RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
@overlordmikey I'm still not entirely sure what you mean when you say NPCs talk about being straight. I agree with you. I agree wholeheartedly! It should be perfectly fine for characters to casually mention their boyfriend\girlfriend while being gay; especially if the story takes place within a society in which being gay is a non-issue.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@overlordmikey See, that's perfectly fine. They're not doing anything out of the ordinary, just living together and raising a family. They're not standing on the street telling the bloke who asked them for the time that they're gay. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. :)
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@The Stranger I get what yer saying completely - I think this is more an issue of the internet making it hard to get across a point.
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@The Stranger - that said - come on - you know we all want some guy who you can ask the time and he's like "I'M FREAKING GAY." Then the lead can be "Um, me too?" and they're both silent for a moment and the NPCs like "I have no more dialogue!"
SOC
SOC
I kind've like cliches and tropes to be honest. There's a lot of great games with them, and there's a lot more bad games without them. I think especially in RPG Maker community, people try too hard to avoid them and end up making some really bad stuff with no cohesion or sense of purpose in their projects. Use them, but use them well and responsibly. If they fit your project, then great! Don't avoid just to avoid.
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@SOC YEAH! Tropes are our friends. They are the glue that holds our stories and games together. ^_^
starlight dream
starlight dream
@The Stranger I think it depends on the game's overall content & the depth of the worldbuilding. If sexuality is barely skimmed in the game it wouldn't make sense to me why it's relevant to NPCs.
If the game contains lusty sexuality just for the sake to grab attention then even tokenism would fit.
In more serious fantasy worldbuilding each element must be weighed in carefully(& I think you're this type of creator?)^^
Vincent Chu
Vincent Chu
I think it seems unrealistic for most NPCs to even bother talking to the party in general without good reason. Maybe we can have some town gossip characters talk about other NPCs being gay and also overhear some conversations related to that too.
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@Vincent Chu
Damn gossips:
"Have you head that unmarried couple Bill and Harold are taking in a child!"
"Uhg, times sure have changed - I bet those boys will bring doom upon our little village!"
Vincent Chu
Vincent Chu
Also, maybe if it's a modern or sci-fi game, you can have something like a gay bar instead of a medieval tavern/pub.
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@Vincent Chu - I honestly think it would be awesome to meet yer badarse grizzled hard drinking guy in a gay bar.
Girl: I know where we can meet someone who might be able to help us! [brings you to the gay bar*]
*I know some girls like gay bars for men cause they don't have to worry as much about getting hit on.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Vincent Chu I like how the vast majority of NPCs in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines wont talk to you, and will quite literally tell you to leave them alone. Only those who hold some importance in the world (quest givers, vendors, etc) will speak to you. Usually, all of these NPCs will have tasks for you to do, too.
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@The Stranger ironically Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodline has an "unofficial" (despite being made by one of the creators) patch to fix several issues with the game THAT actually made the game more friendly for gay male players (as the game already feature plenty of lesbian options).
Vincent Chu
Vincent Chu
I've thought of a very lazy dialogue for interacting with most of my NPCs. That is the MC saying, "There's no reason for me to talk to this person."
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@Vincent Chu I think a more realistic reaction would be for you to observe something about the person rather than chat with them (Something like 'She's checking her watch a lot, must be waiting for someone')
The Stranger
The Stranger
@overlordmikey It's fantastic that such an old game is still getting so much love from the community. It's my favourite game of all time! The latest unofficial patch allows you to make vampires with the homosexual history\backstory. No idea what it does, though - the rest change your stats in some way.
overlordmikey
overlordmikey
@The Stranger it's one of those games I always regret not playing, ya know. I'll play it someday though... probably.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@overlordmikey That's the best solution for this whole thing. You could have players discover things about characters through observation or sleuthing. This info doesn't even need to do anything, but it could also open up new dialogue options. Back to VTMB, if you hack the laptop in the nightclub downtown, you discover the club owner and the street vendor are in a mistress\slave relationship.
Vincent Chu
Vincent Chu
What console is the game on by the way?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think the characters are really too short. Should at least add a little more
Just the legs should be longer.
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist ---

Survivalist: I going to Test you: How to make the Fire.
F.Mage: That easy. (Preparing the Spell) EXPLOSIVE!!!
(an Explosion on the Wood Branch then Fire is Appeared)
F.Mage: (Proud Face) See?
Survivalist: (Angry Tone) MAGIC ISN'T ALLOWED!!!
Recent threads, and my very poor algorithm for my minimap plugin have made me face the fact that I need to review algorithms and such.

Going through Cracking the Coding Interview now. I am so excited.
Kes
I've seen a reference to a Community Lighting plugin for MZ, but cannot find it. Is it still in beta?

Todo:
Add fog of war
Add enemy indicators
Make window draggable
Optimise map drawing algorithm (5 seconds to load the map you see, so it's a... poo-poo algorithm)

Any suggestions? :kaoblush:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaredLevi