Comments on Profile Post by Sharm

1. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I wholeheartedly agree. I guess it looks fine for the default animations, but the moment you try a new art style you can really see how restrictive it is. I'm just glad we have some nice plug-ins which remedy it.
    Oct 4, 2017
    Guiguimu likes this.
  2. Sharm
    Sharm
    Yeah, I'd just use a plugin and add more frames but I'm making this to be sold so ease of use is really important. Setting it up and making clothes for a 3 frame run would be much easier.
    Oct 4, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  3. Sharm
    Sharm
    If I was doing this myself, 8 frames all the way.
    Oct 4, 2017
    starlight dream and The Stranger like this.
  4. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    If you feel up to doing extra work, you could always include 8 frame spritesheets in your pack. I know PVGames does it. It would mean double the work, however.
    Oct 4, 2017
  5. Sharm
    Sharm
    I'm not going to let myself consider it until after I've done everything else I'm thinking about making, which is a LOT. Collapsing, sitting, sleeping, plus all the alternate body types I came up with. And once I'm done with that I'm going to make a larger version to fit with MV's stuff.
    Oct 4, 2017
  6. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Wow! It's great that you're making so many different animations\states for your sprites. I've always felt these special poses add some nice detail to games, so I appreciate it when artists take the time to create them.
    Oct 4, 2017
    starlight dream likes this.
  7. Sharm
    Sharm
    Yeah, more animations just make a game feel like it was made with care and love, and add so much life. It'd be fun to add more than that but the work would grow exponentially and no one would want to buy a pack that expensive, especially since it won't be coming with clothes.
    Oct 4, 2017
  8. Sharm
    Sharm
    Hmm, maybe I can work them in elsewhere. Royalty clothing pack with bonus dancing animation. Hero clothing pack with bonus attack animation. Yeah, I think that'd work.
    Oct 4, 2017
  9. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    A lot of the larger art and music packs released here are too cheap, imo. I sometimes buy royalty free assets from other sites, in which a single track or piece of art will cost around £75-100 for commercial usage. Your royal clothing pack sounds nice, as do the dancing animations. :) More characters need dancing animations.
    Oct 4, 2017
  10. Sharm
    Sharm
    Yeah, the expectation of cost in RM world is much cheaper than everywhere else, and then people complain about the costs still and wonder why there are always so few competent artists willing to stick around. My stuff is more expensive than what's normal here, that's for certain.
    Oct 4, 2017
  11. taarna23
    taarna23
    I'll be honest - I feel like you can't make a good run with 3 trames. You can probably make a not-great one, with a better one that's more than 3 frames, and include both with a link to the plugin that allows more frames.
    Oct 4, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  12. Sharm
    Sharm
    It'll be better than not great, I think. Now that I've had time to stop being annoyed I'm fine with it. I mean, it was pretty common for SNES games to use only 2 frames for running, and those looked pretty good. Seiken Densetsu 3 had 6 frames but it borrowed most of those from the walk animation.
    Oct 4, 2017
    nio kasgami likes this.
  13. nio kasgami
    nio kasgami
    lol nan I study 3D animation and I can assure u even in 2D a good walk cycle woulds require a minimum of 6 frames :3
    Oct 4, 2017
  14. Sharm
    Sharm
    It really depends on the size you're working at. If you get small enough more than 2 frames is completely useless. But for the size of the sprites I've been doing it really should have a few more frames. Maybe someday I'll do an update. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
    Oct 4, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  15. Plainview
    Plainview
    XP Sprites were so much better, imo.
    Oct 4, 2017
  16. Sharm
    Sharm
    Tall sprites FTW!
    Oct 4, 2017
    Plainview likes this.
  17. gstv87
    gstv87
    8-frame characters, 15-frame battlers, expandable, with preloader.
    WIP, tho.
    ...........interested? :D
    Oct 4, 2017
  18. Sharm
    Sharm
    What do you mean by preloader?
    Oct 4, 2017
  19. gstv87
    gstv87
    caching of resources, so they're already in memory at the time of generating the sprites, so the game won't have to load the battlers as the scene changes to battle, so you won't have to worry about waiting, so you can use larger sprites since loading time is not an issue.
    as I said, WIP, right now it loads the entire game into memory, so it floods the memory like crazy.
    but, the transitions are flawless.
    Oct 4, 2017
  20. Sharm
    Sharm
    Oh, I see. You're talking about a plugin. Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. Not that I can do anything with it ATM, but more frames available would be nice.
    Oct 4, 2017
  21. gstv87
    gstv87
    sure, drop me a pm, we'll figure something out.
    Oct 4, 2017
  22. Poryg
    Poryg
    @gstv87 Perhaps you could load these battlers on transition from menu - because that is the time when you change party.
    Oct 6, 2017