RPG Maker Forums

cabfe
cabfe
Do people really need a special day to deal with their problems? Or to help other people?
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the point of that kind of International <insert_anything_here> Days.
The Stranger
The Stranger
You're right, people shouldn't need special days, but that's the way of the world at the moment. We are currently divided based on these things. Plus, men suffer things which women don't, and visa versa. It's important, now that society has changed in fairly drastic ways, for men to have their issues discussed; because men are as equally important as women.
The Stranger
The Stranger
IMD focuses on all men and all male related issues: slavery, high suicide rate, high workplace death, low life expectancy, skewed family laws, high homeless population, male diseases, etc. It's fairly important in current times, and does a fair amount of good.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
For me every day is mens day.
Amysaurus
Amysaurus
They don’t, but there’s good to be found in days like these making people think about the issues. A big problem nowadays is people gushing on social media about X day, but putting no further thoughts/actions towards the problems these days are addressing.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Is today Fathers day or something?
The Stranger
The Stranger
@FleshToDust International Men's Day.

@Amysaurus That's a huge problem on every front. People like to moan about poverty and what not, but do nothing beyond write condemning articles on obscure blogs, or tweet about it. People also become far too tribalistic and extreme when it comes to politics, tackling various issues, etc. They support one side and refuse to acknowledge the other, which isn't a good way to live.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Oh. Yeah I forgot we have special days for men and women, though I don't think we need them. If we just live our lives why do we need a day to say "ok today we focus on men/womens issues"? What does focusing on those issues mean? That for one day we acknowledge the other side has problems? Does it actually lead to anything or just a feel good moment?
The Stranger
The Stranger
@FleshToDust IMD brings these issues to the attention of the masses, the government, and supports charities which also help remedy these problems. I agree with you, though. We shouldn't have to have dedicated days for men and women, but that's how things have panned out for us.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Another good thing about IMD, similar to IWD, is that it brings problems from around the world to our attention. So, it's not just the plight of Western men, but all men; it's why they discuss honour based crimes, slavery, and other things we commonly don't experience in the West. I'm glad the UK government now formally recognises IMD.
starlight dream
starlight dream
@cabfe I found your post funny. But dark humor is my comfort zone.^^
Nov.19 is also "Women's Entrepreneurship Day" and "World Toilet Day" but of course IMD gets all the attention jk
I find it sad that we have these dedicated days.Bringing up issues once a year isn't a good approach IMO + the most popular ones end up commercialized. Have you tried visiting a cemetery on Fathers/Mothers day?
Reactions: cabfe
The Stranger
The Stranger
@starlight dream I have, there's usually a lot of people visiting their fallen fathers and mothers. These modern celebrations and festivals are simply replacing those we no longer adhere to.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@starlight dream We will never be free of observing various traditions, special days, etc, because they all serve a purpose in our lives. Many are religious, others are political or simply cultural. IMD and IWD are political at the moment, but eventually they'll become celebrations of men and women.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
I don't think it will be celebrated. I think anything politicized will breed hatred in people. Men will be wary of women and women will be wary of men. This isn't healthy and it will effect how they view these special days.
starlight dream
starlight dream
@The Stranger I meant that the cemeteries are desolate on most other days. It seems at times that people are so disconnected from others that a dedicated day cleans off the guilt of being apart the rest of the year. FleshToDust mentioned above that such days can bring out a feel-good feeling without actual change. It's what I was thinking about.
starlight dream
starlight dream
@The Stranger These celebrations have become about buying gifts, flowers, going out. It's a bit silly. When we can make our loved ones feel special everyday. Idk.
IMD is different because it's about bringing up issues. But it's too bad it's not an everyday matter.
starlight dream
starlight dream
@FleshToDust you said "If we just live our lives why do we need a day to say "ok today we focus on men/womens issues"?"
In an ideal world we wouldn't need that. But unfortunately the world is filled with problems specifically related to genders, ages, living conditions, health, etc. So it's natural that groups will fight for awareness.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
@starlight dream That's true. I don't really have an answer about these special days but I do know there will always be problems and will never go away. Is it worth men and women becoming hostile towards each other just to try fixing something that can never be fixed?

I don't know, I've been spending a bit thinking about these things and I have a lot of thoughts on my mind. Way more than a 140 characters will allow.
starlight dream
starlight dream
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
In my mind I can say "men have this problem and I think this should be done to help" and also "women have this and this could help to fix it". I can do both on the same day, even the same minute but that's only because I don't keep up with politics. Some people change after being shaped politically because the news for example likes to pit people against each other, declare a victim and an accuser.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just had a stranger SPRINT away from me in the grocery store. Talk about overreaction...
...I don't think I'm that ugly! ^-^
I wonder if I can go outside ye-

Government: lemme stop you right there
Alright, who's playing Jumanji? And whose turn is it?!
*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrOrgazm