RPG Maker Forums

Llareian
Llareian
It seems like there's some "Made with MV" games out there that really push this limit.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I only know what was written, so it's probably best to ask someone in charge about it if you want to know more. You can drop the core scripts entirely if you don't care about the store and bundled resources, but you need to abide by these rules if you want to use anything in the store. Like I said, though, best to ask one of the higher ups for clarification. :)
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Llareian There are. I think that was the point of this official statement. How much can you change\do before your game stops being "Made in MV"? I can understand why it had to be done.
Poryg
Poryg
I see. It is still as confusing as ever, because there are still no legal boundaries as to what is made in MV and what is not made in MV. After all, even if you do ditch all core scripts (which are shared under MIT license, so that makes them publicly available and usable anywhere), you still use around half of the default engine.
Llareian
Llareian
I like what Lunarea says later in the thread: "Of course, it's also important to note that this definition is there so you know what's ok out-of-the-box and what requires special permission/license."...
Llareian
Llareian
"If your project does use a lot of customized tools and/or bypasses the need to use MV extensively, just contact us for permission. It doesn't automatically mean you're out of luck and can't make your game. It just means that projects that don't fit those initial guidelines will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis."
Poryg
Poryg
However, since I plan to ditch RTP anyway, I don't think I need to care about that :D (once I have some money again, I'll buy some resources from the outside).
Poryg
Poryg
well, time for me to go off for a bit, catch you later :p
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Poryg Yeah, it started to sound contradictory at times, too. xD I'd ask someone from Degica very specific questions about the core script stuff.

Just thought I'd share this. I'm not trying to rain on your parade.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Llareian Nice find. :D So, it boils down to simply asking.
Poryg
Poryg
Actually, it's not raining down on my parade. I am not knowledgeable about everything and I know it, so it's not like I get mad when someone argues with me. However, I'm the exact opposite of what normal person is. What isn't restricted, is allowed. So as long as there are no boundaries for it (which are hard to define), I'm not worried about that.
Poryg
Poryg
The worst thing is, the EULA is missing... Edit: I found one here, which indeed says that the company assets cannot be used upon using 3rd party software wiwithout consent. Not sure how official/up to date it is though. https://rmmv.neocities.org/page/02.html#m05
Poryg
Poryg
However, point 5 is formulated in such a sketchy way because of the etc point, because what is a 3rd party creation tool? A plug-in? A software yeah. But a script? A plugin? It could be formulated as though you'd not be able to use these resources the moment you use the first plug-in :D
The Stranger
The Stranger
I don't bother trying to make heads or tails of EULAs and other legal documents, because they're always written in legalese. I keep an eye out for important details, but I have no real understanding of legal documents.
Poryg
Poryg
The thing is, agreements usually have certain things defined so that it is clear what they mean. RMMV eula (btw. found it now, it is hidden inside Help file) is written in such a way that it completely does not explain anything. They also have a GNU license there, but I can't find anything they licensed under GNU!
The Stranger
The Stranger
I hate the way they tend to just ramble on about terms and what not without actually saying anything at all. Legalese is why lawyers exist. :D
Poryg
Poryg
Read the article 5 though, that is really fun. There are so many etc. that even a lawyer must wonder here.
Kes
Kes
@Poryg I suggest you pm Admin and get clarification. I am not an authority, but it looks to me as if you are getting close to the boundaries, if you haven't already gone over them.
Poryg
Poryg
I am not going to contact an admin, @Kes. If I'm forbidden from using RTP, so be it, I don't intend to use it anyway. But there's a potentially huge legal issue for thousands of games due to MV's EULA overusing "etc." and I can't leave it like that. So I'm creating a forum thread in MV improvement boards.
Poryg
Poryg
OK, I had a discussion about that and understand it more properly. If you want to use default game assets, you are allowed to make modifications, even huge modifications if you keep the structure, but the more you modify, the better it is to ask just to be safe. Then there is a difference between using things to create a game and in creaing a game.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

in my game, what's known as HeadSpace is combining with the real world...
oh looks like the forums updated while I wasn't looking and we can put a banner now. Neat!
Treating this as a devlog
Finally feel well enough to sketch. Took twenty minutes to find the tablet. Another ten for the cable. Only to discover that my Clip Studio Pro license has expired. Yup. Gonna be one of those days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coyoteandghost