Comments on Profile Post by Sharm

1. Sharm
    Sharm
    Who would have guessed that something as amazing as a Mass Spectrometer would look so dull? :LZSbleh: Sci-fi has given me unrealistic expectations.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Matseb2611 and The Stranger like this.
  2. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Ha-Ha! Sci-Fi has spoiled you. I think MRI scanners look kinda cool.
    Dec 5, 2017
  3. Sharm
    Sharm
    Eh, I guess they're impressive due to sheer size, but they're really just a big white doughnut with tongue depressor bed. Wouldn't be fun to pixel at all. I was looking for something ambiguously techy anyway, so it'd fit as well in a school as a hospital as a military base, you know? Maybe I should look up industrial equipment instead, that stuff always looks really interesting.
    Dec 5, 2017
  4. Joy Diamond
    Joy Diamond
    Go for the really old computers with spinning tapes ... I used to have to program them by using the toggle switches to boot them ... See PDP 8L ... Short 8 second video ... it was real fun when the paper tape spilled on the floor ...
    Dec 5, 2017
    Sharm and The Stranger like this.
  5. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Sharm I think you might be right. The fact that they take up a whole room, and can have a stronger magnetic force than the Earth, is what impresses me. Industrial machines can look cool. I've always been a fan of old machines simply because of how big and clunky they were.
    Dec 5, 2017
  6. MikePjr
    MikePjr
    Lab? Like beakers and vials?
    Dec 5, 2017
  7. Sharm
    Sharm
    Yeah, that kind of lab, but I didn't want beakers and vials, I wanted a machine of some sort that could be recognizable as doing sciency things. Looking up industrial equipment was a little better, but still not quite right. Maybe I'll look up sci-fi references and get something less real but more interesting and expected. :LZYcheeze:
    Dec 5, 2017
  8. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    It does! A lot of them use very outdated equipment. When I was doing my uni lab work (back in 2009-2010, so not long ago), many of the computers still used Floppy disks!
    Dec 5, 2017
    Sharm likes this.
  9. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Some suggestions for lab things - petridishes, gel electrophoresis equipment, titration equipment, perhaps liquid nitrogen tanks.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Sharm likes this.
  10. Sharm
    Sharm
    Oh, good suggestions, I think I can make use of these.
    Dec 6, 2017
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  11. Sharm
    Sharm
    I'm also a child of the 80's so when you say floppy, I think of those giant ones that were actually floppy. I assume you mean the hard plastic ones with the metal slider? If not that's pretty scary.
    Dec 6, 2017
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  12. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Dec 6, 2017
  13. Joy Diamond
  14. Sharm
    Sharm
    Wow, that looks a lot like mine. Not sure I could turn it into something that didn't look like a rice cooker but it is visually interesting.
    Dec 6, 2017
    Marquise* and Joy Diamond like this.
  15. Marquise*
    Marquise*
    Hope you found more now ^^
    Dec 25, 2017
  16. Sharm
    Sharm
    No, I just paused this particular part of the project for now and have been working on other parts. No worries, I'll figure something out.
    Dec 25, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  17. Marquise*
    Marquise*
    No truobles. BTW take a look on YouTube upon very first televisions. It might looks something else that we do not know of. :D

Merry Christmas.
    Dec 25, 2017
    Matseb2611 and Sharm like this.