Shaz likes this.
  2. Shaz
    Shaz
    oh, that happened after the very first one! :D
    Dec 9, 2017
    starlight dream likes this.
  3. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Have you tried the canvases that come in a pad? They're good for beginners and cost less usually.
    Dec 9, 2017
    Shaz likes this.
  4. GrandmaDeb
    GrandmaDeb
    /me snuggles Shaz.
    Dec 9, 2017
    Shaz likes this.
  5. Shaz
    Shaz
    @starlight dream yes, I've been using them for a while. 10 sheets for $10 is pretty good value when practicing, but they're very small (A3). Next size up is only available in the art store, and that's 10 sheets for $50, so quite a big jump. That's more expensive than the canvas packs above, and not as good to use.
    Dec 9, 2017
  6. mlogan
    mlogan
    Does Amazon ship there? They usually have good deals on them. I’d offer to ship you the Michael’s ones as I can usually get further discounts, but I have a feeling shipping costs from here would make it pointless.
    Dec 9, 2017
  7. Shaz
    Shaz
    Maybe it depends who you go with. I priced a Bob Ross easel from Jerry's Artarama. Easel was $170, shipping was $1,800. Then I found one on ebay where easel was around the same (can't remember without looking it up) and shipping was $75. I'd need to find someone who HAD a pack and get them to price shipping to Aus.
    Dec 10, 2017
  8. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Are those 16x20 from Michael's, canvas boards or stretched canvas? Which company makes them?

That's a nice price for sure!
    Dec 10, 2017
  9. Shaz
    Shaz
    Dec 10, 2017
  10. Hollow 1977
    Hollow 1977
    Sucks. How is the painting going?
    Dec 11, 2017
  11. Shaz
    Shaz
    I only tried one on the weekend, and went a bit pear-shaped so I didn't finish it. Do oil paints "melt" in hot/humid weather? It seemed very soft.
    Dec 11, 2017
  12. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Meh. Michael's doesn't ship to Canada either. :(
    Maybe you can find a good Australian online shop to save on the shipping.

Do you mean that the paint of the tube looked soft, or that it melted off the canvas?
    I've no 1st hand experience with oil paints but some take a lot of time to dry. If the painting stays in sunlight it probably slows down the drying too.
    Dec 11, 2017
  13. Shaz
    Shaz
    When I was mixing it with the knife, it was soft like butter. Much softer than it usually is. So it went on in "blobs" rather than just the tips of the bristles, if you know what I mean. I know it's going to be even softer, but I'm going to try one with water-soluble oil paint this weekend - just one with 2-3 colours.
    Dec 11, 2017