RPG Maker Forums

Jonforum
Jonforum
a pizza its 40$, and it takes 40 minutes of work to cook.
a game or a software take 2 yr of hard work and a lot of study and people complains about $ 40 selling.

we live in a generation that would like to have all and free cost.
taarna23
taarna23
Honestly, a big motivator behind this is free games with exploitative gameplay design is a big reason behind this. People see they're getting something for free. They don't see the terrible gameplay the further you go, or all the ads, or the loot boxes. They just see the price tag. Free.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
They do realize that RPG Maker MV released at a cost of $75, right? If you got the money for it and want it, buy it. $60 seems pretty cheap to me, to be quite honest. Especially considering how expensive it is for me to want all the stuff on this website.
Jonforum
Jonforum
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Before getting upset that people are complaining, it's better to first find out how many are really complaining. You will always have a percentage of people that oppose something but I've often seen people on youtube saying "all the people that say x in the comments are blah blah" yet when I read the comments I can't find anyone saying it.
taarna23
taarna23
Unfortunately, it's the small groups like this that tend to have the loudest voices. Which means when people unfamiliar with the software/game/whatever in question, this becomes a lot of what they see when researching.
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
hahah they does a lots and I know which other VN who people speak about and I tried it....buggy a lots not offers a lots of customisation.
Honestly, Renpy is also good just require a LOTS of programming knowledge behind it.
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
LOL I like how if I say the word R E N P Y its transfert it to snake XD
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
But yeah people who are serious about making a game will do their research and price won't be as big a factor. Unity is free but you need more programming knowledge and a lot more time to make an rpg in there. That's where the RM price tag comes in and people decided they would rather pay the $75 than spend years trying to figure out how to do everything in unity.

Time vs Money
Sharm
Sharm
It isn't everyone, the people here understand that game development costs money and so aren't having any difficulties with the price. I've seen it on steam (expected) and on news sites that talk about gaming stuff. In those it's pretty much all the comments, but these are people with casual interests who haven't even downloaded the free options.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
You never know. They may say it's too much money, get some free engine and realize they have to do a lot more work and later decide to buy VNM. Also yeah those comments are probably from people that don't intend to make a game. If I was in need of an engine and VNM allowed me to get my project done faster than another engine, that's worth a small one time fee.
Sharm
Sharm
I wasn't guessing, the comments were things like "Too expensive! I've never tried [insert other engine here] but it's [free, only $17, ect], why does this one cost so much?"
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
I wouldn't worry about them. By their own words they aren't the target audience.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Most people who say, "This is free, X costs too much money!" are usually children without jobs, whom they couldn't convince mommy and daddy to buy them a $75 program for them. I always tell such people, "why don't you mow lawns, walk dogs, or pick up a paper route? You might find it less expensive if you had more money to spend."
Sharm
Sharm
The worry isn't for the people complaining who aren't the target market, but that on these news sites they were literally the only comments. Not a single one defended the price. That's sad in a way unrelated to making VN's at all.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Hmm it might be just because it's new. The people interested in it might be quieter. I know before getting unity I researched a lot and never made comments. Before getting MV I was also quiet and didn't leave comments anywhere. I think that's just how new products are.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
There is a phenomena called "The Silent Majority". It basically states that the vast majority of people don't really express their opinion on something unless prompted to do so. They do what they do, they don't get involved, and vote with their feet/wallet.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
It's rare that a person tells a restaurant their food sucks. It's less rare they remain silent and just stop showing up. Same applies to pretty much any business. Why tell someone a price of a product is reasonable? If it's reasonable, you just buy the product. Right? Or, if it's not, you just save up to buy it, if you REALLY want it. Right?
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Once it's released the numbers will decide if it's reasonable or not. Then the real buzz begins.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
To be quite honest, I'd buy VN Maker if I had any kind of plan to make a game with it. Or, if I knew really anything about the VN genre other than, "I love anime made from VN's". That's probably what's going to be the deciding factor for a lot of people. Being a fan of VN's to begin with.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

This little slime tower defence game is really coming together nicely :)
So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RavynHawk