RPG Maker Forums

Poryg
Poryg
I was dressed completely normally, had my normal shoes on, normal winter jacket and shorts. I can see the point of it. However, and I completely regret not asking that question: It is winter, temperatures below 0. Isn't it strange to even see someone walk in shorts, let alone come to job interview in ones?
Shaz
Shaz
Yeah, I think so. On a only-very-slightly-related topic, I feel the cold terribly, so I'm always rugged up in winter. The year I was pregnant with my son though, I wore t-shirt and shorts the entire winter. And he (now 16) barely feels the cold at all!
Shaz
Shaz
re shorts - I think it depends on what the job is, too. Shorts would be perfectly fine for interviews for some jobs, not so much for others.
Poryg
Poryg
Of course I don't mind walking in these low temperatures in shorts. However, it would have completely changed the way it may look. Because a normal person won't be walking around in shorts in temps below 0.
Poryg
Poryg
I feel the cold a lot. And essentially when your clothes get soaked in cold, it doesn't matter if you are wearing shorts or long pants, these clothes still emit coldness. So I don't see too much difference in it. However, I don't feel cold in my legs too much, ever since I fell into a frozen lake and wore the soaked pants for 6 hours afterwards.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I've been in the same boat. No one wants to hire you if you don't look the part, but few ever stop to think if you can afford to look the part. I also have no one to borrow clothes from, and those I once knew are much smaller than me; so borrowing clothes is out of the question. People always tell you to go out and find work, as if it's that easy.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I love stupid interview questions, though. I once had an employer pick up an empty DVD case, didn't even have a sleeve in it, and tell me to sell it to him. As if approaching customers in HMV and selling them things directly was common practice. You feel like a dog being forced to jump through hoops to even get your foot in the door.
Tuomo L
Tuomo L
What clothes did you wear and what sort of a job did you apply for?
Poryg
Poryg
As mentioned above, I had my standard outdoor shoes, shorts and a winter jacket. I applied for some sort of a call centrum-ish service seller, except these people knew I was gonna call them more or less. The company was a delivery service provider.
mlogan
mlogan
To be honest, I can’t imagine many jobs where shorts would be acceptable for an interview. I recently dressed up for an interview at a gym, even though I know I will be wearing shorts/athletic pants and t-shirts for the job.I’d rather err on being over dressed for an interview than too casual.
Tuomo L
Tuomo L
Was it really that cold that you had to wear a winter jacket indoors?

Why are you wearing a winter jacket and shorts at the same time? In fact, why are you even wearing shorts if it's cold? Do you not own a pair of pants?

Honestly speaking, if someone came to me applying for a job wearing winter and summer clothing together, I'd think that they weren't all right in the head.
Poryg
Poryg
I wore the winter jacket indoors simply because 1. it wasn't hot enough for me to take it off and 2. I see no difference between having it on me and carrying it around in my hands.
As for the trousers, two pairs of them... I grew out of them, and the third is 8 years old and full of holes.
Poryg
Poryg
The only trousers I have left are my formal suit's trousers. And I'm not going to take these to every interview, since they are a pain to keep clean if you want them to last a while.
Tuomo L
Tuomo L
You're telling me that place had no coat rack anywhere?

You should have worn pants. You can get them from like flea markets and such for like less than big mac meal.
Poryg
Poryg
It had. With around 60 winter jackets on it. In the work area. But at the reception there was none (I wouldn't leave it there even if there was) and in the room where I was interviewed there was none. I could have just put the winter jacket on the chair I was sitting on, but then again, I see no reason to when I'll be leaving soon anyway.
Tuomo L
Tuomo L
Then, you shouldn't wonder why people don't want to hire you if you don't want to do the minimal effort of taking off your jacket for like 5 minutes.

Seriously, had you shown up like that anywhere you'd probably not get hired unless they were desperate for workers since you give a really bad first impression.
Golden Unicorn Gaming
Golden Unicorn Gaming
@The Mighty Palm is 100% correct. His advice should be heeded. Always overdress. Always dress for success. Exude confidence. Dress = first impressions. Don't ever give a company the excuse to conclude they wasted their time on you. The only people who can get away with not dressing business formal in a job interview are the top .00001% genius kids who have companies begging and seeking to employ THEM.
Poryg
Poryg
Have you ever seen me confident?
When I get confident, I get aggressive and very competitive. While it would be very interesting to get in a clash with the interviewer, I'm not entirely sure it is a viable solution. Not many of them can even stand me looking them in the eyes, because it's a firm stare.
Tuomo L
Tuomo L
I don't think that you understand the core of this problem.
Golden Unicorn Gaming
Golden Unicorn Gaming
Nothing I mentioned was meant to translate to confrontational or competitive. In an interview you are selling yourself. You are making a statement that you are an asset. You are declaring that you will have more worth to a company than what they are willing to pay you (otherwise why would they hire you?). It begins with image. That's all I'm saying.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can the Eternal Dreamers finish off the final boss? We'll see!
Fekken kill me. I unknowingly swapped out two important events's codes and saved the game to test it. I'm just doing this for fun and the fun has now been replaced with excruciating torture.
Is this how game developers feel all the time?

EDIT:
WAIT HOLY S***
MY LAST POST ASKING FOR HELP ON AN EVENT ACTUALLY SAVED IT
OH MY GOD
Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
I was making a cutscene where Hero's dad got killed by the dragon but when he lose its say game over and send you to the tittle screen. How can remove game over for that cutscene
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charles2020