RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
It can go both ways, really. It all depends on your audience. Edgy is frequently seen as teen drama - overly depressing or angsty themes, gore, views or ideals born of inexperience or lack of wisdom, etc. I have a soft spot for it for a few reasons: it reminds me of my teen years, and I've always liked darker concepts in stories.
The Stranger
The Stranger
The cliche dark, brooding, anti-hero who does nothing but point out the negative aspects of mankind can be seen as edgy, for example.
Dirge
Dirge
Ever played Overwatch? Reaper is solidly edgy. "This... is my curse..." "Death walks among you..."
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Did edgy just replace emo? They sound very similar. emo's also dress in black and speak depressingly. I wonder if there's a connection.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@FleshToDust Similar themes for sure. Goths can also be seen as edgy. Man, I miss my goth days. :D
Kuro DCupu
Kuro DCupu
hmm, that's explain why my story about an emo MC who lost both his once-legendary parents, hate humanity, and just awakened his darkness energy is called edgy...
Kes
Kes
This might make for a good debate in the 'General Discussion' forum. There are a lot of aspects which could be developed that would go far beyond what a Status Update could cover.
starlight dream
starlight dream
@Kuro DCupu How you describe your MC sounds like the definition given for edgy^.^
Anything you create, some will like it, others won't. But any extreme character can be worked to be likeable by the player. If his decisions make sense and are successful, the MC is respected over time.

And I think @Kes is right. Kuro DCupu, your question is great for a forum topic!
starlight dream
starlight dream
@FleshToDust That's a good point. It sounds so much like emo.^^

I remember in Drakengard there was an NPC/Ally who was constantly pessimistic and depressive. "We're all doomed. It's over."
At some point the hero slaps/hits him. That was my FAVOURITE moment of the whole game :p
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
@starlight dream Oh that slap must of been awesome! You finally get to see payback for the character complaining all the time!
The Stranger
The Stranger
See, I missed out on the characters in Drakengard because the game was just so boring. I got up to what the story claimed was an Elven forest\kingdom, but couldn't muster the willpower to continue. I really wanted to see the baby eating Elf woman, too. :(

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlosr