legs but not in the Paralympics competitions!
    Aug 30, 2017